Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2014, 06:52 AM

126,269 posts, read 19,041,682 times

Advertisements

I spend a few days in the mountains and it was absolute beautiful. We hiked at dawn equipped with backpacks,empty tins attached to our backpack that made noise while walking,hiking sticks and up we walked a mountain in BC/Canada. Trails where winding first through some marshland where we saw moose and many wild birds. Further up in the forest we passed beautiful lookouts, mountains reaching across still partially hiding in the morning mist. The air was cool and fresh and we noticed black bear poop and cougar prints. I constantly looked around while we were climbing higher and higher,must admit I was a bit nervous. We made camp and I sat by a little creek when I saw 2 deer crossing near our camp. To see Ravens flying was magical for me and while watching them my heart was filled with emotions. There is nothing like it to spend time in the mountains,sun rays waking you up and shining on your face,drinking fresh water from the running creek and smell the pine and the fresh crisp air. Once reaching the top we saw from left to right nothing but open wide space,mountain ranges,eagles circling way up high in the blue sky and most of all it was peaceful. I felt so close to mother nature and she reminded me once again how fortunate I am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 06:25 PM

30,512 posts, read 16,213,477 times
sounds awesome, Alms. Don't forget to record that in your journal. Ya know-the one you write something good or appreciated in daily. That journal.

Noticed there's not a lot of butterflies this summer. Maybe because of the cold winter? Hope they come back next year.

Old 08-07-2014, 08:15 PM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,382,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almrausch View Post
I spend a few days in the mountains and it was absolute beautiful. We hiked at dawn equipped with backpacks,empty tins attached to our backpack that made noise while walking,hiking sticks and up we walked a mountain in BC/Canada. Trails where winding first through some marshland where we saw moose and many wild birds. Further up in the forest we passed beautiful lookouts, mountains reaching across still partially hiding in the morning mist. The air was cool and fresh and we noticed black bear poop and cougar prints. I constantly looked around while we were climbing higher and higher,must admit I was a bit nervous. We made camp and I sat by a little creek when I saw 2 deer crossing near our camp. To see Ravens flying was magical for me and while watching them my heart was filled with emotions. There is nothing like it to spend time in the mountains,sun rays waking you up and shining on your face,drinking fresh water from the running creek and smell the pine and the fresh crisp air. Once reaching the top we saw from left to right nothing but open wide space,mountain ranges,eagles circling way up high in the blue sky and most of all it was peaceful. I felt so close to mother nature and she reminded me once again how fortunate I am.
Sounds ideal!

Glad to see you're back and were gone for a happy reason.

Old 08-08-2014, 12:29 AM

1,668 posts, read 1,486,659 times
As we approached our driveway yesterday evening we saw something move. We slowly turned in and stopped to watch a little red fox walk the length of the drive than head into the woods.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:02 AM

7,049 posts, read 4,818,181 times
Watched Mr. & Mrs. Cardinal take a bath in my front flowerbed birdbath this morning. So pretty.

Old 08-08-2014, 11:38 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times
Yesterday, sitting on my deck, I saw the first honeybee of the summer on my hanging millionbells. Looking more closely I noticed that it must have been stopping at many different colored flowers as the pollen baskets on its hind legs looked exactly like two tiny pieces of corn candy - a row of orange, white and yellow!

I've been watching for the poor monarchs and haven't yet seen one but yesterday a yellow monarch visited. At first I thought it was a swallowtail. But, no, it was a true yellow monarch. I didn't know they existed.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:14 PM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,382,128 times
I saw lots of bugs today. Grasshoppers, large and small, large one almost jumped on me. Also saw a big dragonfly on the window frame. A large beetle clinging to our porch rail. And butterflies on the wall flicking their wings open and shut. A very buggy day, but in a good way.

Old 08-09-2014, 08:55 AM

126,269 posts, read 19,041,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
I saw lots of bugs today. Grasshoppers, large and small, large one almost jumped on me. Also saw a big dragonfly on the window frame. A large beetle clinging to our porch rail. And butterflies on the wall flicking their wings open and shut. A very buggy day, but in a good way.
I was cleaning and putting fresh water in my bird bathes when a Monarch butterfly landed on my head..I felt that sudden gentle breeze around me ...sigh....

Old 08-15-2014, 08:54 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,976,739 times
This morning there were three deer watching me from behind the ferns in the yard. By the time I got my camera, they were gone, wish I'd gotten their pictures. I see them a couple times a month in the yard. They are so beautiful.

Old 08-19-2014, 07:15 PM

515 posts, read 778,170 times
My purple martins left the 3rd week in July and the tree swallows a week before that. I rarely see a mosquito in my back yard while they're here and lately I've noticed a surge in mosquitoes since we've been getting more rain. Monday afternoon I noticed birds sitting on the power line out back and many more soaring up and down the railroad ditch line. I counted a dozen purple martins among the tree swallows and barn swallows. There must have been 50 or 60 birds in all. Needless to say it was a welcomed sight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature