Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2015, 09:19 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,625,652 times

Advertisements

Another brief outing with binoculars yesterday. Major winter storm approaching. Bird behavior seeemed unusual. Chickadees largely silent. Sparrows doing more scratching in snow. Flicker feeding on squirrel drey. 3 red-tailed hawks soaring, lots of vocalizations and hovering but very little diving. Many juncos flittering in and out of trees in synch. No hairy or red-bellied woodpeckers present (usually common). Excess feeding behavior before storm, just a coincidence, or is this behavior just not abnormal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 06:16 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
I have been seeing a type of bird , I've never seen before. They look like a magpie, but are all shiny black. No markings. They have the long tail. , like a magpie, same shaped head and wing profile. I thought the first one I saw was a crow, at first, but they are something else. I've lived here all my life, and never seen anything like them. That have a pretty song, and can mimic like I've never seen before. Far better than a mockingbird.

They will perch quite close. Not afraid of people. I had one hang around here for a couple weeks, and I would feed him/ her bread bits and such, and make noises to hear it mimic. It bugged out a few days ago, and hasn't been back. I have been unable to ID these critters. But, they are way cool, and I hope my buddy comes back.

Old 01-30-2015, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I have been seeing a type of bird , I've never seen before. They look like a magpie, but are all shiny black. No markings. They have the long tail. , like a magpie, same shaped head and wing profile. I thought the first one I saw was a crow, at first, but they are something else. I've lived here all my life, and never seen anything like them. That have a pretty song, and can mimic like I've never seen before. Far better than a mockingbird.

They will perch quite close. Not afraid of people. I had one hang around here for a couple weeks, and I would feed him/ her bread bits and such, and make noises to hear it mimic. It bugged out a few days ago, and hasn't been back. I have been unable to ID these critters. But, they are way cool, and I hope my buddy comes back.
Hi NVPlumber,

Try googling raven or grackle (especially great tailed). Couple these search terms with 'mimic', I think that these are possibilities but without a picture I couldn't take a good guess (although I am leaning toward the grackle).

Good luck!

Last edited by NJmmadude; 01-30-2015 at 03:50 PM..

Old 01-30-2015, 07:16 PM

2,201 posts, read 1,876,001 times
I was kayaking in the grass flats of the Gulf of Mexico in a two man kayak, but my two grandsons wanted to go fishing so I rigged a folding stadium seat and off we went. While in about 7 ft of water we noticed an very large mass moving under the kayak. At first glance I thought bull shark or right whale about a ton, but low and behold with our lines up s huge sow manatee surfaces. Suddenly she puts her head on the rim of the boat blowing air from her nostrils . We each took turns massaging her entire head for 10 minutes, then we really bonded as she flipped over obviously wanting her belly and flippers rubbed sort of like a dog or cat! Another ten minutes we were buds for life. My grandboys now 6'2" 200 lbs always remind me of that literally out of body event, that was the highlight of quality time with the kids. It even made up for one lost Mitchel 300 and Ugly Stick after the boys fought over the added chair and as I maneuvered to a new location it got knocked over! Then the older boy practiced tying knots on my new 5 lbs anchor, but as he threw the anchor it the rope became undone and BYE THEN!

Old 01-30-2015, 10:17 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmmadude View Post
Hi NVPlumber,

Try googling raven or grackle (especially great tailed). Couple these search terms with 'mimic', I think that these are possibilities but without a picture I couldn't take a good guess (although I am leaning toward the grackle).

Good luck!
Definitely not Ravens. We have lots of those. I'll look up Grackle and get back to you.

And I'm back. Yep! That's the critter. A great tailed grackle. Though, the write up didn't mention the mimicking, and it said their song is "raucous and ear splitting", and the ones I've come across have a quite pretty (I think) song. It did mention that they are generally unafraid of people, to the point of being social, which is certainly true.

Last edited by NVplumber; 01-30-2015 at 10:26 PM..

Old 01-31-2015, 01:51 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,112,822 times
a stick spider, on my back gate......

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q...ickspider7.jpg

Old 02-02-2015, 06:31 AM

While driving on Saturday, saw a bald eagle perched on a tree next to a river.

Another bird outing on Sunday. Saw a pair of pileated woodpeckers, a male and a female. Watched them take apart tree bark like it was nothing. Awesome birds.

Flickers, hairy, downy, and red-bellied woodpeckers, robins, cardinals, blue jay, titmice, chickadees, nuthatch, song sparrow, some juncos present. Within the flocks were about a dozen bluebirds, very cool. Titmice very vocal now. One territorial woodpecker drumming heard (species not identified). One red tailed hawk.

In field, we found lots of tracks: squirrel, rabbit, bird, lots of coyote. Also found fox tracks along with two locations where it appears that fox dove into the snow after prey.

Saw accipiter flying over field later that evening while driving. Most likely sharp-shinned but may have been small cooper's.

Last edited by NJmmadude; 02-02-2015 at 07:09 AM..

Old 02-04-2015, 09:45 PM

7,072 posts, read 4,820,754 times
Tuesday a.m., around 3:20, heard an unusual sound. Nudged hubby, "what IS tha?t" I said. He listened a little, grunted, and went back to sleep.

Sounded like a screech owl. Very close! I went out to the back porch, and it seemed like he was in the big magnolia right behind the house.

He screeched another time once I went on the porch, and was gone.

Old 02-06-2015, 06:58 PM

515 posts, read 778,272 times
I have a ditch behind my vegetable garden that runs along a railroad track and it usually has 8 or 10 inches of standing water in a pool about 10 feet long. With the colder temps we've been having, I can see air bubbles trapped beneath the ice and also grass clippings. That's the sure tale sign of a muskrat. How those little varmints can swim in icy water and burrow underground without freezing to death is nothing short of amazing. Hopefully he'll leave before spring and I won't have to share my veggies with him.

Old 02-08-2015, 02:41 PM

Another bird outing today. Many of the same birds as the past few weeks, Canada geese, white-throats, titmouse, nuthatch (white breasted), robins, red-bellied/hairy/downy woodpeckers, flickers, robins, cardinals, juncos.

Heard one song sparrow singing, and, like last week, lots of titmouse vocalizations. We did also see one brown creeper, and a pine warbler, which was neat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature