Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2018, 12:31 PM

4,187 posts, read 3,400,840 times

Advertisements

Cue Twilight Zone music....

After the first one was ruined by some creature, we now have a second little dollar store whirligig planted among some flowers. Yesterday I watched a squirrel climb down from a tree and approach the whirligig. 'He'd better not wreck it this time,' I thought.... but he put out a paw, started turning the thing--- and bolted, having scared himself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2018, 03:44 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
[quote=nonchalance;51716273]cue twilight zone music....

After the first one was ruined by some creature, we now have a second little dollar store whirligig planted among some flowers. Yesterday i watched a squirrel climb down from a tree and approach the whirligig. 'he'd better not wreck it this time,' i thought.... But he put out a paw, started turning the thing--- and bolted, having scared himself.[/quo

Old 04-25-2018, 04:26 PM

20,390 posts, read 14,661,936 times
That is hilarious about the squirrel and the whirligig.

And for what it's worth, lest anyone feel compelled to correct me, I am already corrected by someone in that it's not "Canadian" geese, it is "Canada" geese.

I told him, I had no idea, my education is in accounting, so while I might not know their proper name, I'm quite confident that there were exactly TWO of them.

Old 04-25-2018, 08:30 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
They are trying to tell you something. What it is, I couldn't tell you.

https://www.spirit-animals.com/goose/

This part made me laugh, because it sounds as if it's exactly what happened:

Alternatively the quest you are currently on is about to take an abrupt change of course. Know that this is only a temporary thing and that you will soon be back on your chosen path.

https://www.spirit-animals.com/squirrel-symbolism/

And

squirrel can also be signaling that we have to take a look at practical matters such as retirement, insurance, or even simple repairs. Are we adequately prepared?

Old 04-25-2018, 11:40 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,122,972 times
And for what it's worth, lest anyone feel compelled to correct me, I am already corrected by someone in that it's not "Canadian" geese, it is "Canada" geese.

[/quote]

Same applies to: MOOSE...........
Canada Moose. And. Alaska Moose

Several years ago, I was corrected by a Boarder Guard coming back into Montana..........

Old 04-26-2018, 05:19 AM

1,557 posts, read 1,157,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
Same applies to: MOOSE...........
Canada Moose. And. Alaska Moose

Several years ago, I was corrected by a Boarder Guard coming back into Montana..........

I did not know this, thanks MG. I learn something new everyday on CD. Keeps me young.

Did the boarder guard board with you?
Or did the border guard guard the border?

Old 04-26-2018, 05:39 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
Be careful with these wild animals coming out now that spring has hit here in the south . A lady at our church was saying that her grand daughter almost got bitten by a raccoon and the little girls mother said it was acting funny so she got the broom and chased it off and now she wont let her daughter out to play in the yard alone anymore . She also said the grand daughter had a granola bar out there and it might have just been hungry too but she was not taking any chances . I really don't know what has happened to wildlife in the last 40 yrs or so because I used to feed those babies that wondered up in the yard and never was scratched or bitten not once .

Old 04-26-2018, 05:56 AM

1,557 posts, read 1,157,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I really don't know what has happened to wildlife in the last 40 yrs or so because I used to feed those babies that wondered up in the yard and never was scratched or bitten not once .

If I had my druthers, I'd say a big part of the difference between 40 years ago and now is that humans have encroached into animal territory.

Just came back from visiting family down south, in a new housing development. They mentioned being frustrated that birds are eating all the grass seed they put down. I pointed out that they were actually in the birds' territory. This had never even occurred to them, but it really is true. Before the houses were built, the area was wide open fields.

Old 04-26-2018, 07:42 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyMae521 View Post
If I had my druthers, I'd say a big part of the difference between 40 years ago and now is that humans have encroached into animal territory.

Just came back from visiting family down south, in a new housing development. They mentioned being frustrated that birds are eating all the grass seed they put down. I pointed out that they were actually in the birds' territory. This had never even occurred to them, but it really is true. Before the houses were built, the area was wide open fields.
We have a problem in NJ where over the past 20 years or so, developments have been built in the wooded, hilly areas where the black bear lived. Now people are complaining because there are bear in their yards eating their birdseed and knocking over their garbage.

You moved into their home and took away their food sources because you wanted a big backyard. Where were they supposed to go?

Old 04-26-2018, 08:12 AM

20,390 posts, read 14,661,936 times
Yeah, it's just a given in Colorado Springs that you're going to encounter wildlife. But having moved around the country quite a bit, I've made a habit of trying to familiarize myself with the creatures that I'm sharing territory with, and understand what I can do best to avoid problems. I really love how this city has planned "open spaces" which are mostly wildlife parks of one kind or another with trails. They are all over, and several smack in the middle of otherwise developed areas. It's nice to be able to step off the sidewalk of my neighborhood straight onto a trail. But of course we have to keep the wildlife in mind...deer are numerous, but what I worry about more on the trails are the rattlesnakes.

I have mentioned before that I like the deer here so much better than the whitetail back east. But I'm encountering mostly city-limits deer, and they are not hunted, so they're not really afraid of people. This doesn't mean they will just attack or behave badly, but they are calm and majestic and chill. They just stroll along, like a calm horse almost, and they'll look at you, but they don't really react to your presence too much. They seem to see people as being just...irrelevant. I've watched them cruise right down a sidewalk, right past people that were sharing the sidewalk at the same time, like hey...excuse me, just passing through...

I might be moving to Phoenix in a couple of years, and I'm actually, for the first time, pretty terrified of the possibility of encountering a particular kind of creature. The Africanized bees. They're pretty scary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature