Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2013, 08:03 AM

149 posts, read 341,942 times

Advertisements

Afew years ago my husband and I went exploreing in the Danial Boone Forest nearby our fanily home.We went into a place that was new to us and walked further than we had into the woods in awhile.There are no paths were we go sometimes so it may end up being alot thicker or more mountainous than expected.Usually you dont have to walk but maybe a mile or so realize that there is no evidence as to anyone being through there in quite a while.
Anyways I remember seeing some beautiful mushrooms.Some were huge and just stuck up like out of nowhere,they didnt even look real.The large ones were all a cream like color some with round pancake like tops,and other beige ones with a long helmet like top.
And then I saw something very bright colored on the totally green forest floor.I could hardly wait to get closer and on this day I ended up seeing bright red with polkadots!a almost glowing lime green mushrooms,these were much smaller in size than the others,but sooo beautiful!As we walked along a cliff line we noticed a few old R.C.cola cans that looked like the ones from the 70's really faded and heavier in weight.
In other hikes we have seen old metal rings from what we decided only could have been old whiskey steels.
There are also old trails that the goverment cut through years ago,that are very interesting as well.I
Its very spiritual like sometimes when you are in there really far,because everything is so undisturbed.Everything is greener and larger.Massive virgin timber that make you feel so small standing beside or looking up.Huge wild ferns and the moss on fallen trees is so thick that you can hardly resist rolling up some and I mean it rolls up just like carpet and takeing some home,which I have a few times.
Inside the moss is filled with a life of its own.Little tiny like pine cones and small twigs sometimes little ants or bugs[which I shake out in their little area]
Once we were on a old logging trail road that went deep into the forest,this day we almost got lost!and a strange feeling came over me unlike any other time.It was a uneasy feeling as if we were being watched or maybe we were somewhere we shouldnt be.My husband is a faster walker than me he is much taller and longer leged.So Im usually trailing behind just a bit.Anyways This old path was within 10-15 ft.of a beautiful creek.Also Im going to add that this was close to the middle of Dec.which normally everything is died back for the winter.Not this place it was as green as a jungle.I couldnt shake this really negitive feeling so I just stopped of course my husband was only maybe 20 ft.in front of me within plain view.When I stopped I started slowly looking around me.
There to my right just beside the path was a moss covered rock mound.As I stepped closer I noticed the rocks appeared to have been carefully placed.
Not only were they carefully placed but the smaller rocks were ontop of a much larger one.It was maybe 3ft.in height and 4-5 foot long.Almost looked a alter or something.As I was waiting for my husband to come back and look,I noticed another right up above the first one,then my eyes quickly started scaning the area and good Lord they were everywhere! Both sides of the path.All made the same way,blending into the forest scape covered in moss.
Well too shorten this story,we felt this was a burial ground of some sort for sure.So we quickly moved on.This was when we really started to feel lost.We tried a few attemps to find our way out and failed,We couldnt belive it!Im by far the greatest at remembering my way out of the woods but my husband always knows his directions.Being Dec.it was starting to get cold and night was approaching quickly now.We had told no one this day what our plans were or where we were going.We had only taken snacks and they were gone.We did have access to fire and water.One more last attempt before dark to find our way out,and at last we finally made it.
The whole expirence that day was one we will never forget.We have since tried to find the same old path and area several times and never laid eyes on this place again.My husband says the terrain is very trickey and unusual there and doesnt really make sense.
Someday we will attempt to look again under better conditions.Maybe its not ment for us or anyone to ever find this place.I would only like to return once more to take some photos.Maybe we will try this summer if were up to it and everything about even trying feels right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 10:56 AM

31,374 posts, read 20,000,474 times
Nice story, Gretta.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:34 AM
bjh

59,731 posts, read 30,168,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Kitty View Post
That's a neat way to feed! Just swim along at the surface with mouth open! Very interesting, bjh! Thanks for posting!
Isn't that a cool fish? I realize these are wild animals and they need their space and freedom from humans. But it looks like it would be great fun to swim along with them for a while. It's a fish tale no one would believe without video.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:16 PM
bjh

Aurora borealis affected by solar storm while a comet goes by

Northern lights dance with a comet - PhotoBlog

Old 03-24-2013, 01:11 PM

6,441 posts, read 5,228,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Aurora borealis affected by solar storm while a comet goes by

Northern lights dance with a comet - PhotoBlog
Wow! Beautiful and so unique capturing the comet.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:23 PM

41,715 posts, read 74,654,678 times
This morning I observed not one but two squirrels hanging off my bird feeder. I was hoping a blue jay would come by and terrorize them, but no such luck.

Old 03-24-2013, 05:45 PM

6,441 posts, read 5,228,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
This morning I observed not one but two squirrels hanging off my bird feeder. I was hoping a blue jay would come by and terrorize them, but no such luck.
We have a squirrel that entertains (or aggravates) the cats by hopping onto the roof from the oak tree in back and running across the roof to hop onto the palm tree in front. So cats are back and forth looking out the windows. I would like to put out bird feeders but I'm in an HOA community and feeding of birds or anything else outside is not allowed.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:08 PM
bjh

I've observed birds darting out of a nest in the porch at breakneck speed. Busy getting more bugs for their chicks or trying to trick the humans into thinking they have no nest there?

Old 03-26-2013, 11:15 AM

515 posts, read 774,346 times
I recently built several bluebird houses and have been watching the bluebirds check them out. This morning I was looking down in my garden and I can see 2 male bluebirds fluttering on the ground in beak to beak combat with a female sitting atop one of the houses. I watched through binoculars as they hammered each other in a hotly contested battle over the female which lasted for at least 15 minutes. Finally she swooped down in an effort to break them up and they did but continued their fight in mid air. This lasted for a few more minutes. I'm not sure if there was a decided winner but there has to be another female out there somewhere to keep these birds from killing each other. They both looked pretty roughed up. Ahhh, just another sign that Spring is on the horizon. Birds are pairing up everywhere.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:04 PM

585 posts, read 961,554 times
Lately I've been seeing some hummingbirds flitting about my apartment complex. you know it's Spring in Nevada when they're out. I think the ones I'm seeing are ruby throateds and caliopes but I'm not completely sure. They fly way too fast and too high to see up close. I know they're greenish on their back. Very pretty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature