Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2019, 01:28 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,977,890 times

Advertisements

Observed two red squirrels swimming in the stream next to the house. I've never seen them do this. They seemed to be enjoying themselves quite a bit, paddling around, splashing the water, and diving. Wish I had my camera handy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2019, 05:50 PM

20,872 posts, read 9,532,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyMae521 View Post
You may know this already, but just in case-

We have a thistle seed feeder (works also for Niger seed) that specifically draws in the finches, purple and golden. Very small holes on the feeder for these very small seeds.

These seeds are a little bit expensive, but really draw in the birds. We hooked up a tray of sorts to the bottom of the feeder to catch the seeds the birds toss away so we can put them back into the feeder for a second chance.

Here in southern New England, we see these purple and golden finch pretty much year round, although they do seem to disappear a couple times a year for several weeks at a time. Maybe when there is better food elsewhere or maybe when they are nesting...it's a mystery to us.

The chickadee and the titmouse will also go to this feeder sometimes.

Hope this helps.

As an aside, the rose breasted grosbeak likes the sunflower seeds.
My bird feeders include a thistle feeder and not one, not two but three feeders that mostly contain sunflower.

I get tons of house finches and goldfinches (which are so common as to almost be weeds) and of course house sparrows, and in the winter, juncos. A few white-throated sparrows as well, plus the usual assortment of chickadees, titmice, a few varieties of woodpeckers, blue jays, etc. But have yet to see anything more "exotic."

In the summer I'd love to see an indigo bunting and rose-breasted grosbeak, and I do know they live in the Kansas City area, but none have come to my feeders.

Old 01-22-2019, 07:13 PM

1,665 posts, read 974,799 times
These past few days, not counting today, we had beautiful weather. But cold in the mornings, warm in afternoon, cold again in the evenings. Took advantage of it!

I found out why my turkey would lay at our feet. I got off work and when I got home, I found 2 eggs. There's still a mystery abound. Do we have 2 hens that laid, or 1 laid 2 eggs? They both look alike! They're black turkeys.

I took out the Ol Smoky. Had some fresh chicken and pork/jalapeno sausage. Smoked them for about 3 1/2 hours. Tried some, they came out good!!! Vacuum sealed the links.

While smoking, watched the chickens, goats and duck play in the pen. The turkeys and guinea roamed around. I call them the 3 stooges. The cats played around the yard.

I didn't see much wildlife. Just more red winged black birds (yes!!!! My favorite!!!!) And some meadowlarks. I think they were called that. Golden yellow with a dark back. Beautiful.

Hopefully the weather gets better in the next few days. I'm itching to go riding and see what I see. Maybe see a gator. I caught one few months back, just like on Swamp People. It was a rush.
Attached Thumbnails
Tell me your nature observations!-part_1548208986363_1028181105.jpg  

Old 01-22-2019, 07:16 PM

Alligator I caught. Didn't know how to add another picture to previous post. Will try to find a way!
Attached Thumbnails
Tell me your nature observations!-part_1548209240184_0919180915.jpg  

Old 01-23-2019, 05:39 AM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,391,518 times
Nice pictures, everyone.

Been observing rain.

Old 01-23-2019, 02:39 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanGuitarist View Post
Alligator I caught. Didn't know how to add another picture to previous post. Will try to find a way!

What do you do with the alligators after you catch them?

Old 01-23-2019, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
What do you do with the alligators after you catch them?

Eat the meat. We usually fry it, taste like a gamey chicken. Also cook it with tomato paste. Makes a great red gravy served over rice.

Old 01-24-2019, 09:36 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,418,487 times
Swimming squirrels, a real meadowlark and a gator-eatin' guitar player. Quite the developments here.

Just came back to say I accidently called the frigate birds "cormorants."

We're always on the listen for the meadowlark's song. There are so few left. Heard one in Blue Mound State Park, MN about thirty years ago and again last summer north of Yellowstone in Montana. It's a sound of childhood.

My mother used to say that they sang, "I see teacher's petticoat."

Old 01-28-2019, 11:00 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,101,550 times
Was driving this morning and went around a dark curve where there are no streetlights and saw something running in the middle of the road. It was a cute little fox!! I almost hit it. I had to slam on the brakes and swerve to keep from hitting it. Poor little thing.

Old 02-01-2019, 07:31 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty in black View Post
Was driving this morning and went around a dark curve where there are no streetlights and saw something running in the middle of the road. It was a cute little fox!! I almost hit it. I had to slam on the brakes and swerve to keep from hitting it. Poor little thing.

We have three different species of fox here. Red, grey and kit. The kits are just little buggers. Not much bigger than a house cat. I was told by someone once we don't have red fox here. LOL, I beg to differ. Same person tried to tell me we don't have fleas or fiddleback spiders either. Ummm, OK. If you say so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature