Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2012, 10:57 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,000,387 times

Advertisements

It wasn't today but I once took my kids to Dick's Drive-In and we sat in the parking lot eating hamburgers and fries. The ravens came around waiting for a crumb to drop so I tossed them a piece of my hamburger. I was shocked to see them take it but even moreso to see them take it to a water puddle and wash the catsup off first. LOL I've been reading about ravens ever since. Bernd Heinrich has two (that I know of) books out about just ravens and they're excellent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 11:15 AM

6,434 posts, read 5,249,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
It wasn't today but I once took my kids to Dick's Drive-In and we sat in the parking lot eating hamburgers and fries. The ravens came around waiting for a crumb to drop so I tossed them a piece of my hamburger. I was shocked to see them take it but even moreso to see them take it to a water puddle and wash the catsup off first. LOL I've been reading about ravens ever since. Bernd Heinrich has two (that I know of) books out about just ravens and they're excellent.
Smart birds!

Old 01-09-2012, 11:41 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,000,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty_FL View Post
Smart birds!
Extremely. They use tools. They wait for people to leave their snow machines up north so they can open the seat compartment and steal the food. Mountain climbers have to be careful when they mark their buried in the snow food with a pole because the ravens are wise to what the pole is for and dig the food up. LOL

Old 01-09-2012, 03:42 PM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,373,238 times
Yep, birds are smart. We should all be bird-brains!

Old 01-09-2012, 03:57 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,844,907 times
Love the kingfisher! ^^^

Right now, at 6pm, it is almost dark here...outside my bedrm door, I am listening to two owls, Great Horned I believe, call back and forth. They are quite close, back in the dense woods.... so much fun to listen... feel a true part of nature at this moment too. Checked by listening to their calls on The Owl Site (.com)...so I could be sure

Old 01-10-2012, 10:20 AM

4,699 posts, read 3,277,657 times
I looked out the other evening and saw about 20-25 bright red cardinals playing in one of my trees. Beautiful................I've never seen this many cardinals in one spot before.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:17 AM

7,371 posts, read 6,830,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larksong View Post
I looked out the other evening and saw about 20-25 bright red cardinals playing in one of my trees. Beautiful................I've never seen this many cardinals in one spot before.
That would be so very beautiful. Wow. I love red cardinals.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:03 PM

1,011 posts, read 1,257,117 times
So so so pretty there is and I did not had a camera with me Oh if I just could describe that beauty by words

Old 01-10-2012, 03:23 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,257,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Love the kingfisher! ^^^

Right now, at 6pm, it is almost dark here...outside my bedrm door, I am listening to two owls, Great Horned I believe, call back and forth. They are quite close, back in the dense woods.... so much fun to listen... feel a true part of nature at this moment too. Checked by listening to their calls on The Owl Site (.com)...so I could be sure
Funny this should happen to you..

This a.m., I was walking in the area I last spotted my owl friend and I could hear him calling to his buddy right above me. Couldn't spot him in the tree, tho. I walked a little farther, heard his buddy's call close by and found him. We "spoke" for a moment, then he flew off to be closer to Owl One. It just reaffirmed how very lucky I am to be living here and, because of this and some other good things that have happened recently, I just started crying out of sheer joy. Life is good.

Old 01-10-2012, 03:42 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,844,907 times
That must have been really spectacular! And what a striking bird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larksong View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature