U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 07:48 AM

8,308 posts, read 35,846,228 times

Advertisements

As I get older, it's easier and easier to mix up 1917 and 1918.

What the Migratory Bird Treatise Act boils down to is that you do not have the right to kill, injure, possess (including feathers), harass, interfere or interact with any native bird or that bird's habitat nor do you have the right to profit or benefit in any way from any of the above and doing so is at your own peril (in your case that peril is very small unless you manage to find a gung-ho, squared-away rehabber to consult with). Essentially, the only birds in North America that do not enjoy protection are pigeons, sparrows and starlings.

Depending on your state, game birds can have additional layers of protection and greater risk of additional punitive action - so just be mindful.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 03:55 PM

14,613 posts, read 20,426,268 times
Yeah I would like to know how the little guy or girl is doing also .

Old 06-30-2011, 05:36 PM

5,244 posts, read 14,699,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
I called my neighbor 9since this is normal daily work for her0 and asked what to feed in an emergency using typical household product. She said to take some rice, any other grains (coud be cereal like Special k or Grape Nuts), any oats and mash them together similar to what corn meal is like. If you have any raw natuaral nuts (walnuts, cashews, peanuts or even hard dry corn) those could be added as well so long as they are not processed with salt and flavor. Add a small finger swipe of peanut or almond butter and even a drop or two of honey. The concern is that chlorine is an appitite suppressor in yourng quails so food intake is important. You also want to hydrate the bird. That;s a good emeregncy common household product solution. She does recommend having someone familar with them give it a checkup before attemtping release.

She also said to call your local or state game and fish and see if there is a rescue relase group in your area. They usually take them in and care for them until cleared for release.

I know how you feel and aren't they not only beautiful but expressive as well. Good luck and keep us informed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Go on your state DNR website and look for a wildlife rehabilitator - they will be listed by county, ask them what and how to feed baby birds. It can be sort of complicated; you can kill them with improper feeding if they aspirate food. I have a friend who is a wildlife rehabber, but she isn't up yet and won't answer phone or email until later. DM me if you want to to find out how to feed the baby and I can get back to you tonight!

I know she uses canned cat food, raw meat shreds and things like that for carnivorous birds, and something she mixes up with cereal and other ingredients for others. Perhaps similar to what PacificFlights suggested. I've helped her feed baby birds but don't know exactly what she uses.
TN doesn't believe in 'rehab'. I contacted wildlife when we moved here about a baby bird that fell out of a tree. Closest - and only rehab I could find - was about 4 hours from me and you have to wait until they 'have room'. I was told to put it back under the tree and if it lives until they have room they'd come get it.

I've never in my life seen a state that sucks as much as this one when it comes to anything animal related. It's like the people running the state and half the residents just don't care. I did wildlife rehab with a place in Florida for years, so I just brought the little one in and fed him until he was older and rehabbed him until he could be released.

Sadly, the little quail didn't make it. Ryan said it was eating the bread and seed and stuff and drinking water from the little butter lid he had water in. After he went to bed his girlfriends little daughter thought that wasn't enough water so she put a dish of water in there. 'Vanderbeak' as he'd named it, jumped into the water dish, got totally soaked and then sat cold and wet. When he woke up the little one had already passed.

I'm passing on getting more quail. We'd been bringing home groups of 20 to 30 per year the first few years we were here, just because we love hearing them out back. It worked; there are plenty here, but they all live in the tree line at the edges of our pasture. Was hoping we'd get more this year, raise them a few weeks before their release and they'd stay close. But they probably won't. And we've got neighbors that love to hunt, so I'd hate to find out the idiots had been shooting them for fun.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:53 PM

6,591 posts, read 22,310,961 times
sorry to hear about the little guy but at least he gave it a go.

the good news is, if i move like i want to by this time next year there mght be one more rehabber in tn...im ct state certed for vectors, so im planning on certing in tn and expanding from not only vectors but raptors too.
Ill be in western tn though.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:01 PM

Have you contacted the wildlife dept about it yet? I asked about it when I moved here since I'd done rehab work in Florida and the closest - and only - facility I could find was Walden's Pond about four hours from me. I was told they don't do rehab here, period. He wouldn't even discuss it with me. I just assumed that meant they could care less about the wildlife and planned on letting 'nature take it's course' even though a huge percentage of the rehab I had to do in Florida was because of humans, not nature. Left me with a really bad taste in my mouth for this state. Should have thought a little more about that at the time.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:42 PM

6,591 posts, read 22,310,961 times
i was told classes are few and far between but because im ct certed it shouldnt be too difficult to tranfer it over to TN.

alot of it is old school mentality, same reason dogs are let to run loose and people dont spay and neture...
wildlife are often "pests" and people dont have the time, patients or education in the feild of wildife and its benefits. seems to be a general rule of thumb in most states as you get away from the coast, particularly the south...

Old 07-01-2011, 12:00 PM

Well, I'm glad there are at least occasional classes. Sure wish they'd step things up in this state.

I've been harassing my county for ages that we need some kind of animal facility - or at the very least annual registration of pets for rabies vaccinations - and it's just fallen on deaf ears. So tired of hearing that a facility isn't needed because a bullet is cheaper and there's no money for a facility, etc. I've given them business plans on how a facility can run itself without more than start up cost to the tax payers, etc. I've given them references where I've done consults for other shelters and my proposal for them has cost the counties a ton of money. Suggested vaccination clinics quarterly. The whole time I'm looked at like a crazy person.

Well, it's come back to bite them now. A friend just called me. She was bitten very badly by her neighbors dog, roaming at large of course. Dog wasn't vaccinated - they never are out here. Now she's suffering through the rabies shots herself. She's beyond livid because she's been here the last couple years as I beat my head against that brick wall and they'd come up with one excuse after another. Now she's on the phone with the county and the state chewing out everyone. *sigh*

Came up with a vaccination program AGAIN with a rabies license program. Will offer to run it for free if they'll just get a plan in place and start doing things right. Even put down everything on paper down to the penny showing if they have just 100 people show up they can clear nearly a grand and fully vaccinate people's pets, including a very tiny $3 annual registration fee. We have no shelter. My rescue was the only one in the entire county and I've had to close it for financial reasons. We don't have a single veterinarian or vet office in the county. We need something. Certainly hope this little turn of events will open their eyes. Had my friend been a 3 year old child they'd be facing one heck of a law suit since they flat refuse to enforce state laws. Pretty sad.

Point was - I'm so glad you're moving to TN!!! We need more people like you!!!

Old 07-07-2011, 04:13 PM

6,191 posts, read 16,223,227 times
Belated....I am sorry about the baby quail. Sometimes there's a reason babies are abandoned by mom...bless Ryan and his girlfriend and kid for trying.

I'm in regular email contact with a couple of dog rescue people in the south (Alabama, SC) and...well, it just seems to be a different mindset in parts of some southern states. re: vaccination clinics...the rescue I was VP for here in Michigan had giant turnout for our vaccination clinics. It was a huge fundraiser, basically. And a chance for people to get inexpensive rabies and other vaccines so they could register their dogs (our biggest by far clinic was every February; cut-off for registration here is the last day in Feb.)

Jimbo...thanks for the explainer! My friend is pretty hip to DNR regs, but because she lost her house last year she isn't currently licensed for lack of proper space. I've learned quite a lot from her over the years, though.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:34 PM

3 posts, read 3,225 times
i bought 10 quials bobwhites i belive they said they were how do u feed them why do they died i lost 6 in 2 days & i cryed for them what am i doing wrong they have an light they are in an 10gla fish tank they have an heat light they have food & water i even mashed them an egg they even have starter food i know not what eles to do

Old 12-13-2011, 07:59 PM

3 posts, read 3,225 times
will here it is 9:51pm i am down 2- 4 hanging in 2 ate off my finger of egg that i mashed up for them & drank water but the other 2 wouldn't do nothing they look smaller then the 2 who were eatting of my finger of the egg they still have the light on them & the 2 are running around but the other 2 don't look like they will last another hr it is heart breaking seeing them died & can't help them or know why they are dieing they are only 5 inches from the heat light and are in a 10gla fish take & the top is 1/2 open so they get air they have water in egg box & food on an plate & paper shaving on the floor of the tank with capert under all of it just 2 of them are running around so far the other 2 are laying down doing nothing so far
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature