Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2015, 09:24 AM

3,950 posts, read 4,188,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
I took a double take when I saw one male mallard along with other males that had a white chest.
It was a mutant mallard.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/entequil...3/DSC01144.jpg
Let's call him a Tuxedo Mallard!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2015, 09:55 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,801,873 times
Greenhouse update: major progress has been made since my last post: the rickety old tables/ benches are gone, along with one upper shelf, which proved to be putting way too much stress on the roof vent, whose cedar supports (the greenhouse frame was discovered to be cedar, hurray!) were rotting and are scheduled for splicing in early January. As of yesterday, there is a light switch, rather than hanging strings from two bare bulbs, along with an electrical outlet, so a good space heater (oil radiator type) can be moved in next and put to use tomorrow, when snow flakes may fly.

The old greenhouse is now home to a variety of small and medium-sized plants, ranging from a tropical mix to a small holly, which is filled with tiny white blooms and (so far) green berries. It also contains a variety of shelves, planters, and stands to take the place of the old wooden planting tables, allowing for much more flexible use. A shabby old unpainted wicker rocker adds a nice rustic touch and is a comfortable place to rest and enjoy the greenery. Windex made a big difference to the grubby glass panes, so more light is entering. The damaged hinges were replaced on the swing window, and a sturdy latch installed.

But all the hanging baskets now are congested on the one structurally sound side, as the side which usually accommodates the bulk of them cannot be used except for the two smallest, lightest weight ones. So the next step will be to replace the rotten wood here and there, after which work will cease until spring, when the panes can be recaulked and puttied and interior painting can occur, once the plants are outside for their late-spring/summer vacation.

Meanwhile, I will include greenhouses and conservatories on my winter vacation must-see list, for more inspiration!

Old 12-19-2015, 07:50 PM

Saw one of our groundhogs today. It has been unusually warm for quite a while, and we don't normally see groundhogs around Christmas! Its fur was a lovely ginger-red color. It was madly eating all the grass and birdseed on the ground that it could. The darn grass is still growing in this crazy weather!

Old 12-20-2015, 09:47 AM

Spotted a tiny squirrel eating bird seed on the ground around my feeders this morning. This little guy is definitely a baby. I know squirrels have a second litter of babies in the fall, but usually that is in September or so. This little guy looks like he was born late. He is totally adorable.

Old 12-20-2015, 10:47 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,772,776 times
Saw a coyote on the beach running with the seagulls. He wasn't chasing them or trying to catch them, it was like he was a member of the flock. There were several cars on the beach and the gulls would visit each one and so did the coyote. When the gulls flew out to the surf, the coyote stayed up on the beach and posed for pictures.

Old 12-20-2015, 11:39 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,338,353 times
I recently took my grandkids out into the forest behind where I live. They were tired of being cooped up in the house and we decided to get out regardless of the lousy weather. We went through the brush looking for creatures. It was about 45 f but we still found a lot of creatures active and even a couple of salamanders were not asleep yet. Frogs were out too. The kids had a good time for about 90 minutes and even though they were shivering when we got back they had a great time. My daughters were pissed but what the hell, kids need to get out and they didn't catch a cold from it.

Old 12-20-2015, 12:17 PM

31,374 posts, read 20,000,474 times
I live on a lake that has not yet frozen over completely. There's just a few feet of ice extending out from shore.

I've been watching a muskrat for the past couple of hours. He swims under the ice and a minute or two later comes up with a mouthful of weeds/plant material. He then hops out on the ice and munches his find. A couple of minutes later, the process is repeated. Cute little guy.

Old 12-20-2015, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I live on a lake that has not yet frozen over completely. There's just a few feet of ice extending out from shore.

I've been watching a muskrat for the past couple of hours. He swims under the ice and a minute or two later comes up with a mouthful of weeds/plant material. He then hops out on the ice and munches his find. A couple of minutes later, the process is repeated. Cute little guy.
I don't know a darn thing about muskrats. He's just eating and not rebuilding an underwater home, right? (Guess I am wondering if they are anything like beavers in that regard.)

Old 12-21-2015, 05:11 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,916,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I meant to mention an odd habit that the long-tailed grackles have. I can't find an explanation for it on the web so maybe one of our bird watchers has the answer.

Sometimes they gather near the top of a tree and roost, all gazing skyward, bills pointed straight up into the air. I think, They must be waiting for the Mothership to beam them up!

Always gives me a chuckle but its purpose is a mystery.
That's funny! Are they silent or noisy?

Old 12-21-2015, 09:21 AM

11,907 posts, read 8,227,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
That's funny! Are they silent or noisy?
When they are "striking the pose" they are all totally silent.

What IS that? I wish someone could tell me.

Way to go, Scrat335! Good for you. Kids need to get out and tramp through the woods, puddles, mud and have a look-see. You are giving them a gift that will stay with them for a lifetime.

The daughters being angry thing sounds pretty normal. I remember feeling that way sometimes with my own parents for "taking liberties" with my rules and children. Looking back now I realize that's part of what made Grandpa and Grandma so special.

I love reading everyone's nature observations here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature