Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2022, 02:44 PM

23,291 posts, read 18,810,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
OK I just got a really good look at it, and you might be onto something here.

It's walking around really shaky, with stiff limbs. But it also looks like its sight and maybe even hearing might not be so great. It's not responding to me turning on my back porch light at all, and is only somewhat responding when I poke my head out the window to tell it to stop shaking the bird feeder. It also went to check the tree stump again, and the way it did it looked like it was having a hard time seeing it, it seemed to be trying to find it via smell.

Poor guy.
When we think of raccoons, we sort of default to infectious diseases that show acute short term symptoms: rabies, leptospirosis, canine distemper, parvo. There are also parasites that create slower but progressive neurological/brain damage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2022, 04:29 AM

50,269 posts, read 47,023,439 times
How is it possible a bird that weighs ounces, squawks day and night. Yes, Mockingbird I am calling you out. At least you are down the street a bit. Waking us up at 3 am.... Hope he gets a mate soon.

Old 07-16-2022, 08:59 AM

11,026 posts, read 6,870,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
How is it possible a bird that weighs ounces, squawks day and night. Yes, Mockingbird I am calling you out. At least you are down the street a bit. Waking us up at 3 am.... Hope he gets a mate soon.
I can relate! When I lived in Scottsdale I had one outside my condo's bedroom window that drove me nuts every single spring for 6 years. Then I moved here and it was a problem last year but doesn't seem to be a problem this year.

Old 07-16-2022, 09:19 PM

20,864 posts, read 9,529,660 times
Agreed, mockingbirds have to be the most ... energetic ... bird singers out there. Some of them just go on and on and on and on. There's one I always hear in the parking lot of my supermarket, and I sometimes wonder if the thing ever stops to catch a breath and, like, eat?

Old 07-17-2022, 08:42 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times
Last night my son and I were relaxing on the deck and were treated to a bunny sunset party. At first it was just three young bunnies chasing each other 'round and 'round our neighbor's garage. Soon two more had joined in.

For about fifteen minutes they frolicked in her back yard. Fun to watch.

I was glad to see none were interested in our yard and young kitty Emma showed no interest in them. So they've got that figured out now.

Old 07-17-2022, 10:19 AM

1,400 posts, read 765,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almrausch View Post
My tomatoes are being enjoyed by some wildlife creatures.The latest naughty critter I encountered was a chipmunk holding in his paw a sweet million ripe red tomato,then he stuffed it in one of his cheek pockets and plucked the next ripe one and stuffed it in the other cheek pocket.He saw me coming with a bowl to harvest my ripe tomatoes,he dared to look at me and his face looked big and it seemed he was grinning from one ear to the other.It looked like he was telling me "too late old lady I took the ripest ones for my family" and he took off to his family I assume.I don't mind sharing,but this year he must have brought his relatives....
I think you will be blessed for your kindness. Chipmunks are adOrAble, even when escaping with two of your tomatos

Old 07-18-2022, 07:57 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,217,972 times
Driving south on I-75 on Friday I passed through Paynes Prairie just south of Gainesville and the lotus were in full bloom for hundreds of acres as far as you could see on both sides of the road. It was a beautiful sea of yellow lotus blossoms. This is not my photo but it shows what they look like.

Old 07-19-2022, 11:17 AM

2,713 posts, read 2,212,297 times
Yesterday while driving to the park that we walk at I almost hit a huge buck crossing the road. Today while walking at the park we had to pause our walking due to watching a doe with two fawns. The fawns were jumping around and playing. At one point we was about 10' away. It made the walk a lot more enjoyable. I was afraid I would scare them aware by reaching for my phone.

Old 07-19-2022, 09:52 PM

25,569 posts, read 17,275,200 times
Two cardinals, male and female, were luring an owl into my yard by playing "injured bird". It was broad daylight and I can't imagine how this whole thing got started, but there was something they did not want the owl to see.
Jenny, our miniature pinscher, attacked soundlessly, but all three of the birds decided to retreat and find something else to do.

Interestingly, I saw another owl today weaving through the trees making sort of a mewing sound. I hear barred owls at night. They are large owls like the one I saw in daylight, so I am assuming I am seeing the same owl.

Old 07-21-2022, 09:30 AM

2,036 posts, read 1,603,591 times
Possibly spotted a rare North American gray wolf near Knoxville, IA two days ago. Definitely not a coyote, as it was much larger. It was moving into some brush, and out of sight. After research, there have been some recently reported sightings of them in eastern IA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature