Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2017, 04:27 AM

1,557 posts, read 1,157,490 times

Advertisements

For several years, we've had 2-3 bats sleeping in the louvers of our attic air vents all day long, after they worked hard all night catching bugs for chow. This early spring, we saw that they had set up a nursery in the attic on the warm chimney. We of course let them raise their young and now there are 6-7 sleeping in the louvers all day long.

We have enough bats in our attic (figuratively, lol. remember the expression "bats in the belfry?) so this experience prompted us to learn about and purchase some bat houses. We will put them up on the wall of house, close to where they were entering. We also of course blocked entry point to the attic. (they can still get into the louvers, but no further)

This is in southern CT. Don't know what type of bats they are, but we are happy to host them in this difficult world. So far, they have been very good guests, more than earning their keep. They are as cute as buttons, too. Very occasionally, we need to go into attic when they are sleeping and if they see us, they turn their heads to look, blinking at us sleepily. But as a rule of course we give them 100% privacy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2017, 11:31 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Bears attack domestic pets?

I have had one come to the screen door and sit down, looking inside...I guess for birdseed he finds around here, occasionally. I do love it when they eat the red ants!!!

...know about all the others, firsthand.

[/b]

Was talking more about yotes in eating domestic pets. Bears not so much, unless a dog harasses them or something and gets to brave...and to close. Yotes however consider cats and small dogs a delicacy.

Old 09-30-2017, 12:50 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times
You are now a true bat steward

Getting to see them while sleepy is a big plus...good for you.

FYI

Online I found eight species of bats in your area, including the Little Brown and Big Brown bat and the Long-eared bat.

[/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyMae521 View Post
For several years, we've had 2-3 bats sleeping in the louvers of our attic air vents all day long, after they worked hard all night catching bugs for chow. This early spring, we saw that they had set up a nursery in the attic on the warm chimney. We of course let them raise their young and now there are 6-7 sleeping in the louvers all day long.

We have enough bats in our attic (figuratively, lol. remember the expression "bats in the belfry?) so this experience prompted us to learn about and purchase some bat houses. We will put them up on the wall of house, close to where they were entering. We also of course blocked entry point to the attic. (they can still get into the louvers, but no further)

This is in southern CT. Don't know what type of bats they are, but we are happy to host them in this difficult world. So far, they have been very good guests, more than earning their keep. They are as cute as buttons, too. Very occasionally, we need to go into attic when they are sleeping and if they see us, they turn their heads to look, blinking at us sleepily. But as a rule of course we give them 100% privacy.

Old 09-30-2017, 06:15 PM

Thanks, gbh.
Yeah, pretty sure they are the little brown.

We hope they move into the houses, they supposedly are big enough for over 100 bats. We are going to put one on the south wall of our house, for the nursery and one on the north wall, for when it's hotter weather.

Old 09-30-2017, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Was talking more about yotes in eating domestic pets. Bears not so much, unless a dog harasses them or something and gets to brave...and to close. Yotes however consider cats and small dogs a delicacy.
What are yotes?

Are they coyotes?

Thanks.

Old 10-01-2017, 07:17 AM

3,974 posts, read 4,256,469 times
Little brown bats are slowly making a comeback around here. For several years, I saw no bats. Then last year, I saw a few every night. I haven't seen any this year, but I tend to see them most often in the fall at twilight. I love watching their crazy flight patterns.

Old 10-01-2017, 07:53 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,095,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
Little brown bats are slowly making a comeback around here. For several years, I saw no bats. Then last year, I saw a few every night. I haven't seen any this year, but I tend to see them most often in the fall at twilight. I love watching their crazy flight patterns.
Two years back I found a bat sleeping on the shaded side of one of my sheds. Of course me being me, I researched to find out what type it was. There are eight different species of bats on LI. The largest in body length is roughly 3 inches. This one was a good six inches. Never did find out what it was, or why this loner was in my backyard.

Old 10-01-2017, 12:04 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times
Be sure to let us know how that works out, LilyMae521.

Glad you care so much to do this...

[/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyMae521 View Post
Thanks, gbh.
Yeah, pretty sure they are the little brown.

We hope they move into the houses, they supposedly are big enough for over 100 bats. We are going to put one on the south wall of our house, for the nursery and one on the north wall, for when it's hotter weather.

Old 10-01-2017, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Be sure to let us know how that works out, LilyMae521.

Glad you care so much to do this...

[/b]
I will, thanks.

"Some people talk to animals, but few people listen. That's the problem" - A.A. Milne

Old 10-02-2017, 03:40 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,992,098 times
Found some turtles enjoying the nice day yesterday.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature