Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2021, 12:54 PM

2,149 posts, read 1,504,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I bought a small watermelon that had absolutely no flavor. Last night near dusk, I took the remains of it to the woods at the end of the street where the deer live who come out in the evenings to the park across from me, walked in about fifteen feet and threw it for them to find.

When I took my socks off later getting ready for bed, I saw a brownish thing on my ankle...a tick! That's what I got for my good deed. Must have jumped on my shoe, made its way under my sock and was preparing to burrow in. I had a small red spot where I picked him off. He went running up my hand so I went outside and pinged him off into the darkness.

Sometimes nature isn't as much fun as it is at other times.
No good deed goes unpunished...tick was watching saw you heading to where deer are active decided since it fell off the deer it would hitch a ride on you...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2021, 01:00 PM

2,149 posts, read 1,504,963 times
So i live in a motel temporarily and was outside puffing on a lung deflator and was entertained by several blue jays and 1 crow all furiously contesting bread and possibly some pizza crust...quite funny when a jay grabbed a long piece of pizza crust got halfway up to tree fumbled it whereupon the crow hopped over snagged it and flew off...the jay was totally bummed...

Old 05-07-2021, 01:47 PM

6,612 posts, read 13,452,326 times
There were three juvenile (last year) broad-winged hawks here yesterday afternoon. Two sat perched in ash trees 100' apart and the third flew around them. They called back and forth for a few minutes before leaving together. I assume they're migrating together.

Old 05-11-2021, 07:38 PM

20,714 posts, read 9,311,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Update on this: For the past 2-3 weeks I've been seeing the chickadees go in and out of that bird house several times a day. They're really busy! I might try to get a pic or video of one going in or out, but that might be hard to do since I'd need to get close to the birdhouse to get a good shot because I don't have any sort of telephoto lens, and the birdies might not be kind to me getting so close.

Last week there was a squirrel sitting on the top of the fence next to the bird house, and the two chickadees were giving it a hard time. Squirrel must have been like, "Huh? What'd I do?" Sometimes I've seen squirrels sit right on top of that bird house.
I got a video today!

Last week I saw a squirrel trying to sit right on top of the box, and the chickadees were dive-bombing it. Was pretty funny.

Old 05-12-2021, 07:02 AM

4,848 posts, read 3,261,145 times
In my garden high up in willow eurasian jay.

Old 05-12-2021, 08:37 AM

12 posts, read 4,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
I got a video today!

Last week I saw a squirrel trying to sit right on top of the box, and the chickadees were dive-bombing it. Was pretty funny.
yes what a busy little bird, thanks for sharing

Old 05-13-2021, 12:11 PM

4,168 posts, read 3,358,936 times
Just returned from a short stroll, happened to look up, caught sight of a bird of prey ( likely a Cooper's or Red Tail hawk), with grackles or crows mobbing it. It was hard to tell which at such a distance. They kept harassing it, and eventually the hawk moved elsewhere.

Old 05-13-2021, 10:27 PM

1,121 posts, read 1,697,141 times
I posted earlier about the "squirrel puppy" that has been entertaining itself with sticks and gymnastics in my yard. Today, it was squirrel "kitten"....silly thin found a piece of a vine caught up in a Cast Iron plant at the base of a tree. That little bugger toyed with that "string" for a good 10 minutes before finally jumping into the plant and then up the tree.
Honestly, I think the COVID has given our squirrels a bad case of Identity Crisis!

Old 05-15-2021, 09:18 AM

11,907 posts, read 8,227,609 times
I've noticed the baby squirrels here are just like children. They have to get their little paws on everything, turning stuff upside down, knocking things out of the trees.

Mr. Wren arrived this week right on time. He's been siting on top of the wren house proclaiming ownership. So far so good. Haven't see a mate yet.

Old 05-16-2021, 12:39 PM

3,950 posts, read 4,188,738 times
We have a Blue Grosbeak couple hanging around our feeder. I'm in South Jersey, and this is the northern edge of their breeding territory. We love watching them. He is beautiful. She looks like an "ordinary finch", but close-ups with binoculars confirmed she is a female Blue Grosbeak. They will sit and eat seed for quite a while before flying away.

A sparrow and a house wren were getting into it over one of our birdhouses. The house wren kept saying, "Chchchchchchch" to the sparrow, who also wanted to claim the house. The wren is tiny, but my money is on him winning that battle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature