Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2011, 08:40 AM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Good one!!! They are so amazing....funny comparison, soon2b....

They are so industrious...well, unless you are QUEEN!

I am trying to think of the name and author of a book....the author was the foremost authority on ANTS and he had written a NOVEL about ants, with critical success! When I remember I will post it.
Is this it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empire_...ts_(1991_novel)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 08:46 AM

8,578 posts, read 7,071,855 times
Default They're back again today

We had some visitors again this morning. My husband had mowed the yard and had rinsed off the mower out in the driveway. Here came the ducks trying to get to the water. We live about a block and a half from the Elizabeth River in Virginia Beach, so we see the ducks and geese all the time. But they've never come this close to the house...

Old 08-20-2011, 08:47 AM
bjh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
I wish I could, but I've not been able to master posting photos. ...
Quote:
I need to learn how to post photos too, and website info...the enature that satx56 found had bird photos and even bird songs/vocalizations....very nice site.
It helps to start an album. Then you can just copy the URL for any picture and use the Insert Image icon at the top of any new message and paste in the URL.

It's a good idea to resize large images before posting. Open the picutre with Microsoft Office Picture Manager and choose the Picture menu. At the bottom is Resize. 800x600 is a good size.

Old 08-20-2011, 08:49 AM
bjh

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyLady View Post
We had some visitors again this morning. My husband had mowed the yard and had rinsed off the mower out in the driveway. Here came the ducks trying to get to the water. We live about a block and a half from the Elizabeth River in Virginia Beach, so we see the ducks and geese all the time. But they've never come this close to the house...
Maybe they're looking for some more chow.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:03 AM

6,434 posts, read 5,249,107 times
Quote:
I would enjoy seeing those pretty ducks crossing my yard. But where I am even the cranes stay mostly out of sight. I see that you will always be a Texan, but since you're in Virginia Beach are you an Edgar Cayce fan?

Old 08-20-2011, 10:19 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Thanks! I guess there are more than one novel on ants! This is what I was thinking of....heard him on a NPR radio program discussing ants and his work.

Anthill: A Novel

Edward O. Wilson, Pulitzer Prize-winning non-fiction author and Harvard entomology professor

Available through Amazon.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post

Old 08-20-2011, 10:26 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
The patterns on those feathers! ....and those orange feet are adorable.

Quote:

Old 08-20-2011, 10:30 AM

8,578 posts, read 7,071,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty_FL View Post
I would enjoy seeing those pretty ducks crossing my yard. But where I am even the cranes stay mostly out of sight. I see that you will always be a Texan, but since you're in Virginia Beach are you an Edgar Cayce fan?
Haven't been there yet but there are frequently many workshops held over at the center.

Quote:
The patterns on those feathers! ....and those orange feet are adorable.
I think so too. I wish I'd been able to get closer to get a picture of their beaks. Their beaks are actually a pale green. Talk about colorful.

Old 08-20-2011, 01:40 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,572,543 times
My wife, son, daughter, mother and father in law and myself were swimming about 500 yards off the beach in Naples Florida. My father in law who was the furthest out said. "Don't be alarmed, but there is something BIG and brown heading our way." A minute later there he was, a huge manatee and he was as friendly as any lap dog. I was one of the most amazing experiences I have ever had. He let all 5 of us ride on his back. His back was so wide you really couldn't get your legs around him at all but we just sort of held on the him and he towed us around. When we finally decided we had had enough the manatee would not go away. I don't know what he thought we were going to do with him,LOL but he stuck with us until we headed back into shore.

When we told local people about this experience they said we were full of it. "Manatees are not friendly, they are very shy" they said. My daughter had her waterproof camera out there with us and she got a few picts of the manatee and us.

A few days later we were out there again and 2 of them came along. There was no way we could get anywhere near them at all. They were trying to head into a lagoon for the night and after scaring them back to sea twice we decided just to let them alone.

Until that experience of riding on that friendly one, I had no idea just how big they are. My inlaws are German and they call them sea cows and I know why. They are the size of a good sized cow.

Old 08-20-2011, 02:20 PM

19,383 posts, read 15,220,746 times
I'm way behind on my favorite thread! Great posts and photos lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Definitely. If anyone wants to have nightmares, just do a Google search of "recluse spider bite" then click on "Images" on the upper left.
No. I won't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I sleep with my windows open a bit. I love to hear what I guess are crickets as I am falling asleep.
I love that, too. I received a sound machine thingy as a "free gift" years ago. One of the selections is the sound of crickets. I've used it a lot to help me sleep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
On my walk tonight, I saw so many kitties lying out in the grass trying to stay cool. Poor things. Definitely made my dog's night. lol
A smorgasbord for your dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature