U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 02:55 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,709,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Depending on how drastic of a polar shift, pilots may have to start using VFR, and not rely on the ILS, until all the latitude, and the logitude GPS coordinates are reprogrammed into the many systems used by pilots. Of course with a drastic shift of the poles, the earth will also experience drastic climate changes, where you could see snow storms in Phoenix, in the middle of July, and 110 degrees in January, in Anchorage, Alaska. It could even cause other catastrophic conditions, so aviation would be the least of our worries.

Personally, I don't think anything will happen on December 21st, 2012. It would take a very large astroid or another planetary body to cause a sudden and a drastic shift of the poler regions.
The change in poles could allow solar flares to affect our satellites and maybe life on earth, if there's a 90 degree shift in the magnetosphere, wouldn't it? BTW, why is my italics stuck?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 04:42 PM

54,085 posts, read 32,495,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
The change in poles could allow solar flares to affect our satellites and maybe life on earth, if there's a 90 degree shift in the magnetosphere, wouldn't it? BTW, why is my italics stuck?
Solar flares affect satelites slightly, even without any shifts in the poles, but a 90-degree shift would definitely be a major catastrophy, then a chain reaction of other catastrophic events caused by such a shift, like tidal waves, major climate changes that will cause flooding, very strong hurricanes, and tornadoes like we've never seen before.

On the italics getting stuck... I don't think that's caused by shifts in the poles... FYI, place the [i] syntax, at the beginning of the italic text, which is an instruction to the web application to start the italic text, then a [ /i ] (without the spaces) right after the last word you want italicized. Example:
Normal text [ i ] (an "I" enclosed in the square brackets without the spaces) Italic text starts here, then [ /I ] to end the Italic text.

Also, if you click on the "I" symbol at the top left of the text window where you type your message, you'll see the application placing the Italic symbols for you.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:02 PM

5,473 posts, read 9,120,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Solar flares affect satelites slightly, even without any shifts in the poles, but a 90-degree shift would definitely be a major catastrophy, then a chain reaction of other catastrophic events caused by such a shift, like tidal waves, major climate changes that will cause flooding, very strong hurricanes, and tornadoes like we've never seen before.
Are you talking about a sudden change of the global poles? Or the magnetic poles?

Old 01-25-2011, 05:55 PM

54,085 posts, read 32,495,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Are you talking about a sudden change of the global poles? Or the magnetic poles?
Both, and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, it is also believed that a sudden change in the global poles will cause drastic changes in the magnetic poles as well.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:50 PM

17,785 posts, read 16,010,685 times
There are two sets of poles:
  1. Geographic poles: what the rotational axis of the earth runs through. It is the rotation of the earth about its axis which creates (or assists in creating) the weather, climate, and the tides.
  2. Magnetic poles: generated by the magnetic mass inside the earth. It creates the magnetic field which deflect solar radiation and make compasses work.
There is no mechanical link between the two. If the magnetic poles shift, they will not shift the geographic poles. The only way that I can see the magnetic poles affecting the geographic poles is if the weight of the magnetic mass inside the earth were to shift in such a way that it would cause the earth's rotational axis to be nudged from where it is today. But the shift would be caused by the weight, not by the magnetism. The geographic poles do shift minutely when there are major earthquakes.

In order for the geographic poles to shift dramatically, we would need to be hit by a very large asteroid, meteor, etc. In this case, it may or may not affect the magnetic axis. But like MagnumMike said, it will be the least of our worries.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:40 PM

167 posts, read 297,544 times
Wow - Great reading and lots to think about!

When I originally posted, I posted under the idea that the magnetic poles would suddenly, drastically - flip - or move very far to the opposite orientation. I wondered then if something like that would have an affect on the tilt or movement of the planet itself, leading to weather and temperature changes, etc.

Sorry to have caused any confusion with my original post, but at least it has shown that there is a lot to think about with a scenario like this . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature