Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2012, 09:16 PM

44,346 posts, read 20,047,057 times

Advertisements

Red, the photos of the man and the bird (is that a pelican?) are totally cool! They made me smile. The look on the man's face is priceless!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:48 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,120,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
Red, the photos of the man and the bird (is that a pelican?) are totally cool! They made me smile. The look on the man's face is priceless!

I am certainly no expert but I think that bird ia a "Great White Pelican" that is native to Europe and a couple of other countries outside the US.

It is my guess that the gentleman is european judging by his facial features and the setting appears to be european as well.......again these are just guesses.

In any case.................that is "one very large bird"......I would estimate it to be 3 to 4 times the size of the US white pelicans that I have observed up close in FL & TX.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 05:11 AM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
This is so cool.
I think that pelican likes him too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taigagirl View Post
Great photo redbird. I saw some more brown bunnies hopping through the snow today in my yard. The little terrier across the street saw them too, and starting bouncing up against his living room window...
YOu mean against the invisible forcefield?

Old 03-05-2012, 06:31 AM

6,434 posts, read 5,249,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
I am certainly no expert but I think that bird ia a "Great White Pelican" that is native to Europe and a couple of other countries outside the US.

It is my guess that the gentleman is european judging by his facial features and the setting appears to be european as well.......again these are just guesses.

In any case.................that is "one very large bird"......I would estimate it to be 3 to 4 times the size of the US white pelicans that I have observed up close in FL & TX.
I browsed on the Great White Pelican and it sure is one of those. Since we sometimes have sandhill cranes on the grounds I looked to see which one gets bigger and heavier. Wiki shows this pelican reaching 22lbs, 63"tall with wing span nearly 10 feet. Wiki shows the sandhill crane only 10lbs, elsewhere 14lbs, 3-5 feet tall, wingspan 6 feet. I took the pic at bottom. Wiki says "the plumage is usually much worn and stained" but the few I've seen are clean and bright like the pic. This crane's head would have reached my chin and I'm 5'4". It was coming to me but since I didn't have any food to offer I stayed away.

So looks like the two will reach about the same heights but the pelican is a much heavier bird. Just considering how a 14lb or 20lb cat or dog looks and feels to lift just looks to me like both these birds are heavier than the data. But I don't think I'll be lifting a crane to find out. They are so beautiful. As I took pics one man was getting things from his car and snarling at the crane and me for being excited about the bird. Pi$$ on the snarly man!

Old 03-05-2012, 08:09 PM

1,906 posts, read 1,615,200 times
I don't have any cool photos like those, but the Eastern Bluebirds have arrived!

Old 03-05-2012, 09:25 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Coyote ran across the street in front of my SUV today. Saw 2 rabbits and 5 quail in the yard also today.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:53 AM
bjh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Kitty View Post
They are so beautiful. As I took pics one man was getting things from his car and snarling at the crane and me for being excited about the bird. Pi$$ on the snarly man!
Nice picture! Maybe the crane could have flown over that guy and left a "deposit."

Old 03-06-2012, 10:49 AM

7,371 posts, read 6,829,829 times
I saw a couple of brown bunnies in my yard again this morning. I wonder if they are the same bunnies I am seeing almost everyday?? Again, same reaction from the little terriers next door. I guess they probably feel like me when I am walking past a bakery... They are a nice sign of spring.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:49 AM
bjh

I saw a squirrel travel from tree to tree by walking tight rope on an electric wire. Shocking!

Not! He was okay.

Old 03-08-2012, 03:11 AM
bjh

Saw the corner of stair steps absolutely banked several inches deep with old pine needles and cones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature