Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-09-2012, 10:57 AM
 
Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,000,387 times
Reputation: 9418

Advertisements

It wasn't today but I once took my kids to Dick's Drive-In and we sat in the parking lot eating hamburgers and fries. The ravens came around waiting for a crumb to drop so I tossed them a piece of my hamburger. I was shocked to see them take it but even moreso to see them take it to a water puddle and wash the catsup off first. LOL I've been reading about ravens ever since. Bernd Heinrich has two (that I know of) books out about just ravens and they're excellent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-09-2012, 11:15 AM
 
6,434 posts, read 5,249,495 times
Reputation: 13564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
It wasn't today but I once took my kids to Dick's Drive-In and we sat in the parking lot eating hamburgers and fries. The ravens came around waiting for a crumb to drop so I tossed them a piece of my hamburger. I was shocked to see them take it but even moreso to see them take it to a water puddle and wash the catsup off first. LOL I've been reading about ravens ever since. Bernd Heinrich has two (that I know of) books out about just ravens and they're excellent.
Smart birds!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2012, 11:41 AM
 
Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,000,387 times
Reputation: 9418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty_FL View Post
Smart birds!
Extremely. They use tools. They wait for people to leave their snow machines up north so they can open the seat compartment and steal the food. Mountain climbers have to be careful when they mark their buried in the snow food with a pole because the ravens are wise to what the pole is for and dig the food up. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2012, 03:42 PM
bjh
 
60,055 posts, read 30,373,238 times
Reputation: 135750
Yep, birds are smart. We should all be bird-brains!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2012, 03:57 PM
 
Location: Nantahala National Forest, NC
27,074 posts, read 11,844,907 times
Reputation: 30347
Love the kingfisher! ^^^

Right now, at 6pm, it is almost dark here...outside my bedrm door, I am listening to two owls, Great Horned I believe, call back and forth. They are quite close, back in the dense woods.... so much fun to listen... feel a true part of nature at this moment too. Checked by listening to their calls on The Owl Site (.com)...so I could be sure
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2012, 10:20 AM
 
4,699 posts, read 3,277,657 times
Reputation: 41868
I looked out the other evening and saw about 20-25 bright red cardinals playing in one of my trees. Beautiful................I've never seen this many cardinals in one spot before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2012, 11:17 AM
 
Location: grooving in the city
7,371 posts, read 6,830,218 times
Reputation: 23537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larksong View Post
I looked out the other evening and saw about 20-25 bright red cardinals playing in one of my trees. Beautiful................I've never seen this many cardinals in one spot before.
That would be so very beautiful. Wow. I love red cardinals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2012, 12:03 PM
 
Location: Gone
1,011 posts, read 1,257,117 times
Reputation: 3589
So so so pretty there is and I did not had a camera with me Oh if I just could describe that beauty by words
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2012, 03:23 PM
 
Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,257,904 times
Reputation: 17596
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Love the kingfisher! ^^^

Right now, at 6pm, it is almost dark here...outside my bedrm door, I am listening to two owls, Great Horned I believe, call back and forth. They are quite close, back in the dense woods.... so much fun to listen... feel a true part of nature at this moment too. Checked by listening to their calls on The Owl Site (.com)...so I could be sure
Funny this should happen to you..

This a.m., I was walking in the area I last spotted my owl friend and I could hear him calling to his buddy right above me. Couldn't spot him in the tree, tho. I walked a little farther, heard his buddy's call close by and found him. We "spoke" for a moment, then he flew off to be closer to Owl One. It just reaffirmed how very lucky I am to be living here and, because of this and some other good things that have happened recently, I just started crying out of sheer joy. Life is good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2012, 03:42 PM
 
Location: Nantahala National Forest, NC
27,074 posts, read 11,844,907 times
Reputation: 30347
That must have been really spectacular! And what a striking bird.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Larksong View Post
I looked out the other evening and saw about 20-25 bright red cardinals playing in one of my trees. Beautiful................I've never seen this many cardinals in one spot before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:09 PM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top