U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 03:11 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts

Advertisements

Why don't you tell us what wrong entails or how you would know if something is wrong. Then we can better answer your question.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 03:17 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,326,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
Why don't you tell us what wrong entails or how you would know if something is wrong. Then we can better answer your question.
I'm questioning how the process of evolution would account for morality.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:18 PM

13,144 posts, read 21,619,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post

How about you? Was Hitler wrong? what would you base your opinion on?
Yes Hitler was wrong. As a human being I abhor the slaughter of millions of people and attemp to take over the planet to the detriment of my own people.

But does the moon care about Hitler? Does your dog? How about aliens in Andromeda? Probably not.

Humans err in thinking their perspective is THE perspective of the universe. Everything we are or ever will be is a tiny grain of sand in a vast ocean, and no amount of grandiose thinking will change that. Still, our perspective is certainly valid to ourselves, as it directly affects ourselves.

This really boils down to argument for (or against) the existence of god (who would supposedly connect such disparate perspectives) That belongs in another forum, however.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Yes Hitler was wrong. As a human being I abhor the slaughter of millions of people and attemp to take over the planet to the detriment of my own people.

But does the moon care about Hitler? Does your dog? How about aliens in Andromeda? Probably not.

Humans err in thinking their perspective is THE perspective of the universe. Everything we are or ever will be is a tiny grain of sand in a vast ocean, and no amount of grandiose thinking will change that. Still, our perspective is certainly valid to ourselves, as it directly affects ourselves.

This really boils down to argument for (or against) the existence of god (who would supposedly connect such disparate perspectives) That belongs in another forum, however.
No...this isn't really about proving or disproving God's existence. This is about questioning whether or not evolution can account for the existence of morals.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
No...this isn't really about proving or disproving God's existence. This is about questioning whether or not evolution can account for the existence of morals.
If morals didn't come from god (the only possible force that could establish pre-existing morales on the universe), where would they come from? Humans, of course.

...And where did humans come from? Either they evolved from earlier forms of life, or god made them.

So how is this NOT about god? And if that is the case, WTF is this in the Science forum?

Old 08-25-2011, 03:37 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Oh! that is even easier than what you mentioned in the OP - you said ABSOLUTE morality.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
If morals didn't come from god (the only possible force that could establish pre-existing morales on the universe), where would they come from? Humans, of course.

...And where did humans come from? Either they evolved from earlier forms of life, or god made them.

So how is this NOT about god? And if that is the case, WTF is this in the Science forum?
Whoa now. What are you saying? I posed the suggestion in another thread that the universe was either created by a personal or an impersonal creator.

Sounds to me like you're suggesting that. Is that it?

Old 08-25-2011, 04:13 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,065,091 times
Quote:
Man is a social creature exactly because it is evolutionarily beneficial for individuals to work together in order to survive. In order for people to work together, there has to be structure, rules, a pecking order, etc (and an angry alpha male!).

Old 08-25-2011, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Whoa now. What are you saying? I posed the suggestion in another thread that the universe was either created by a personal or an impersonal creator.

Sounds to me like you're suggesting that. Is that it?
It seems perfectly natural to me that a bunch of social hairless bipedal apes with big heads would evolve certain codes of behavior that would tend to further the existence of the species as a whole. Otherwise, we wouldn't be here today.

All animals do it, though not to the exent humans have taken it.

Suggesting that morals exist apart from humanity means there has to be some sort of higher power to have put them in place, however. Alas, we would have to go to church to examine this idea any further... and as we all know, science is full of godless heathens for whom this forum is intended.

That is what I'm saying.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:28 PM

378 posts, read 672,163 times
Quote:
So can you say definitively that Hitler was wrong?
Sure. I can't guarantee that another person will feel the same way, though I believe they should.
Quote:
The links I provided give some background on this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature