Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2017, 12:00 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
We don't get pigeons here for some reason, but we do have lots of mourning doves, their close cousin. My husband and I have observed how often the doves are taken out by hawks. They are exactly what a raptor is looking for: a large, fat, dumb, slow bird. I do love all the birds, but doves aren't exactly the Einsteins of the Forest. A bluejay squawks, all the other birds take off, and the doves are still on the ground, pecking. One of them will look up and say, "What?". Like I said, a raptor's dream.

Oh yes. grocery shopping for my pair of falcons is quite convenient. Back in the 80s, Peregrines were actually introduced to NYC. They adapted readily to the target rich urban environment, with its high rises providing high altitude nesting and profusion of , as you say, fat dumb prey. They are a fantastic means of controlling the pigeons, which are a pest no matter how you slice it, and being as Perigrines are endangered, allowing them to adapt to humanities urban sprawl has allowed a bit of a comeback for these beautiful birds.

Oh, there were some "animal rights" nuts that kicked up a fuss about it. Oh the poor pigeons. Lol, hey, this is nature at work folks. I think it's just fantastic. We also have a lot of other raptors around here. Even in the more urbanized area I currently reside in. Lots of various hawks, owls, kestrels, merlins, even eagles. Both bald and golden. They do force people to be mindful about letting their small breed dogs and cats outside. A guy I know lost his wifes chiuaua to a Great Horned owl just recently. Right in his front yard. The coyotes also have a taste for such domestic critters, but, that's life around here.

Maybe it sounds cruel, but I tend to chuckle when no nothing people whine about having lost their precious fi fi to a raptor or yote on grocery patrol. Like the lady in my complex here who actually called animal control because of the falcons nailing the pigeons. I just don't get the horror that some folks feel over such things. It's just critters doing what comes natural. Food is food. They don't call these animals predators for nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2017, 01:24 PM

248 posts, read 194,379 times
a little funny about the Wild Turkeys-I saw them first on a hillside in Cade's Cove in the Smoky's and I thought they were a herd of black Angus. since that time I have become an avid birder and learned many things.

do hope someone got a chuckle from this post.

Old 02-24-2017, 07:43 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,256,469 times
Turkeys... black Angus... sure, I can see that!

Old 02-25-2017, 05:57 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,575,697 times
Quote:
I would love to have a duck sit next to me.
They can be very sweet, but it can get messy pretty fast too!

Old 02-25-2017, 09:32 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,428,739 times
Apparently my lakeside lot has become the nesting spot for the local flock of black vultures. There must be at least 50 of them. They're so bold that they don't even all fly up into the trees when I drive up. I imagine a big draw is the poor dog that lives at the house next door, but has been staked out on a chain his entire life (that's another thread for sure ). The stupid owners put his kibble in a big bowl within reach and of course the vultures just walk up one at a time and steal the kibble. The dog is so used to them that he doesn't do a thing - no barking or lunging, nothing. I'm going to have to start filming the vultures whenever I go over there; I find their flock social structure and interaction really fascinating. Plus they're a whole lot prettier than the red-headed vultures! And, once in a while a bald eagle will land, so I'd like to get a pic of that too.

Old 02-25-2017, 05:27 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,810,680 times
I've been seeing a fair amount of pileated woodpeckers in town lately.

And recently my daughter had a close encounter with a squirrel in St. Paul. At college, she was putting a bag of garbage in the trash and when she opened the lid on the dumpster a squirrel popped out and leaped onto her shoulder and away as it made its escape, all in an instant.

It hasn't happened again since that one time, but apparently every time she has to take out the garbage in an heart-racing adventure.

Old 02-25-2017, 05:32 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,992,098 times
We have at least 2 Pileated Woodpeckers that reside near us, very rarely see them but we hear them a lot. I posted a pic a number of pages ago from this summer when we finally got a glimpse of them.

Old 02-25-2017, 09:11 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,256,469 times
Are black vultures different from turkey vultures? We get plenty of turkey vultures around here, but I don't see them eating the dry cat food I put out for my ferals.

Old 02-26-2017, 08:14 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,428,739 times
Quote:
Are black vultures different from turkey vultures? We get plenty of turkey vultures around here, but I don't see them eating the dry cat food I put out for my ferals.
Black vultures are a bit smaller and are "sleeker" than turkey vultures. Turkey vultures tend to be more shy and gentle, whereas the black ones will literally get in your face. They are aggressive feeders as well, and will often gorge on a carcass first and leave the remains for the turkey vultures. That's also because their beaks are stronger than the turkey vultures' and can shred the animal hides, leaving the turkey vultures with the more tender remains. I've watched turkey vultures that were twice the size of black vultures back off from a carcass and just try and sneak in to catch scraps while the blacks weren't looking - it was kind of sad but funny too. They communicate in hisses, grunts, and clicks, which is incredibly interesting to listen to. They're fairly omnivorous too - I've never seen a black vulture not eat something that's in the least bit edible, which is why that poor dog loses his kibble all the time.

Old 02-26-2017, 01:20 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,625,436 times
Quote:
Hi Lori, to add a few things to Bungalove's description: black and turkey vultures are related but are different species. They are often grouped in with hawks in field guides but oddly are more closely related to storks. Both are primarily carrion eaters and have adapted beautifully to dealing with the toxins and bacteria/fungi that would kill most animals should they attempt to eat rotting meat. Black vultures are aggressive as Bungalove stated, and they sometimes become pests at campgrounds. Both nest in old or abandoned barns/buildings, caves, or hollow trees. Both have the dubious distinction of practicing urohydrosis-they basically pee on their legs to keep themselves cool, and turkey vultures will vomit stomach acid at animals (or curious photographers) that approach them while they are feeding. I'm not sure if black vultures do this as well (I haven't had the pleasure).

One neat distinction between them is that black vultures hunt primarily by sight and, without turkey vultures present, are more apt to follow other scavengers to carcasses and then run them off (hence their being aggressive). Therefore, since they forage by sight they tend to forage in open areas such as fields (harder to find dead stuff in the forest). Turkey vultures, on the other hand, have outstanding senses of smell and are particularly sensitive to compounds called mercaptans, which are responsible for the foul odor of rotting meat. Since they forage by smell, they are more of a habitat generalist (loosely speaking) and will locate carcasses in forests. The black vultures have learned to follow turkey vultures in areas where they coexist, and you will often see the black vultures flying above turkey vultures and following them to carrion. Because of the difference in foraging, black vultures fly higher than turkey vultures. Turkey vultures fly with their wings in a 'V' and will rock from side to side, black vultures have flatter wings. Look for silver ends of wings with black vultures and shorter tail. Don't use head color for diagnostic-turkey vulture juveniles have black heads.

Stealing of pet food and the like by vultures is less of a problem in NJ because we have so many road killed animals. It's also the reason why we have so many of the black ones here.

Last edited by NJmmadude; 02-26-2017 at 01:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature