Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2013, 02:11 PM
bjh

59,731 posts, read 30,168,527 times

Advertisements

Lots of birds out calling the past couple of days. The original Twitter!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 02:16 PM

126,110 posts, read 18,860,260 times
Two rabbits were visiting our back garden early this morning. Was cute to watch them. They finally got spooked by a above circling bussard.

Old 04-28-2013, 04:02 PM

23,306 posts, read 16,987,140 times
Watched a grackle kill a garter snake and try to fly away with it

Old 04-28-2013, 04:04 PM

126,110 posts, read 18,860,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post

I did not know they kill garter snakes thank you for sharing this nice pic

Old 04-28-2013, 06:10 PM

6,552 posts, read 4,698,282 times
Was watching some wrens out my front window this morning, hoping against hope that they were going in my hanging ferns to nest, but apparently not. Just picking dry stuff to make nests elsewhere, I guess.

Also out there hanging around, and checking out my ferns was Mr. Cardinal, in all his resplendent crimson breeding-season glory. What a beautiful, vibrant colored bird! At one point he was sitting right in the fern, I was in the window at the kitchen sink, we were about 3 feet apart. Lovely!

Old 04-28-2013, 06:12 PM

6,552 posts, read 4,698,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Great picture! I love Grackles!

Old 04-28-2013, 07:21 PM

Here is neat photo I took of a dove's nest with an egg some other bird dropped off. Looks like a robin's egg, which is strange. Nest was soon abandoned so maybe the robins which usually nested in that bush took offense to the dove nest. Looks like the typical rough hewn dove stick nest on top of a neater graas nest. Who knows.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:32 PM

Here is another unusual shot. Took this fox trotting along a fresh plowed field with a critter I watched the fox dig up. I took the photo and it wasn't until editing that I saw that there was dove just sitting there.

The view was open and the fox came from at least 300 yards away and still the dove stood it's ground as if it knew the fox already had a meal and the dove was not in danger. That is the kind of stupid confidence people often place in animals just before they get woofed.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:18 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,694,412 times
Another great shot, Kracer. It is unusual!

You are so right about people not understanding animals in the wild. Like the guy who just had to get closer to the alligator and then...
lost a hand...

quote=Kracer;29334434]Here is another unusual shot. Took this fox trotting along a fresh plowed field with a critter I watched the fox dig up. I took the photo and it wasn't until editing that I saw that there was dove just sitting there.

The view was open and the fox came from at least 300 yards away and still the dove stood it's ground as if it knew the fox already had a meal and the dove was not in danger. That is the kind of stupid confidence people often place in animals just before they get woofed.

[/quote]

Old 04-29-2013, 01:38 PM

149 posts, read 341,942 times
The Spring rain had set in again here in Tennessee and as I looked out of my kitchen windows something caught my eye in the huge double Pecan tree that has some limbs around 14 ft. up that are so close to the back of my house that I can see Birds very close up.
I have lived here 20 years and altho we have had some Dove mates show up quite frequently I had never saw this before.
I was looking at their backs,two adult Doves with a small one in between them.I could tell they were protecting the little one from the soaking rain.The adults were very close to the youngster and seemed to be extending their inner wings out somewhat over him/her.I watched them for quite awhile and was touched by their love and protection.
I know they must have had a nice view from up there through the rain looking down over things.
I know the stress I was under that day seemed to disappear for the moment while watching this little Dove family.
My concerns were worry for our only liveing child.Its almost like there was a little answer there for me as well.Just keep my son close at this time and do all we can to protect him for sometimes no matter how old they are they still need the two that loves them most to hold them up and help them through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature