Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2011, 07:18 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times

Advertisements

My request for a nature forum was turned down, was told to post in science....but no one posts bird, animal, rock, tree, etc posts there!

Today I saw a Yellow-billed cuckoo...brown w/long tail that has tear-shaped white spots...very secretive bird, I was happy to see one.

And: pair of Downy woodpeckers and 2 juvenile Red-bellied woodpeckers cavorting in the trees. Dragonflies galore.......lots of yellow-orange-red blooming lantana in my area now.

What have you observed recently about our natural world?

gbh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 07:22 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,256,282 times
I walk every morning, right around sunrise here in SW Florida. Lately, I've had the honor of being joined by possums mating, racoons, rabbits, a gator or two, tons of turtles and fish, all kinds of cranes, herons, a pair of ducks, a trio of cardinals, bluejays, mockingbirds, blackbirds, red headed woodpeckers, oh, gosh, all kinds of various animals and birds. What a joy. Oh, squirrels...can't forget them!

Old 06-06-2011, 07:25 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,798,588 times
...and a partridge in a pear tree.

Ok ,...so it's a woodpecker!

Old 06-06-2011, 07:28 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,529,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
My request for a nature forum was turned down, was told to post in science....but no one posts bird, animal, rock, tree, etc posts there!

Today I saw a Yellow-billed cuckoo...brown w/long tail that has tear-shaped white spots...very secretive bird, I was happy to see one.

And: pair of Downy woodpeckers and 2 juvenile Red-bellied woodpeckers cavorting in the trees. Dragonflies galore.......lots of yellow-orange-red blooming lantana in my area now.

What have you observed recently about our natural world?

gbh
Godd thread, gbh. I also love mother nature in it's simplest, most natural form.

I like sitting outside at night and telling myself to close my eyes and identify every sound I hear. One night I heard four distinct packs of coyotes, deer sounding the alarm call, countless frogs, etc. Once I had a cottontail come up and sit and watch me for what seemed like an eternity at around 2 AM. My dog was sound asleep and never caught his scent.

A few weeks ago, late at night, I pointed my flashlight skyward, and by coincidence a large owl flew right through the flashlight beam! Awesome.

Or as we NDN's say, Good Medicine.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:30 PM

Awesome!

Love S Fla....I live on the coast as well-one reason: my area is in path for migration

Kudos for you getting up so early, best time for birds/animal sitings

Thanks for posting

gbh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
I walk every morning, right around sunrise here in SW Florida. Lately, I've had the honor of being joined by possums mating, racoons, rabbits, a gator or two, tons of turtles and fish, all kinds of cranes, herons, a pair of ducks, a trio of cardinals, bluejays, mockingbirds, blackbirds, red headed woodpeckers, oh, gosh, all kinds of various animals and birds. What a joy. Oh, squirrels...can't forget them!

Old 06-06-2011, 07:31 PM

Well these critters are just everywhere here.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:31 PM

Aren't those black/white stripes amazing? And then a touch of red??

Thanks!

gbh
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
...and a partridge in a pear tree.

Ok ,...so it's a woodpecker!

Old 06-06-2011, 07:40 PM

Outside at night, no lights-great!!

4 pks of coyotes, wow....and seeing an owl is special! I love frogs too....my last neighbor had a pond (we all had several acres) and at night they were so loud, almost deafening!! Last evening a tiny frog was on my deck furniture-the little darling

It is during these times that I feel really serene....all is well.

Thanks, enjoyed your comments!

gbh

Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
Godd thread, gbh. I also love mother nature in it's simplest, most natural form.

I like sitting outside at night and telling myself to close my eyes and identify every sound I hear. One night I heard four distinct packs of coyotes, deer sounding the alarm call, countless frogs, etc. Once I had a cottontail come up and sit and watch me for what seemed like an eternity at around 2 AM. My dog was sound asleep and never caught his scent.

A few weeks ago, late at night, I pointed my flashlight skyward, and by coincidence a large owl flew right through the flashlight beam! Awesome.

Or as we NDN's say, Good Medicine.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:43 PM

Is that a juvenile possum? Cute~

Ours around here get rather big but not as big as raccoons!! (bandits fumble around on my deck at night and my indoor cats go nuts)

gbh

Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Well these critters are just everywhere here.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Is that a juvenile possum? Cute~

Ours around here get rather big but not as big as raccoons!! (bandits fumble around on my deck at night and my indoor cats go nuts)

gbh
Yes, it is a young possum probably living in my backyard as many have. I saw him a cross the street though and sort of herded it up a tree in my yard. You say cats??

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature