Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2023, 11:18 AM

11,099 posts, read 7,070,069 times

Advertisements

Sitting in my office I heard a loud knocking as though someone was knocking on the door. Turned out to be a woodpecker drilling the wood siding on the house. They've done it in the past, but this time it was super loud because it was right on the other side of the wall.

I did see a Downy yesterday but I doubt it was him. Could be, though.

Last edited by pathrunner; 01-05-2023 at 12:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2023, 11:35 AM

50,638 posts, read 47,480,236 times
Right now we have a whole flock of parrots going to town in the neighbor's fruit tree. I think they are Red-masked Conures but hard to tell since they look fairly soggy as it's pouring rain.

Old 01-06-2023, 04:25 PM

6,650 posts, read 13,620,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Right now we have a whole flock of parrots going to town in the neighbor's fruit tree. I think they are Red-masked Conures but hard to tell since they look fairly soggy as it's pouring rain.
Thanks for mentioning them. I'll be in CA in early February, and I hadn't thought about parrots.

Old 01-07-2023, 01:27 PM

11,099 posts, read 7,070,069 times
Default Fascinating Beekeeping operation in Switzerland!

This is a YouTube channel I stumbled on. He is really good. Fascinating tour of a Swiss beekeeper's self-designed and built huge bee house. Inside beekeeping because of the harsh winters in Switzerland. Very interesting and beautiful! This guy truly has an amazing setup. Minute 17:34 to minute 26:25. The YouTuber is a beekeeper himself, in England.

Videos are very long so I put them on in the background. He also forages and cooks wild mushrooms outside his van. Have to say he's an amazing cook!

https://youtu.be/EcvE9Lbj19c?t=1054

Old 01-07-2023, 05:26 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,433,598 times
Default Bears,bison, and moose

I grew up in northern Canada where wildlife is a part of our lives. It is not unusual to run across black bears while camping rough (not a RV park), at picnics, or while picking wild berries or mushrooms in the bush.

The weird thing is that I seem to know they are around me but they're out of sight hiding in the woods next to my campfire. My companions don't believe me when I tell them the faint rustling is a bear nearing our camp. They guffaw. Then, they find out they should listen to me because the bear appears at the edge of the campsite. By the time they start running to get inside their vehicles, I have been in my car for some minutes already. This kind of thing happened at Riding Mountain National Park in Manitoba, Chilliwack Lake Park in B.C., and a campground near Kenora, Ontario. That's 3 times.

Another time in northwest Ontario, a brown bear ran fast between our picnic table and the fire straight through our campsite. It came in from down the road not the bush. That time I did not sense its presence was forthcoming. Some nut with a camera decided to run after it. Duh!

I worked in the crew camps way up north in an isolated area in the bush for an oil and gas operation near Liard, B.C. at the four corners of Yukon and Northwest Territories and Alberta and B.C. To give you an idea where it is, it's a 20 hour drive or 1250 miles north from the Montana US border. The bears would hang out nearby, smelling food. Part of my job was to go out at night after I cleaned the supper kitchen, haul garbage bags full of scraps to the incinerator, light it up and throw the bags in. I had to have my head on a swivel keeping an eye out ready to make a dash if I had to. For a few days there was a mother with 3 cubs loitering around the site. That's a very dangerous combination. I also saw buffalo of the Wood Bison breed roaming wild.

The last time I saw a moose with my own eyes, was at my mother's house in Grande Prairie, northern Alberta, in the winter. A bull moose ran down the middle of the road right past her house and down the block to the park.

Last edited by kitty61; 01-07-2023 at 05:36 PM..

Old 01-08-2023, 05:46 PM

50,638 posts, read 47,480,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Thanks for mentioning them. I'll be in CA in early February, and I hadn't thought about parrots.
OB has the most I've seen if you want to go check it out. They are super loud.

Old 01-08-2023, 06:07 PM

68,394 posts, read 54,674,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
I grew up in northern Canada where wildlife is a part of our lives. It is not unusual to run across black bears while camping rough (not a RV park), at picnics, or while picking wild berries or mushrooms in the bush.

Only one I've seen close up was coming down a hill into a town in northern NJ on a motorcycle when a LARGE bear ran across the road 20-30' in front of us. And I thought deer were the biggest bio hazard on the road.

Old 01-09-2023, 05:54 AM

6,650 posts, read 13,620,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
OB has the most I've seen if you want to go check it out. They are super loud.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Only one I've seen close up was coming down a hill into a town in northern NJ on a motorcycle when a LARGE bear ran across the road 20-30' in front of us. And I thought deer were the biggest bio hazard on the road.
NJ has a LOT of bears. People feed them the way they feed squirrels. It's a sad situation.

Old 01-09-2023, 06:24 AM

50,534 posts, read 64,519,554 times
We have a window feeder that allows us to get a close view of the birds. The cardinals are the most frequent visitors. It occurs to me that, while the males beautiful, the females are just as pretty. They’re such a lovely shade of brown with the orange beak.

Someone said the males feed first to make sure it’s safe for the females, but to me it looks more like the females are just bullied.

Old 01-09-2023, 08:23 PM

68,394 posts, read 54,674,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Thank you!

NJ has a LOT of bears. People feed them the way they feed squirrels. It's a sad situation.

I was lucky, I saw it in daylight, I know right around the same time there was an accident or two between vehicles/bear at night, not a pleasant thought at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature