Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2011, 07:48 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,191,122 times

Advertisements

I have been observing nothing but rain through my window the last few days,BUT- this last weekend, I was driving home from a friends in North Dakota, and passed by a small stagnant lake surrounded by pine trees. I glanced over and thought "geez, that's pretty but really wouldn't want to swim in there". A lot of the lakes up here get this really nasty green film over them when it gets hot. Mostly swamp land. Anyway. As I was just about passed it, I happened to see movement in the corner...there was a small deer trying to reach some sort of plant maybe two feet into the muck. I had to turn around and go see. Made me laugh, it looked like it was trying to keep it's feet from getting dirty, but still get that yummy treat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 10:22 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
I was in the back yard with my 4 year old daughter. She noticed 3 small birds on the telephone line. A larger bird landed on the line and looked at the 3 smaller birds. The larger bird then flew off the line, grabbed one of the smaller birds and flew down to the neighbors yard, enjoying a little uncooked bird.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:18 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times
Guess the little squirrel has not quite learned who to avoid~I saw a dog catch and kill one....(but YOUR dog would not do it)

**I would LOVE to be a great blue** for a few days.....

but I don't really like fish that much

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
Well, the baby squirrels are out in force now. They have no fear at all. I was outside with my dog and one came bounding across the yard right up to us. Good thing I had the dog on a leash, although I think he really would have just wanted to play. The little guy came all the way across just to check us out.

We've been seeing Great Blue Herons (I am assuming they are not the OP, lol) in the (very) small pond out behind the house. Beautiful.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:22 PM

What a nice post.....glad you turned around. Poor little guy, really good things are sometimes very hard to get

gbh

Quote:
Originally Posted by light_shimmer View Post
I have been observing nothing but rain through my window the last few days,BUT- this last weekend, I was driving home from a friends in North Dakota, and passed by a small stagnant lake surrounded by pine trees. I glanced over and thought "geez, that's pretty but really wouldn't want to swim in there". A lot of the lakes up here get this really nasty green film over them when it gets hot. Mostly swamp land. Anyway. As I was just about passed it, I happened to see movement in the corner...there was a small deer trying to reach some sort of plant maybe two feet into the muck. I had to turn around and go see. Made me laugh, it looked like it was trying to keep it's feet from getting dirty, but still get that yummy treat.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:24 PM

You two saw a great example of the nature food chain (even if it is a bit unpleasant).... a hungry hawk maybe??

Anyway, great spot by your little one....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I was in the back yard with my 4 year old daughter. She noticed 3 small birds on the telephone line. A larger bird landed on the line and looked at the 3 smaller birds. The larger bird then flew off the line, grabbed one of the smaller birds and flew down to the neighbors yard, enjoying a little uncooked bird.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:31 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,261,770 times
Saw another gator on my walk this a.m....a little guy, maybe 4 feet long at the most. However, he was a little further in my comfort zone that I wanted him to be, so I did a quick round-about way. I usually keep a pretty close eye on the lakeshore, but there he was, all of a sudden, in all his glory.

I did have a more pleasant encounter a little earlier. I walked up to the lake (we'd call these things ponds back north!) and, out of nowhere, a cormorand's head came right up out of the water and looked at me! He must have been doing some underwater hunting. I also came across 3 ibises. Nice morning for nature.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:00 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,569,713 times
I take my mid day walk at the local Audubon Sanctuary. One day I was lucky enough to have my camera handy when a grouse mama faked an injury to lure me, the predator, away from her nest.

I've seen robins do this, but I felt very lucky to catch this, even though the vid isn't that great. (click on picture to play video)

Old 06-22-2011, 09:08 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,569,713 times
snake in fire pit at a lean to up in some mountains and the view at that point (these were taken with my sister's phone, so the quality is not great)

Last edited by catsmom21; 07-20-2011 at 12:28 PM..

Old 06-22-2011, 10:17 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
Squirrel, looking for some nuts, wife said he found one, he's looking right at you...

Old 06-23-2011, 01:56 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,825,817 times
Run through the jungle...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature