Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 02:38 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,142,891 times

Advertisements

Despite their terrifying implications, none of the aforementioned predictions come close to my favorite: a global oceanic "burp."

I'm talking, of course, about methane; or more specifically, the potential of a global release of methane from the seafloors. Current estimates show (http://www.globalchange.gov/publications/reports/scientific-assessments/saps/301 - broken link) there to be anywhere from 500 to 10,000 gigatons of carbon stored as methane on the ocean floor. Compare this stored amount to the 2008 atmospheric carbon level of 810 gigatons, and you can see how a release of even a fraction of this underwater methane could have a tremendous impact on our planet. High methane levels are already hypothesized to have caused the Triassic-Jurassic Extinction event, where up to 50% of all marine species became extinct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 11:17 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,625,524 times
We can't agree on who actually shot JFK..pardon me if I'm a bit skeptical about what some climatologists think happened however millions of years ago.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:36 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,224,938 times
Aren't some experts pointing their fingers at methane as being the cause of most of the disappearances in the Bermuda Triangle?

A massive methane eruption occurs, changes the buoyancy of the water and the ship sinks/the aircraft engine is starved of oxygen, stalls and crashes?

Old 08-04-2011, 12:07 PM

12,111 posts, read 23,331,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Aren't some experts pointing their fingers at methane as being the cause of most of the disappearances in the Bermuda Triangle?

A massive methane eruption occurs, changes the buoyancy of the water and the ship sinks/the aircraft engine is starved of oxygen, stalls and crashes?

I saw something about that on TV. Makes more sense than alien abductions.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:18 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,625,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post

Have they found a lot of boats sitting on the ocean floor in the Bermuda Triangle?

Old 08-04-2011, 04:50 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,142,891 times
This paragraph should not be there.

Quote:
If this climate change "horror story" were to occur, the Earth will most certainly adapt as it has done in the past. The question posed to all humankind is: Will we adapt? Well, after we've dealt with the anticipated massive rise in the sea level, the billions of refugees, and the guilt from knowing that we caused the extinction of millions of species, maybe we can all take a trip to the tropical waters of the Arctic? I'm sure it would be quite picturesque.
Good grief. It starts out suggesting there could be a big "burp" of methane from the ocean floor and ends up with this inane comment about guilt...

Old 08-04-2011, 06:18 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,756,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
This paragraph should not be there.

Quote:
If this climate change "horror story" were to occur, the Earth will most certainly adapt as it has done in the past. The question posed to all humankind is: Will we adapt? Well, after we've dealt with the anticipated massive rise in the sea level, the billions of refugees, and the guilt from knowing that we caused the extinction of millions of species, maybe we can all take a trip to the tropical waters of the Arctic? I'm sure it would be quite picturesque.
Good grief. It starts out suggesting there could be a big "burp" of methane from the ocean floor and ends up with this inane comment about guilt...
I noticed the heading at top left on that page said "Real Clear Science". Real clear inane science. I was fine with the article until I read this.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:02 PM

21,191 posts, read 19,803,878 times
Well, aren't we special that the ocean has decided to hold off farting for 67 million years.

Old 09-30-2011, 02:46 AM

13,666 posts, read 10,057,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Have they found a lot of boats sitting on the ocean floor in the Bermuda Triangle?
The beauty of this one, is that these pockets of Methane leave a massive hole from which they have come, the ships are said to fall straight down into them and disappear forever.

Old 09-30-2011, 02:51 AM

3,423 posts, read 3,218,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
We can't agree on who actually shot JFK..pardon me if I'm a bit skeptical about what some climatologists think happened however millions of years ago.
But then, you think evolution is an atheist conspiracy theory, so what the frell do you know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature