Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 11:31 AM

3,423 posts, read 3,214,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
That little ditty made me laugh out loud. That's what the scientific community is all about nowadays. From evolution to global warming to the debate on abiogenesis, "research" is all about the research grant and "proving" the theory.
Not at all. Of course, I wouldn't expect a Calvanist with little, if any, science education to understand the distinction between a scientific theory and a religious belief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 11:31 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
Not at all. Of course, I wouldn't expect a Calvanist with little, if any, science education to understand the distinction between a scientific theory and a religious belief.
I don't have the faith to be an evolutionist..you guys believe the craziest things.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
I don't have the faith to be an evolutionist..you guys believe the craziest things.
That's a good thing because scientific theories require evidence to support them, unlike religious faith, which of course, is a belief in something not in evidence. Congratulations.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
That's a good thing because scientific theories require evidence to support them, unlike religious faith, which of course, is a belief in something not in evidence. Congratulations.
No...not really. You guys believe in evolution without a lot of real evidence. That takes too much faith.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:
No...not really. You guys believe in evolution without a lot of real evidence. That takes too much faith.
No, we don't have much evidence at all. Just 150+ years of scientific investigations by scientists from all walks of life and nearly every scientific discipline from all over the planet. Live in denial all you care to. You are not going anywhere with your delusions. What do you have? Oh right. A motto - "God did it". Congratulations.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
No, we don't have much evidence at all. Just 150+ years of scientific investigations by scientists from all walks of life and nearly every scientific discipline from all over the planet. Live in denial all you care to. You are not going anywhere with your delusions. What do you have? Oh right. A motto - "God did it". Congratulations.
And a huge lack of fossil evidence. Darwin himself said that there would be loads of evidence found if his theory was correct. There hasn't been...and it isn't.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:
And a huge lack of fossil evidence. Darwin himself said that there would be loads of evidence found if his theory was correct. There hasn't been...and it isn't.
As a geologist who is published and have collected MANY fossils in my lifetime, I have to call you on your rather naive and uninformed claimed. Darwin lived 150 years ago, and even then, there were huge fossil collections, most of which were poorly curated. His problem was that he lived in a small village in England, whereas these collections were dispersed all over the globe. Transportation being what it was in the day, you can imagine the difficulty he would have had trying to gain access to them.

Today, we have MANY more such repositories (and better transporation, plus the internet), not the least of which is the U.S. National Museum, which is the repository of nearly every new fossil species found and described in the U.S., and many from other part of the globe as well. They have in their possession alone millions of fossils and many specimens of modern species. And they are just one such repository. To say nothing of the fact that we now have far more and better trained people studying them and reporting their findings than was the case in Darwin's day. Now, if you have doubts about the existence of these fossils, or simply want to study them in detail, I suggest you write a letter to the museum and request specific access to any you may want to study. Or you could simply subscribe to one or more of the many wonderful paleontology journals that provide detailed descriptions of them as they are found. Such a subscription also give you access to previous publications that you could browse to your heart's content. At any rate, I could care less what you think you know, because it is quite obvious that you simply haven't a clue.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:01 PM

Quote:
you don't honestly think that maybe scientists are motivated by funding?
I'm a geologist, and no, I am not motivated by funding. Scientists apply for grants on projects that THEY choose. Those projects are by and large not chosen for them. I am published in the Journal of Paleontology. My work was funded in part by a grant from the NSF. They did not come to me and offer me funds with the caveat that I made certain politically driven findings. I came to them for financial assistence for the work I was doing in cooperation with other geologists. And it was driven by scientific curiosity and the need to advance research on a specific area of paleontological research. And I was not paid for my efforts. The funding only paid for the field work and the fossil preparation, which was extensive and done independantly.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:08 PM

Quote:
That little ditty made me laugh out loud. That's what the scientific community is all about nowadays. From evolution to global warming to the debate on abiogenesis, "research" is all about the research grant and "proving" the theory.
Clearly, your head is not residing in an atmosphere of breathable oxygen. You have my sympathies.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:22 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Evidence... interesting word, isn't it? And I'm sure you REQUIRE ALL evidence to find anything believable? So, what is lacking in the theory of evolution that you have in what you probably see as "knowledge". I can't explain your take, however I can at least try getting the point across with scientific theories (as we have tried in the other thread here).

Evidence... we have more of it as time goes by. Science doesn't operate on a timeline, it counts on experiences, observation and analysis, raising questions and trying to arrive at answers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature