Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2012, 10:28 AM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I think I love you.
Isn't that a line from a Partridge Family song? Anyone seen any partridges?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 10:34 AM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
My nature observation for the day: a weird looking cat

Somebody needs to develop a cat bra!

Old 01-20-2012, 11:07 AM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times
^ That's not natural!

Old 01-20-2012, 01:03 PM

589 posts, read 7,646,045 times
Default Again???

So after yesterday's "Sad Sack" routine I meet up with Herr Squirrel out in the carport again this morning. The bloody cold wind is blowing hard and biting even harder, but he's there desperately hoping for something to put in his now empty belly. He once more sits right where he is, barely 2 feet away from me. We both know that I could reach out, grab him and crush little his skull before he could run but he seems to have faith in my good (???) intentions and doesn't move. Anyway, he gets another meal of sunflower seeds and mixed nuts out of me but although he's now feasting in the shelter of the carport behind the pony wall and out of the fierce sub-zero wind the little urchin is still shivering from prolonged exposure to the cold.

To make a long story short; this puzzles me so I go over to the cherry tree where he's been holed up in a rotted out hollow only to find that the main branch has broken off in the prevailing gale that's lasted nearly a week now and his former shelter is barely useable. After sighing and rolling my eyes I determined what had to be done and drove off to the shop. My partner and all of our employees gave me strange looks as I worked on my project this morning - I just told them it was best not to ask and to merely consider the fact that I'm becoming old and senile.

What I put together was a simple version of this: (I'll let you know if he makes use of it.)

Old 01-20-2012, 01:10 PM

6,434 posts, read 5,249,107 times
Wow! That's big enough for two squirrels to snuggle with room left over. Where did you put it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Grouch View Post
So after yesterday's "Sad Sack" routine I meet up with Herr Squirrel out in the carport again this morning. The bloody cold wind is blowing hard and biting even harder, but he's there desperately hoping for something to put in his now empty belly. He once more sits right where he is, barely 2 feet away from me. We both know that I could reach out, grab him and crush little his skull before he could run but he seems to have faith in my good (???) intentions and doesn't move. Anyway, he gets another meal of sunflower seeds and mixed nuts out of me but although he's now feasting in the shelter of the carport behind the pony wall and out of the fierce sub-zero wind the little urchin is still shivering from prolonged exposure to the cold.

To make a long story short; this puzzles me so I go over to the cherry tree where he's been holed up in a rotted out hollow only to find that the main branch has broken off in the prevailing gale that's lasted nearly a week now and his former shelter is barely useable. After sighing and rolling my eyes I determined what had to be done and drove off to the shop. My partner and all of our employees gave me strange looks as I worked on my project this morning - I just told them it was best not to ask and to merely consider the fact that I'm becoming old and senile.

What I put together was a simple version of this: (I'll let you know if he makes use of it.)

Old 01-20-2012, 01:15 PM

This is an awesome shelter!

Old 01-20-2012, 01:28 PM

589 posts, read 7,646,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty_FL View Post
Wow! That's big enough for two squirrels to snuggle with room left over. Where did you put it?
When I came home for lunch I attached it on the leeward side of the prevailing (north & east) winds to the trunk of our maple tree, about 10' up where the main branches split off. This will be well hidden to predators when the leaves return in the spring and it's not too far up that I hafta do my monkey tree-climbing routine when it comes time to clean it out. (Like I keep tellin' ya...I'm gettin' too damned old for that crap.) I also cut up some strips from an old flannel blanket to put in it; I seem to recall that this particular little annoying rodent took infinite pleasure in chewing the hell out of one similar to it last summer when the wily 11 year old left it out on one the deck chairs overnight.

Ron

Old 01-20-2012, 01:29 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,829,829 times
Quote:

That's a very nice shelter, indeed. I am betting he takes up "squatting rights". If not him, than something else for sure.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:08 PM

6,434 posts, read 5,249,107 times
That's a happy squirrel! You have good karma coming your way, Da Grouch, with or without the Water Dragon!

Quote:
When I came home for lunch I attached it on the leeward side of the prevailing (north & east) winds to the trunk of our maple tree, about 10' up where the main branches split off. This will be well hidden to predators when the leaves return in the spring and it's not too far up that I hafta do my monkey tree-climbing routine when it comes time to clean it out. (Like I keep tellin' ya...I'm gettin' too damned old for that crap.) I also cut up some strips from an old flannel blanket to put in it; I seem to recall that this particular little annoying rodent took infinite pleasure in chewing the hell out of one similar to it last summer when the wily 11 year old left it out on one the deck chairs overnight.

Ron

Old 01-20-2012, 02:15 PM

I would love to see a picture of it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature