Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2021, 03:13 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,039,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
We have a doe who comes by regularly, looks inside the front glass door for us to come out. Only certain mornings. I go out w/ 2-3 small carrots and that seems to be what she's looking for. She doesn't like any other deer around her, we've seen.
That's so cute. There are a few babies once in a while that run back and forth in the backyard. I wish one would come to the door for a carrot. I did see two beautiful bucks the other day crossing the road.

The deer are very active at night. They ate my hostas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2021, 03:22 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,914,161 times
Have not explored this forum yet. Looking forward to it based on the little bit I caught already.

Question....I have been putting out clay dishes and plastic type pot saucers, large ones, for wildlife food and water. Wildlife loves it. My question is any recommendations because the saucers quickly get mildew-looking from wildlife bathing etc. I had been scrubbing them in the basement hot water and it worked nicely but I would like to do something that doesn't involve bringing them indoors at all. Yet anything other than hot water may not do the trick...because other cleaners seem to involve chemicals. Ideas?

Old 08-05-2021, 08:51 PM

254 posts, read 261,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by penlady61 View Post
Just watch your dogs and your neighbors dogs if they have any . coyotes like to play with dogs but they will try and lure the dog out and the pack will kill the dog if it follows them . Just a warning .
We have very remote property in the mountains we are thinning out to build a full time cabin. One of the other land owners were up with a rescue dog they hadn't had very long over the 4th of July. I was working on our property a cpl days ago and this dog showed up from nowhere. She stayed around me the whole time but wouldn't get close. I ended up texting the neighbor just in case she was his and she was. She was very thin but made it up there for 3 1/2 weeks. We have many coyote close and howling pretty regular and the locals always talk about seeing mountain lions. I was very suprised she had made it that long.

The last couple nights I was at the property there were hundreds of dragonflies that came out about the time the sun started going down. It was so cool to watch them play, like they were flying around playing tag. They were just a bit smaller than humming birds. We had them back east in southern Ohio but I'd never seen them in Wyoming. So cool and peaceful!

Old 08-06-2021, 10:19 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,986,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
Turkey vultures.....lots and lots of Turkey vultures down at my pond. Didn't see any dead animals.....told my girlfriend to keep moving!!
Who wins a battle, a vulture or a raccoon? Answer: raccoon. We supplementally feed a diurnal raccoon (backstory below). She was eating her breakfast when a vulture landed nearby probably to see what she was eating. (No dead animals nearby, but vultures will eat just about anything that resembles food including garbage.) The raccoon chased off the vulture and continued to do so all through our backyard every time it landed. It landed on the top of a dead palm trunk, and she started to scale the trunk, sending the vulture up into a tall pine. Fascinating! And no, no photos, no video ... I was too enthralled to pick up a camera.

Backstory about Twiggy the raccoon ... she showed up at the beginning of May skinny skinny (thus named after that 1960/70s model Twiggy) and in rough shape, and it was evident she was a nursing mother. She showed no symptoms of disease after a few days of observing even though she was here only during the day and not at night. She has little fear of us and not afraid at all of our cats who watch her through the screen door. Based upon all her behaviors we believe she was a dumped pet (pets get dumped often where we live), and doesn't know how to forage for food or isn't very good at it. We've been feeding her ever since.

A bit over a week ago she brought her two babies, or they followed her. Good sized, maybe about half her size. Probably weaned or near so. And happily they are petrified of humans and anything else that moves. Both are good tree climbers. It's our hope they are learning how to be "normal" raccoons. Our camera trap has not seen them during the night, but that could mean they are awake and foraging out in the woods or in the marsh and not relying on human providers. The babies haven't been back ... to scarey here I guess lol.

Old 08-07-2021, 06:07 PM

12,042 posts, read 8,421,785 times
All day I've been watching a tireless little bandit of a chipmunk who's been pilfering the cracked corn DH put out for the jays and squirrels. Back and forth he goes from the woodpile to the corn, stuffs his cheek pouches and scoots off.

This trip I saw he paused to eat. Must be nearly bedtime for him.

I'm sure like all the other ones he's thinking he'll be well stocked for winter. But little does he suspect that some day DH will take a notion to live trap him and take him down to the nature preserve along with all the others. All that work. . . I feel a little sorry for him.

The Canadian geese have discovered the beach at my swimming hole. Drat. This is not good for all the kids who love to play on the beach.

I tiptoe around their leavings and launch on my floatie. They have a whispered conversation about me while we all float together. Other than their murmurings it's been pretty quiet there since they arrived.

Old 08-09-2021, 10:45 PM

254 posts, read 261,738 times
We rode a new trail yesterday (Sunday) that I discovered last yr while hunting. About 2-1/2 miles in we jumped up 5-6 cow elk and 5-6 calves. The bull I seen there last year has been doing his duty very well. Actually thought they were gonna run right over us as they made an arc around us. My young mule wasn't liking the idea of being run over by the elk but took it fairly well. The elk calves were beautiful!

We've seen a huge # of elk of the years. This time I was thinking to myself, dang that tall grass looks as though something has just walked through there. Seconds after thinking that is when we jumped the elk up. Can't say how many times I've seen elk track and think to myself, dang that track looks fresh, just seconds later running into the elk. You'd think I'd learn to get the camera ready but nope. Just not that bright I guess.

Old 08-10-2021, 11:24 AM

3,507 posts, read 765,449 times
i have added about an ounce of pancake syrup to my hummingbird feeder and it has quadrupled the activity .. i have about 4 birds that come all day long .. they will empty the 6 or so ounce feeder every day and a half .. i smelled of the original red liquid stuff and it had no smell .. the syrup really livened it up ..all my other birds are away somewhere ..

Old 08-10-2021, 12:05 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
Took a walk the other day. Coming back, I saw something in the road. Then, it's moving. Got closer and it's Mr. Turtle trying to cross the road. Moved him to the other side. I thought about it for a minute and went back, moving him farther out, right at the edge of the woods in the tall grass. There's a little creek and lots of trees in that area. No houses or roads. Thought that's probably where he was going. I've read to move them the way they're walking. He was a box turtle.

Old 08-10-2021, 09:59 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,259,315 times
Several female hummingbirds showed up last week. Very strange. Other than a single female seen early in the summer, this is the first we have seen of female hummers all summer. I can't figure out why they showed up in August, when they will be migrating next month. Well, since they showed up, it has been lively around here! They bicker and fight over the 2 hummingbird feeders all day long. Dive-bombing each other, squeaking, and generally making war. These are female ruby-throated hummingbirds, BTW. All summer, we have only seen males, and they were far less territorial than the females are. Hubby and I have a theory that the boys were having keggers all summer long, and the females couldn't let them have all that fun, so they just showed up to put the boys in their place. LOL Well, it's as good an explanation as any for this strange summer of no-female-hummers-until-now!

Old 08-14-2021, 05:28 AM

2,714 posts, read 2,215,475 times
We have had two hummers most of the summer, but we have seen 5 in the last few days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature