Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2020, 04:19 AM

2,955 posts, read 1,412,392 times

Advertisements

Red bellied woodpecker stopped by the picnic table bird feeder this morning. I only ever see one of those, never in pairs or groups. Little bit later I heard a blue jay's alarm, but slightly different than the usual, and then I saw a groundhog. I guess that call meant "groundhog" in bird talk. He jumped up on the picnic table and ate for around five minutes and then scurried away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2020, 09:22 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffee72 View Post
Red bellied woodpecker stopped by the picnic table bird feeder this morning. I only ever see one of those, never in pairs or groups. Little bit later I heard a blue jay's alarm, but slightly different than the usual, and then I saw a groundhog. I guess that call meant "groundhog" in bird talk. He jumped up on the picnic table and ate for around five minutes and then scurried away.

I don’t know if your eastern jays do this, but the Steller’s Jay can imitate Red-tailed Hawk well. The distinction in sounds is that the jay’s voice sounds thinner, and it comes from a lower height, such as in a tree or bush. I’ve never heard the hawk give that call from anywhere but way up high while soaring.

Old 05-09-2020, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
I don’t know if your eastern jays do this, but the Steller’s Jay can imitate Red-tailed Hawk well. The distinction in sounds is that the jay’s voice sounds thinner, and it comes from a lower height, such as in a tree or bush. I’ve never heard the hawk give that call from anywhere but way up high while soaring.
I've read online that blue jays can even make a meowing cat sound! Have never heard that nor the hawk's call. Only have heard, "Watch out!" and now today, "groundhog."

Old 05-09-2020, 03:58 PM

1,557 posts, read 1,157,918 times
Yup, I've heard blue jays here in southern CT imitate a hawk. They've fooled me a few times.

Old 05-09-2020, 08:47 PM

705 posts, read 506,126 times
I’ve seen the same pair of white swans in a cornfield in the same place for three days in a row. The must like it there. Has standing water and plenty of waste corn on the ground. They are beautiful birds.

Old 05-10-2020, 06:46 AM

Read online that putting out orange halves can attract orioles, which I never get with my picnic table bird feeder. I had some clementines that were too ripe for me, so I peeled and split them in half and put the halves on my small maple tree's branches. While making breakfast I heard a new song, looked out the sliders, and there was a bright orange breasted oriole in the tree pecking at the clementine.

Edited: Added picture of this guy.

Last edited by Taffee72; 05-10-2020 at 07:10 AM..

Old 05-12-2020, 08:06 PM

16,081 posts, read 10,744,030 times
I live in the high desert (5500') and have a 1500 gallon goldfish pond that is like a water hole in the Serengeti. I have no good idea what visits at night but I have seen all sorts of local daytime furry friends. I have an occasional raccoon which is odd in the desert. Rabbits and jackrabbits are common. The neighbor's dogs play in the stream. I assume coyotes though I haven't seen them at the pond. Feral cats show up at times (my cat gets worked up so I know they are there at night). I thought I had a mountain lion once but that was a false alarm, I think. At about 5 PM it is hummingbird time and at 5:30 sharp the doves show up. I like watching the doves because of the way they approach the water. There must be an instinct that says there could be a hidden danger because they are very cautious. These are Mourning Doves but I have Collared Doves and White Wing Doves. Roadrunners will stop by but they are mostly hunting. Gambels Quail and Scaled Quail stop by and bring their babies.

Old 05-12-2020, 10:02 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffee72 View Post
Read online that putting out orange halves can attract orioles, which I never get with my picnic table bird feeder. I had some clementines that were too ripe for me, so I peeled and split them in half and put the halves on my small maple tree's branches. While making breakfast I heard a new song, looked out the sliders, and there was a bright orange breasted oriole in the tree pecking at the clementine.

Edited: Added picture of this guy.
Oranges to attract an orange bird. Interesting. I’ve noticed that bees seem attracted to yellow in clothing.
Whether it looks like pollen or like more bees is the question.

Old 05-16-2020, 12:01 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,418,487 times
Someone took the hummingbird nest out of the bush in front.

The good news is that the cedar waxwings are passing through. Had never seen one of these birds until about ten years ago so it was thanks to hours of perusal of our World Book Encyclopedia as a child that I recognized them.

We had them as guests for several years in a row and then there was a mishap, murder actually, and they didn't return until just today. The villain is at rest under the sumac so I think they will be safe now.

Four of them just finished at my ground birdbath pestered by an annoying sparrow who thinks his family owns it.

Old 05-16-2020, 04:55 PM

4,187 posts, read 3,400,840 times
Just saw a couple of Red Admiral butterflies chasing each other around the yard.

Just like this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature