Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2018, 11:17 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty in black View Post
I never see any fireflies at night anymore. When I was a kid, we would catch them and put them in a jar and watch them light up and then let them go. LOL
I had not seen any either until last week...they were up in the trees, sparking away...

Guess it depends on location...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2018, 09:30 AM

16,082 posts, read 10,747,693 times
The backdoor drama of the day -- a pair of Roadrunners was attacking my Quail family... Very clever teamwork trying to corral the chicks to a place they can't escape. I had to go break it up but found an unidentifiable corpse of some furry animal in the process. Maybe the pesky desert rat that eats the wiring off my truck? Good riddance if it is. The Roadrunners usually eat lizards and snakes, which is OK, but I'm attached to the Quail families. The Quail chicks scattered and the parents are trying to call them back. Meanwhile, the Mourning Doves are starting up a chorus of their favorite song: "whooo-who-who-whooo". I have three Quail families that manage to keep the chicks separated. This is the first time that I've seen my Roadrunner pair go after the Quail chicks but I'm sure it happens often enough.

Old 06-29-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
The backdoor drama of the day -- a pair of Roadrunners was attacking my Quail family... Very clever teamwork trying to corral the chicks to a place they can't escape. I had to go break it up but found an unidentifiable corpse of some furry animal in the process. Maybe the pesky desert rat that eats the wiring off my truck? Good riddance if it is. The Roadrunners usually eat lizards and snakes, which is OK, but I'm attached to the Quail families. The Quail chicks scattered and the parents are trying to call them back. Meanwhile, the Mourning Doves are starting up a chorus of their favorite song: "whooo-who-who-whooo". I have three Quail families that manage to keep the chicks separated. This is the first time that I've seen my Roadrunner pair go after the Quail chicks but I'm sure it happens often enough.
Glad the quail families have you...the roadrunners must eat... but not little chicks, please!

Old 06-29-2018, 09:04 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,832,394 times
Just saw a coyote walking down the middle of the road.

He saw cats sitting in the driveway, but he didn't pay any attention.

He just kept trotting along.

He was obviously on some sort of mission.

Old 06-30-2018, 08:41 AM

4,187 posts, read 3,401,719 times
Butterfly day, and I'm not familiar with most of the varieties. Spotted those common white ones, a big, almost-black one with yellow-edged wings, and a teeny cloud-blue one. They seemed to be after daylilies, and flew eccentrically, especially when the wind was up.

Old 07-02-2018, 09:27 PM

105 posts, read 85,799 times
I saw what I thought was a moth flying around my flower garden. I did a double take when it put its head into a flower while hovering, and when the head came out, I saw it had a tiny beak. Although it was a colour I'd never seen before, I decided it must be a very young hummingbird.

Ironically, later that day a friend posted a picture of the same type of little creature, wondering if anyone could identify it. Several people told her it was a hummingbird moth. Looked it up, and sure enough hummingbird moths exist and don't appear to be considered a rarity.

How I made it this far in life without ever seeing one before is a mystery, but it was nice to see and learn something new.

Old 07-03-2018, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryMeriMarry View Post
I saw what I thought was a moth flying around my flower garden. I did a double take when it put its head into a flower while hovering, and when the head came out, I saw it had a tiny beak. Although it was a colour I'd never seen before, I decided it must be a very young hummingbird.

Ironically, later that day a friend posted a picture of the same type of little creature, wondering if anyone could identify it. Several people told her it was a hummingbird moth. Looked it up, and sure enough hummingbird moths exist and don't appear to be considered a rarity.

How I made it this far in life without ever seeing one before is a mystery, but it was nice to see and learn something new.
I remember seeing my first one too....so close to a hummingbird! Haven't seen that many through the years...

Old 07-03-2018, 05:57 PM

20,872 posts, read 9,536,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
Fireflies are becoming extinct.

They have fallen victim to climate change, land development, pesticides, and light pollution.

If you live in the western US, you will never see one.

It is unknown why they have never existed west of Kansas.
Still have plenty of fireflies here around KC.

I never saw one when I lived in Washington state. I think maybe they prefer humid climates?

Old 07-03-2018, 07:51 PM

4,187 posts, read 3,401,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Still have plenty of fireflies here around KC.

I never saw one when I lived in Washington state. I think maybe they prefer humid climates?

We have so many here we don't need streetlamps!

Old 07-03-2018, 11:28 PM

5,713 posts, read 4,289,046 times
I was at work yesterday and saw a bear coming toward me on an overgrown trail. He got within about 60 feet, at which point I said "Hey Bear" and he was gone in a blur of black.

Today I was walking along the edge of a field and saw a wolf seeing me about 200 feet ahead of me. He was gone fast too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature