Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2022, 06:37 PM

10,950 posts, read 6,678,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
pathrunner, do you suppose the goose was rejecting her baby or was she expecting you to take care of it? Seems like odd behavior. Do they usually lay eggs hither and yon? I thought they prepared a nest to put them in.
Hi, been away I'm baffled by this as well. I should do a little research about it, I guess. I was away for 5 weeks so the front yard was very quiet (it's where I and my dogs usually hang out). This (goose laying an egg in our front yard) happened only 1-2 days after I got back. So that's odd too. One would think it would happen while I was away.

This makes me wonder what the people across the street do with the eggs. We are not in contact with them (he is extremely antisocial and a germophobe) so I have no idea. Curious though. My favorite YouTube Channel, Gold Shaw Farm, has geese, ducks and chickens (amongst other animals). He is allergic to goose eggs, so he gives them to his livestock guardian dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2022, 08:01 PM

694 posts, read 486,164 times
Turkey wandered through the yard, sparrows have returned since winter, lots of white tail deer everywhere. And of course ducks and geese heading toward the Arctic.

Old 05-13-2022, 09:01 PM

613 posts, read 1,008,575 times
I found my back yard garter snake, dead. My dogs would chase it occasionally; one would try to pounce on it with his front feet. I've never seen them so excited, although the snake didn't enjoy it. I don't know if the dogs killed the snake; there were no signs of trauma. Hopefully, it died of old age in its sleep.

Now what do I do with the snake - bury it?

Old 05-15-2022, 05:28 PM

613 posts, read 1,008,575 times
Well, I buried the snake. And upon closer examination I noticed a couple of puncture marks on its belly. I think my dog grabbed it like she did the garden hose a few years ago. Either that or a snake fight!

AND there was a frog treading water in the watering can. When I took him out he croaked (literally) twice. Very cute.

Old 05-15-2022, 05:30 PM

50,060 posts, read 46,570,390 times
The Orioles all have babies. Mom and dad are busy rustlin up some grub for them.

Old 05-15-2022, 11:08 PM

6,706 posts, read 4,357,873 times
The last ten years or so I have lived here, I've had this big magnolia tree in the front of my driveway. The doves love to nest there, the same spot in the tree every year. I parked a little under it for the shade. I could tell the nesting season when there were spots on my car. I'd scare them off, they come back. I'd scare them off. they come back. I have read they will return to the same nesting spot. Well the tree is gone now. A circle of sawdust left over on the now flat ground where the stump was chewed up. Today, I saw 2 doves walking around on that circle of sawdust. I guess thinking, is this the right spot.

Old 05-16-2022, 09:02 AM

10,950 posts, read 6,678,831 times
This year for the first time, we have two little striped chipmunks. So cute. Of course, my dogs now have yet another reason to go nuts.

Old 05-17-2022, 02:58 PM

11,907 posts, read 8,227,609 times
I saw something that made me smile yesterday. I've talked about my little shad garden under my computer corner window.
It's partially hidden by a lilac and the more shy birds like to feed there . The cardinal pairs come at least twice a day.

I have an edging of rocks on one side of the garden and every year I plant annual salvias in bright red along there where
I can see them out the window.

Yesterday Mr. Cardinal hopped down from the feeder and approached a salvia. He stood there and cocked his head as if puzzled by this creature which seemed to share his crimson color but wasn't acting very bird-like. Cute.

Old 05-17-2022, 10:50 PM

5,607 posts, read 4,152,798 times
I found a black widow female decorating her new home on the patio about 3 feet from where I like to do Tai Chi and yoga at night. I'm still sorting out how I feel about this development.

Old 05-18-2022, 07:30 AM

2,646 posts, read 2,138,482 times
I have had my windows open for a week due to the A/C going out. I was concerned our Yorkie would hear to much outside noise to let us sleep. But she did not until the last night. She woke us up at the foot of the bed barking and growling. My wife said it sounded like a big cat. I figured it was a racoon being I have been seeing their tracks. When I got up to check the Yorkie ran straight to the door, but I would not let her out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature