Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2019, 12:49 AM

2,955 posts, read 1,412,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Looks like a Coopers hawk. Maybe a Rough Leg. Hard to tell specifics cuz hes kinda grainy but t I think those are good guesses.
Yes, you are correct, it was a Coopers hawk! Yesterday I was putting out the bird seed and peanuts on the picnic table in my backyard for The Regulars and the squirrels and heard the hawk's call.

Same exact sound as from the bird website in Nanny Goat's link...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
Coopers Hawk while walking. Very close one time and another time in a tall, tall tree sounding like what's described here. I don't think I'd heard one this clearly before.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/..._Hawk/overview
Looked around and this time, Hawk was across the street very high up in a tree. Loudly I imitated the call back to the him and there was a little bit of back and forth, but the game ended as I had to go to work.

Discovered on the same site that Coopers hawks prey upon birds. The hawks particularly love to eat mourning doves and blue jays, which are exactly what come to feed in my back yard. No wonder they have been missing in action. I will have to figure out how to get rid of Hawk.

Here is another grainy, blurry picture of Hawk, taken while we were shouting at each other on Christmas eve morning.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2019, 09:41 PM

32 posts, read 11,741 times
I saw a small kit fox walking around in my neighborhood, they are so cute!

Old 12-27-2019, 03:28 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
i just saw two bats flying around, two days after Christmas. in maryland.
it was about 52 degrees at the time.

Old 12-27-2019, 04:19 PM

1,056 posts, read 726,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
i just saw two bats flying around, two days after Christmas. in maryland.
it was about 52 degrees at the time.
I saw a bat flying around on Christmas day, too. Here in Tennessee. I don't know the exact temp (I wasn't at my house), but it was probably in the mid 50s to mid 60s Fahrenheit at the time.

Old 12-27-2019, 04:57 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt-lover L.A.M. View Post
I saw a bat flying around on Christmas day, too. Here in Tennessee. I don't know the exact temp (I wasn't at my house), but it was probably in the mid 50s to mid 60s Fahrenheit at the time.
for here, i don’t think it’s a good sign. do you have bugs out and about?
these were out wasting their fat reserves without catching any bugs.

Old 12-27-2019, 05:48 PM

25,737 posts, read 12,815,111 times
Last week, I saw a baby wild hog, solid Black all by itself crossing a Road in Sarasota County Florida next to a new apartment complex construction site. It must have gotten seperated from its Mother. It couldnt have been more than a week old based upon its size.

Old 12-28-2019, 11:06 AM

2,486 posts, read 1,419,665 times
Last week I saw a big red tailed hawk fly in and land on a pole across from my house. I have seen him plenty of times before but this time in the background about 50 yards away I saw a large buck walking by himself crossing into a neighbors yard. I got 2 cool views at the same time. I live in the city...

Old 12-28-2019, 03:34 PM

1,056 posts, read 726,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
for here, i don’t think it’s a good sign. do you have bugs out and about?
these were out wasting their fat reserves without catching any bugs.
Not many like in other seasons, but yes. Brown recluse and ticks don't go dormant here (although their metabolism still slows), and ants barely do for a month (January) while not doing so in significant other parts of the state.

Old 12-30-2019, 03:32 PM

4,254 posts, read 3,175,378 times
Great Blue Heron making his weekly rounds to my large pond. A few years back I didn't have a cover over my Japanese Koi pond and the Heron cleaned it out....expensive lesson!

Old 01-02-2020, 01:01 PM

2,955 posts, read 1,412,860 times
This afternoon went on an hour long walk in a park near a lake and saw something in a tree.
First thought it was a white plastic bag but upon peering more closely, saw it was a bird.

Giant round white body, black head with a sharp, yellow beak. I assume some sort of hawk?

He did not make a sound and was high up in a tree. I whistled at him, but he didn't respond.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature