U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2011, 06:47 PM

27,091 posts, read 7,602,623 times

Advertisements

Wondering what your ideas for US travel with a "nature theme"would be....something less well-known than say Grand Canyon (awesome).

I found these to be amazing:

Coastal Maine and Arcadia National Park-beautiful, with trees and rocks, mountains and fog all along the coast..and lakes and loons, with their eerie calls...lupines in bloom

NC Outer Banks barrier islands/Pea Island Wildlife Refuge and Mattamuskeet Lake:

for over-wintering birds, ducks, geese and swans (thousands of swans together on this lake during winter).

Hiking Appalacian Trail for personal/private nature experiences through Great Smokey National Park-awesome views.

New Mexico and Arizona for the desert climate, cacti and natural, weathered surroundings. Sonoran Desert Museum is wonderful, located outside Tucson. Saw coati for first time. Window Rock, Navajo Reservation ...weathered rock formed into a circle of sorts, so you look through...Painted Desert in shades of gray, pink, peach, etc. Pronghorns ie antelope. Taos Pueblo, earthen Taos tribe homes very old and fascinating...

South Florida/Everglades area-vast birdlife, declining now though: wood storks, pink ibis, purple gallinule etc. A park like no other, a watery-grassy wonder.

What about you...places and areas you think are natural wonders?

gbh
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 01:24 AM

1,494 posts, read 2,996,557 times
I've travelled to several places located in the mid Atlantic region , mostly confined to the Carolinas , Tennessee , and parts of Virginia. Of the ones I've been to , I enjoy mountainous areas most , having a 'firsthand' glimpse of the effects of plate tectonics and sedimentary demarcations in rock faces. None of these trips are complete without fishing tackle , though. Some of the more memorable places include Morrow Mtn. State Park , Pilot Mtn. State Park , Uwharrie and certain areas of Pisgah National forests , located in N.Carolina. I saw a doe every bit the size of a zebra in 2007 , on a clear morning in 6 degree temps. That day was interesting , albeit no luck with the fishing. I have several pics on my cellular , but am unable to post them at this time.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature