Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2022, 03:05 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,777,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Did you mean gopher snake? We released a gopher snake, not a corn snake. He did have a corn snake for a brief while. Gopher snakes are illegal, or were, for a pet shop to hold for sale when my son was a child.

Edit: Just to add, my family was standing there when a man brought in the gopher snake. The shop owner immediately said he could not take it in because it was illegal. The owner turned to us and asked us if we wanted him because we were there to buy a snake for my son. That's when we decided to take him. I'm not sure, but the man who brought in the snake probably got him somewhere in the wild nearby. The shop is only a few miles from the San Gabriel Mountains, so he was likely released right back into his native habitat. Sure wish I could remember why the guy had him in the first place. I texted my son who remembers the snake, but doesn't remember the interaction with the man who brought the snake in. He was a little kid then.
Yes, I meant gopher snake. The regulations certainly could have changed since your son was a kid. The need or reason to protect native species from commercial exploitation shifts all the time as populations and habitats change. Before making a factual statement usually best to check the reference. You still had no way of knowing where or when the guy got his gopher snake or how long he'd kept it. It still could have infected wild snakes with non-local parasites (either picked up from other herps he had, even from domestically produced feeder rodents), viruses or bacterial diseases. .

Last edited by Parnassia; 10-22-2022 at 03:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2022, 04:21 PM

10,988 posts, read 6,857,477 times
Yeah, it was about 30 years ago so who knows. The pet shop owner should have warned us, if that was the case, which it likely was. Oh well, too late now. And who knows? The pet shop owner may have been aware of parasites infesting snakes and didn't want it in his shop. Very well could have been the case.

Old 10-22-2022, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Yeah, it was about 30 years ago so who knows. The pet shop owner should have warned us, if that was the case, which it likely was. Oh well, too late now. And who knows? The pet shop owner may have been aware of parasites infesting snakes and didn't want it in his shop. Very well could have been the case.
Parasites in captive reptiles are easily detected and controlled. It's the wild ones that end up forced to live with them...or not.

Old 10-23-2022, 05:55 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,213,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Hmm, not sure about that. Usually, you can detect traces of skin patterns in the sheds of snakes that have bolder markings. The large skin in your first photo has no markings. It may have been left by a black racer.
We have lots of black racers but that skin is far too big for any racer I've ever encountered. It appears to have had a diameter of around 3" at the wide point and looks like the snake itself was around six feet long. I suppose it could have been an indigo snake. I saw one in the yard about a year ago.

Old 10-23-2022, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
We have lots of black racers but that skin is far too big for any racer I've ever encountered. It appears to have had a diameter of around 3" at the wide point and looks like the snake itself was around six feet long. I suppose it could have been an indigo snake. I saw one in the yard about a year ago.
Certainly could be.

Old 10-23-2022, 03:58 PM

Default brunch guest

Woke up to this handsome gent munching the grass under my bedroom window this morning. Sometimes they bed down so close to the wall I can hear them belching.
Attached Thumbnails
Tell me your nature observations!-resized-brunch-guest.jpg  

Last edited by Parnassia; 10-23-2022 at 04:47 PM..

Old 10-24-2022, 06:10 AM

9,436 posts, read 5,201,523 times
Took the dog out at O-Dark-Thirty and I thought it was raining. Realized it was a slight breeze blowing the remaining leaves off the trees out back onto the leaves already covering the ground. It was lovely. I stayed out there for a few minutes to enjoy it.

We also had a phenomenal sunset last night...but I have too much trouble posting pictures here. But it was pink and orange and it filled the sky. The inside of our house was pink. It was amazing.

Old 10-25-2022, 06:50 AM

9,436 posts, read 5,201,523 times
Another dog thing - at 3:25 this morning, the stars were just magnificent. crystal clear and I saw a few shooters. It was also very mild, so I let the motion sensor light shut off and just stood out there looking up. Hard to get that in a city.

Old 10-30-2022, 05:56 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,464,896 times
Fractured my right heel bone last Saturday so this weekend getting out of the house amounted to having wife drive me around at birding hotspots where you can get photos from car. Saturday we saw one Bald Eagle at a nearby lake. Today got good photos of a Savannah Sparrow and Red Shouldered Hawk, get a great air show (but no photos) from a Northern Harrier, and briefly saw a Loggerhead Shrike, which was our target species for that location. Also got to see a locally rare flock of White Pelicans on the river. Most years have a small number come through, this flock is about 20 birds.

Old 10-31-2022, 09:41 AM

10,988 posts, read 6,857,477 times
That's quite a nice haul you got there! Not much going on here in terms of wildlife... big storm shooed all the birds away. Very few left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature