Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2012, 04:56 AM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times

Advertisements

On an evening walk I saw what looked at first like a bug hovering at about shoulder height. Then I realized it was a feather twirling in the air for a moment before it fell to the ground. A few yards later several feathers were on the ground in a place that usually is free of debris. Not sure what happened. A fight for territory maybe? Or Cat:1 Bird: 0 ? Whatever it was, it must have just happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 08:22 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Not sure what happened. A fight for territory maybe? Or Cat:1 Bird: 0 ? Whatever it was, it must have just happened.
Birds' lives are not as idyllic as one would think as we watch them soar. I am amazed how often I see them bickering and tussling with one another, within species and out. When I saw a -- I think, perigrin attempt to pluck a robin off a branch at the park awhile back, I was sadly reminded of their dangers. It's a bird eat bird world out there!

Old 07-30-2012, 08:26 AM

24,767 posts, read 28,507,453 times
O' honey it was just me and several of the boys at the road kill last night..

Old 07-30-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Tin Man View Post
This was one of the most distinctive photo captures of the social dynamics between birds that I have ever seen (even without your very witty interpretation). You do great work with that camera, TN Tin Man.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:59 AM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Birds' lives are not as idyllic as one would think as we watch them soar. I am amazed how often I see them bickering and tussling with one another, within species and out. When I saw a -- I think, perigrin attempt to pluck a robin off a branch at the park awhile back, I was sadly reminded of their dangers. It's a bird eat bird world out there!
Yep, life is tough all over. I could have used a tough bird to swoop in and catch the cricket that got in the pool when we swam the other night. Do you know how it feels to be in water and see something just half a notch above a cockroach swimming nearby and in your direction?!

PS - I think he was doing the backstroke.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Do you know how it feels to be in water and see something just half a notch above a cockroach swimming nearby and in your direction?!

PS - I think he was doing the backstroke.
I sure do! My ex- and I were cleaning out the river bed in front of our house (Middleville, MI), and I felt something bump up against the backs of my (bare) legs. I turned to see it was a dead muskrat!

I ran out of that river, up the hill into the house, and into the shower, clothes and all! I couldn't scrub enough!

(I was 20, probably a bit prone to over-reaction.)

Old 07-31-2012, 07:21 AM

24,767 posts, read 28,507,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I sure do! My ex- and I were cleaning out the river bed in front of our house (Middleville, MI), and I felt something bump up against the backs of my (bare) legs. I turned to see it was a dead muskrat!

I ran out of that river, up the hill into the house, and into the shower, clothes and all! I couldn't scrub enough!

(I was 20, probably a bit prone to over-reaction.)

Captain and Tennille Muskrat Love - YouTube

Old 07-31-2012, 08:46 AM

44,348 posts, read 20,047,057 times
Rain! Rain! We had a good drenching from a thunderstorm early this morning. Yippee!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
Rain! Rain! We had a good drenching from a thunderstorm early this morning. Yippee! .
Yea!!!! My weather blessing worked!

(Oh, you mean it probably wasn't me.... )

Hoping everyone else gets their weather wishes, too.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:33 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,120,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Tin Man View Post
.....Great picture!!

FWIW...................In addition to cleaning up carrion or all kinds they also provide a "service" to "Search & Rescue" and/or Search & Recovery folks.

When someone gets lost, (a solo hiker in Glacier or Yellowstone or one of our Wilderness areas), and they haven't been found in a week or two,.............the searchers then begin to look to the skies for "circling buzzards". Many times "they" can lead the searchers to the individual or his body. They have a unique "sense" of knowing when a person or animal is either dead or close to death. What they can do to a "body" after a few days of satisfying their "mission-in-life"....................is not pretty.

Considering the current "situation" along our southern boarder with Mexico....................you can imagine the buzzard population "is doing quite well"...............enough said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature