Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2024, 11:47 AM

6,652 posts, read 13,645,436 times

Advertisements

There are two eastern phoebe hatchlings in a nest above my studio door. I was skeptical. With people in and out and me working on flower gardens six feet away, I didn't think they'd hatch. I couldn't see a parent sitting on the eggs. They're fuzzy and silent. I'm going to enjoy watching their little faces grow (It's all I can see with them up so high.) until they leave. Until they fledge, there won't be any porch sitting between clients, and I'm okay with that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2024, 11:54 AM

3,034 posts, read 2,284,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
There are two eastern phoebe hatchlings in a nest above my studio door. I was skeptical. With people in and out and me working on flower gardens six feet away, I didn't think they'd hatch. I couldn't see a parent sitting on the eggs. They're fuzzy and silent. I'm going to enjoy watching their little faces grow (It's all I can see with them up so high.) until they leave. Until they fledge, there won't be any porch sitting between clients, and I'm okay with that!
We have a family of house finches on our front porch. This is her third brood this year: 5 eggs, 5 eggs, then 3 eggs and a cowbird egg she evicted. That poor girl doesn't get a break!! At least dad is around to help sometimes, and she doesn't mind if we come in and out!

Old 06-12-2024, 12:06 PM

15,139 posts, read 9,989,599 times
Leatherback Turtle laying her eggs. She was approximately 7' long and probably weight 700+ lbs. She's heading back out. Tell me your nature observations!-leatherback-turtle.jpg

Old 06-12-2024, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
We have a family of house finches on our front porch. This is her third brood this year: 5 eggs, 5 eggs, then 3 eggs and a cowbird egg she evicted. That poor girl doesn't get a break!! At least dad is around to help sometimes, and she doesn't mind if we come in and out!
I think I'm seeing both parents feeding them. I leave a garden fork standing up in the nearby garden. They use it as a perch while waiting for an insect, and I appreciate the pest control.

Old 06-13-2024, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunk View Post
I have this little runt of a rabbit in my back yard. The thing is so tiny (about the size of 2 eggs glued together).

He's got black fur & a giant butt so he waddles when he hops

He's absolutely adorable! I named him "Cassidy" (hop along Cassidy).
Love his name! Do you have snowshoe hares? They're born fully furred, able to eat solid food, and ready to leave the nest. They do nurse, but they wander from the nest.

Old 06-13-2024, 10:56 AM

7,452 posts, read 5,381,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
I watched today when a female Red Breasted Grosbill showed up at the feeders with a fledgling in tow. The little guy perched nearby, squatting, fluttering it's wings held akimbo, holding its mouth open, begging, while mom made repeated excursions to fetch food and transfer it to the kid.....One problem-- the kid was obviously a cowbird.

Imprinting is a two way street. I guess.

Old 06-15-2024, 03:06 PM

12,797 posts, read 10,031,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Leatherback Turtle laying her eggs. She was approximately 7' long and probably weight 700+ lbs. She's heading back out. Attachment 251368
Wow, that must have been quite a sight! Thanks for sharing :-)

Old 06-15-2024, 04:46 PM

23,768 posts, read 19,605,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Wow, that must have been quite a sight! Thanks for sharing :-)
Leatherbacks get HUGE! I recall a much less thrilling encounter with a leatherback. It had washed up on a public no-vehicle access beach in NJ in an inconvenient spot. It was too long dead to attempt an onsite necropsy and too big & heavy to move without machinery. It was mid July and hot. Poor thing was literally bubbling.

Guess who spent hours digging a hole deep enough to bury it? Two of us dug a pit as far underneath it as possible planning that eventually the remaining sand would collapse under its weight, and it would slide in all by itself. Jenga game comprised of turtle, not wood. Problem with that plan was, someone would probably still be down in the pit when it happened, and the steaming turtle might fall on top of them. Luckily, both of us avoided that unhappy fate. We finished burying the turtle and retreated to truck, lots of soap and a shower. A week later the tide had exposed it again, even the worse for wear. We'd learned our lesson and let nature takes its course after that.

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-15-2024 at 05:22 PM..

Old 06-15-2024, 05:15 PM

15,139 posts, read 9,989,599 times
When something is dead... leave it. Death = life for so many other organisms.

Old 06-15-2024, 05:21 PM

23,768 posts, read 19,605,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
When something is dead... leave it. Death = life for so many other organisms.
Agree. If we hadn't kept getting complaints about the smell, we would have!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature