Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2022, 12:03 PM
KB4

1,032 posts, read 1,640,995 times

Advertisements

A few days ago I was working in my home office when a deer appeared right outside the window and stared at me for a couple of minutes before walking away. We were both equally surprised. The dog was asleep on the daybed and missed the whole thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2022, 06:17 AM

2,714 posts, read 2,215,475 times
While looking out the patio door window late yesterday afternoon I had our Yorkie(Sophie) in my arms. There were five deer (bucks and doe's) in the street. Sophie went crazy wanted to chase them. It has been weeks since we have seen any deer, so I did not want to scare them off. They wandered on down the street and went back in the woods. I am surrounded by woods. It has been extremely hot and dry and I have tried to put some water out for them with no luck.

Old 07-27-2022, 08:26 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,542,872 times
Lots of monarchs in the flower gardens. Also, a honeybee drone came up short on his return to the hive yesterday and spent the night on a sunflower. He was still drying off and warming up when I went out early morning but has since flown away.

Old 07-27-2022, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Lots of monarchs in the flower gardens. Also, a honeybee drone came up short on his return to the hive yesterday and spent the night on a sunflower. He was still drying off and warming up when I went out early morning but has since flown away.
There has been a lot of big butterflies in my yard since I had a sand topping put on my lawn. They are mainly black. The sand along with me watering it is attracting them I guess. Our killer Yorkie (Sophie) keeps chasing them. Sophie also chased off about six deer yesterday evening. She is a monster.

Old 07-27-2022, 02:23 PM

20,872 posts, read 9,536,978 times
I've hardly seen any monarchs around me the past couple years.

Old 07-27-2022, 02:39 PM

493 posts, read 326,157 times
My friend and I camped in Yosemite Valley in November many years ago. There weren't many people camping at that time of year and we might have been the only ones without an RV. Well, I've never seen so many critters around a campsite in one night.

First of all, the pesky raccoons kept trying to get to our food in the trunk of the car. They did make off with a pack of hot dog buns. At one point, we huddled in the car for warmth and the raccoons were all over the car, peering at us through the windshield. I wish I had tried to get a photo of that.

We were also cooking some steaks and a coyote couldn't resist the smell of them. He kept circling our campsite and we had to keep shooing it away.

My friend was dressed in black and lying down on the picnic table. I was sitting next to the table when I noticed a bear was standing about 15 feet away from us! I had never been that close to a bear before. I didn't panic - I started to shoo it away. My friend sat up from the table and that scared the bear, as it took off running.

However, the bears were not done for the night. They would periodically walk past our campsite, looking for unguarded food. One approached a family of campers and they got scared and hid in their car. The wife was honking the horn on the car as the bear casually moved in and began to eat their food. That's when I figured out the bears' strategy.

They would walk up to some campers to see how they would react. If the campers shooed them away, they would amble off. But if the campers panicked and fled for their car/tent, the bear would move in and pick through the food. I was impressed that a 300lb. bear could walk past our campsite and be eerily silent.

Old 07-28-2022, 09:57 PM

20,872 posts, read 9,536,978 times
Update on my crippled backyard raccoon.

I've pretty much determined he/she is just a very old raccoon. He/she comes every night. Just saw him on my bird bath getting a drink of water! When I turned on my backyard light I got him a bit startled, and he had a hard time getting down from the bird bath. I'm surprised he's not knocking it over, if the top of the bath landed on him it would sure hurt the guy. It looks like he's got a severe case of arthritis and something like Parkinson's mixed in (or the raccoon equivalent of Parkinson's). He's also a bit skinnier than your typical raccoon. He's gotten somewhat used to me turning on the backyard light and me looking at him through my kitchen window ... my cat also likes watching him, lol. I confess I've been putting a bit extra stuff out there late in the afternoon for him. Last week my cat turned her nose up at some cat food, so instead of throwing it out I put it out for the raccoon, and he ate it. Last night I put out some cherry tomatoes, and today I made sure there was some extra bird seed out on my stump.

Opossums are getting some of this stuff too. A couple nights ago I saw 3 of them out there!

If this was an ordinary raccoon I wouldn't be nice like that to him, but this guy is so bad off I really feel sorry for him.

Old 08-01-2022, 07:08 PM

I got one of those metal cones for shepherd hooks to keep critters off of the bird feeders. The raccoons defeated it real quick and emptied out the bird feeders.

Old 08-01-2022, 07:43 PM

11,064 posts, read 6,881,999 times
Yes I returned mine as soon as I opened the package it would never work with the raccoons.

Old 08-02-2022, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Yes I returned mine as soon as I opened the package it would never work with the raccoons.
I put it back up, but put a screw in the flap where it would not come apart. I put my game camera out and it showed four racoons two times last night. One even climbed up the bird bath to drink some water. They did not try to climb up the pole, but the bird feeder was empty again. I will put a small amount of seed in the feeder until I figure out what is getting the seed. It does keep the squirrels out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature