Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2017, 10:01 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times

Advertisements

BTW...MORE squirrel comments.

In the county I live in, we have white squirrels

There are plenty gray ones as well but the white squirrels are so beautiful and an infrequent to my bird feeders. They are not albinos, as they have a black spot on top of the head...wish I had a pic.

Anyone know any more info??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2017, 02:50 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
...In the county I live in, we have white squirrels ...Anyone know any more info??
Brevard County White Squirrels

Old 09-11-2017, 03:16 PM

3,972 posts, read 4,252,063 times
White squirrels, cool! Here in NJ, we have black squirrels in the Princeton area. They don't live in my part of NJ, but I sure would love to see them here.

Old 09-11-2017, 03:23 PM

3,972 posts, read 4,252,063 times
I was putting on a pair of shoes yesterday. For some reason, as I brought the left shoe up from the floor, I thought I saw a little motion inside. I say "for some reason" because I don't normally stare into my shoes before putting them on, LOL. I looked in; the motion was from a tiny spider. The tiny spider had woven a tiny web inside my shoe (spanning from the inside top to the inside bottom) and was apparently patiently waiting for a gnat or other suitable prey to come along. By "tiny", I mean the entire spider was about the size of the head of a quilting pin. (Quilting pins look like this, in case you are not familiar with them: https://www.createforless.com/Quilti...c/pid8597.aspx)

I put the shoe back down. I figure I will leave that pair of shoes alone for a couple days and then check on the Itsy Bitsy Spider.

Old 09-11-2017, 03:32 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,280,259 times
Recent obvious nature observations -

The absolute power of Mother Nature with back-to-back major hurricanes (Harvey & Irma). One cannot help but be in awe of such power and how small and helpless we are. And the wild fires out west, one I know was started from a lightning strike, is sad to see. In both cases, striking how nature itself can destroy nature.

One a nicer note, my daily run in with chippie, our little chipmunk who likes to show him/herself when we are outside, sometimes just sitting there several feet away. And we don't even feed him/her.

Old 09-11-2017, 04:39 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,984,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post

The absolute power of Mother Nature with back-to-back major hurricanes (Harvey & Irma). One cannot help but be in awe of such power and how small and helpless we are. And the wild fires out west, one I know was started from a lightning strike, is sad to see. In both cases, striking how nature itself can destroy nature.

One a nicer note, my daily run in with chippie, our little chipmunk who likes to show him/herself when we are outside, sometimes just sitting there several feet away. And we don't even feed him/her.
Ah, but it does it for the purposes of rejuvenation.

Old 09-11-2017, 05:12 PM

7,234 posts, read 5,114,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Ah, but it does it for the purposes of rejuvenation.
Right. Giant redwoods, for instance, require the heat of a forest fire to dry out the green cones to allow the seeds to mature and then germinate.

Old 09-12-2017, 04:09 PM

OH so cute...thanks

[/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I've been seeing some of the squirrels that frequent my yard jumping around and flipping on the ground, somersaulting and in general acting crazy!

Did some google searches and found out the poor guys likely have a common parasite that makes them super itchy. Flies lay their eggs under their skin and while waiting to hatch they make the squirrels itch so they do all kinds of antics. Luckily it's relatively harmless for them and I guess only lasts a few weeks in mid/end of summer. You can find all kinds of videos on youtube - here's a great compilation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CCT1Crrd9Q

Old 09-12-2017, 04:12 PM

You are so right....I enjoy being in thunderstorms for that reason...but I have to be alone.

Enjoy chippie...near the top on enjoyment scale...

[/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post

Old 09-12-2017, 04:13 PM

Nice of you to let that spider have a few days...you are my kind of person

QUOTE=LoriNJ;49488426]I was putting on a pair of shoes yesterday. For some reason, as I brought the left shoe up from the floor, I thought I saw a little motion inside. I say "for some reason" because I don't normally stare into my shoes before putting them on, LOL. I looked in; the motion was from a tiny spider. The tiny spider had woven a tiny web inside my shoe (spanning from the inside top to the inside bottom) and was apparently patiently waiting for a gnat or other suitable prey to come along. By "tiny", I mean the entire spider was about the size of the head of a quilting pin. (Quilting pins look like this, in case you are not familiar with them: https://www.createforless.com/Quilti...c/pid8597.aspx)

I put the shoe back down. I figure I will leave that pair of shoes alone for a couple days and then check on the Itsy Bitsy Spider. [/quote]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature