Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2011, 10:35 AM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,382,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDreams View Post
Live on an island off Washington coast and after a couple days of wind when we closed down our deck umbrella we opened it again. A bat fell out on the table and laid there long enough for us to check him out. Then when we opened the umbrella the rest of the way a second fluttered off. Had been sleeping inside the furled umbrella!_
As a kid I found a small bat asleep and hanging upside down on the column of a building. Being a kid I tapped it with a stick. When it woke it did a push up and hissed like a cat. Hadn't known they could do that until then.

Here's someone's youtube.

Live bat hissing at camera!!! - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 10:38 AM
bjh

Thought this was interesting. Make lemonade when life hands you lemons.

Galveston's Dead Tree Sculptures

Old 08-25-2011, 11:30 AM

7,371 posts, read 6,830,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Thought this was interesting. Make lemonade when life hands you lemons.

Galveston's Dead Tree Sculptures
Thanks for for sharing. This was awesome.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:34 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,260,249 times
GBH, I saw one of your namesakes this morning. He wasn't too happy that I disturbed his fishing, tho. LOts of turtles again today. Oh, DH saved a turtle yesterday. The poor thing was in the middle of the exit from Publix, trying to get to the next ditch. He looked confused - wasn't moving anywhere. He was only a few feet off of a busy highway, so the traffic must have had him befuddled. DH said he really took off once he hit that water.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:47 AM

11,865 posts, read 16,998,989 times
It's raining for the 2nd time this year in my neighborhood! All the little bugs are coming out for water.

Old 08-25-2011, 05:55 PM

560 posts, read 849,178 times
bjh - thanks for both viewings. Very interesting!

Enjoying this thread - thanks to everyone for the posts.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:21 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times
That was my second cousin you saw....

didn't your DH save a turtle not long ago, too? Good guy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
GBH, I saw one of your namesakes this morning. He wasn't too happy that I disturbed his fishing, tho. LOts of turtles again today. Oh, DH saved a turtle yesterday. The poor thing was in the middle of the exit from Publix, trying to get to the next ditch. He looked confused - wasn't moving anywhere. He was only a few feet off of a busy highway, so the traffic must have had him befuddled. DH said he really took off once he hit that water.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:27 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times
Early today:

-juvenile Gray Catbird
-Carolina Wren looking for a nest spot for her 2nd brood of the year
-dolphins yesterday but not today...Irene getting too close, I suppose.
-Red-tailed Hawk
-Red-bellied Woodpecker
-Great Blue Heron, Great Egret

and a sanderling.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:01 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,260,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
That was my second cousin you saw....

didn't your DH save a turtle not long ago, too? Good guy...
He's done it several times - it's not uncommon to see one wandering the streets down here.

Ooo...yesterday, DH hollered for me to come out to the lanai QUICK! There, flitting among our Firebushes was a huge, beautiful swallowtail butterfly. What a sight! I hope she laid some eggs!

And this morning we found 3 different sized Monarch caterpillars! Looks like our butterfly population is finally coming around.

Shortly after I started my walk, a beautiful mallard duck flew over my head and, after my walk, we saw 5 or 6 geese fly over our garage. Oh, and during the walk, I saw an alligator for the first time in a long while. I guess I've been walking the wrong paths!

Have a great day, everyone.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:17 AM
bjh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDreams View Post
We live on Whidbey Island in Washington State and would see what I knew weren't albino deer, but what we started calling pinto deer. Brown with lots of white splotches, and some with the entire hindquarters white. I Googled albino first and came across pinto deer. (So I'm not very original.)

Turns out they are somewhat common. A genetic abnormality that doesn't appear to harm them.

However, we have also seen a couple of regular brown deer with really abnormal short legs. Dachshund deer? Or more likely the results of inbreeding due to living on an island.
Interesting.

There is also something called a fallow deer. They retain their fawn spots throughout life.

Here is a "shareware" picture from wiki.

Fallow Deer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature