Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2013, 11:46 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,547,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Seattle fireworks floating launch pad moved to accommodate baby eagles.

Seattle fireworks too scary for baby bald eagles - PhotoBlog
Yeah, they are a funny group. Not real keen on harbor seals (because they fish the salmon), but very protective of their eagles -- thank goodness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2013, 11:56 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,944,732 times
Yesterday I watched a squirrel licking the outside of a huge clay flowerpot. He circled the entire pot, licking the sides. Fertilizer salts, maybe? It was strange. The pots looked dry, so doubt it was trying to get water.

Old 06-29-2013, 01:23 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,625,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitchisback View Post
This is a very common caterpillar we get here. This frangipani (plumeria) tree was pretty infested with them. I was scared to take this pic as these caterpillars are so huge and scare me a bit.
Are they the same as in the pic below? If so, they are Pseudosphinx tetrio caterpillars, from the Tetrio Sphinx Moth. They'll defoliate the tree.

Last edited by NJmmadude; 06-29-2013 at 01:34 PM..

Old 06-29-2013, 02:39 PM

347 posts, read 695,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmmadude View Post
Are they the same as in the pic below? If so, they are Pseudosphinx tetrio caterpillars, from the Tetrio Sphinx Moth. They'll defoliate the tree.
Yep. that's them. They are a pest but noone really takes any measures against them as frangipani is such a common tree here (a bit too common...I'm not really partial to it lol) that is just used for ornamental purposes. I have also seen them on oleander. But mostly frangipani.

Old 06-29-2013, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitchisback View Post
Yep. that's them. They are a pest but noone really takes any measures against them as frangipani is such a common tree here (a bit too common...I'm not really partial to it lol) that is just used for ornamental purposes. I have also seen them on oleander. But mostly frangipani.
When I looked it up, I learned that the frangipani is a relative to the oleander. I also found this photo.

Eeeeuuuuuu!

Old 06-29-2013, 06:24 PM

7,065 posts, read 4,818,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
When I looked it up, I learned that the frangipani is a relative to the oleander. I also found this photo.

Eeeeuuuuuu!
Oh ewwww!

Old 06-29-2013, 06:26 PM

7,065 posts, read 4,818,181 times
So, anyway.

My Nature Observation of the day was a huge cicada that somehow got into my screened in porch. The dog was pawing at it as it climbed the screen. It stayed inside until this afternoon when somehow it came loose from it's perch up near the ceiling and my son guided it outside, where it promptly flew away.

I've never seen one fly before, I usually only see the empty shells.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:10 PM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,382,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Yesterday I watched a squirrel licking the outside of a huge clay flowerpot. He circled the entire pot, licking the sides. Fertilizer salts, maybe? It was strange. The pots looked dry, so doubt it was trying to get water.
Funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
So, anyway.

My Nature Observation of the day was a huge cicada that somehow got into my screened in porch. The dog was pawing at it as it climbed the screen. It stayed inside until this afternoon when somehow it came loose from it's perch up near the ceiling and my son guided it outside, where it promptly flew away.

I've never seen one fly before, I usually only see the empty shells.
They're not the most skillful flyers imo.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:37 PM

99 posts, read 107,783 times
Well a lot of replys on here i live in indiana,and feed lots of birds,piliated down to the little downys ,cardinals,titmice,wrens bluebirds,jays buntings pheebes,ect threw a dead rabbit on a brush pile aweek ago two bobcats fought over it that nite,what a hidious sound they make,also moved a alligator snaping turtle off or country road two weeks ago,lots of deer ,coon, cayote,possum skunk red tail hawk,turkeyvulture activity also

Old 06-30-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Oh ewwww!
I love that you can speak my language!

Quote:
My Nature Observation of the day was a huge cicada that somehow got into my screened in porch. ...
I don't think I have ever seen one. I read somewhere that they only come around every so many years. Is that true?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterling53 View Post
Well a lot of replys on here i live in indiana,and feed lots of birds,piliated down to the little downys ,cardinals,titmice,wrens bluebirds,jays buntings pheebes,ect threw a dead rabbit on a brush pile aweek ago two bobcats fought over it that nite,what a hidious sound they make,also moved a alligator snaping turtle off or country road two weeks ago,lots of deer ,coon, cayote,possum skunk red tail hawk,turkeyvulture activity also
Mom used to cook up the snappers that the guys would catch down on the river bank when I was a kid in MI. Tastes like chicken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature