Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 09:39 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
genocide?
Immoral. Do you think it was moral? Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 10:09 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,616,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Immoral. Do you think it was moral? Why?
I don't, no. But then I don't believe we are here by process of evolution.

I'm wondering how you can judge a man wrong for something you believe he did because of natural process of evolution. How can you hold anyone responsible for their actions?

Old 08-26-2011, 10:17 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,813,426 times
Quote:

I'm wondering how you can judge a man wrong for something you believe he did because of natural process of evolution. How can you hold anyone responsible for their actions?
Calvinist, expand your horizons! You can have morals and be an evolved ape at the same time!

All human laws are arbritrary and made up; laws are valid only if there is someone powerful enough to enforce them.

We need to have the wisdom to choose/create/enforce/perpetuate the best arbitrary system available to us. It's all we've got.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
What has evolution (a natural process) got to do with your response about genocide being moral or immoral?

Quote:
I can't blame evolution for someone being an idiot, just like (I'm sure) you won't blame God for having "designed" such an immoral person. Or does that make for a poor assumption, and that you believe God did so deliberately?

As for judging, I'm applying a simple approach... asking self: Would I subject self (or my loved ones) to the pain and suffering that I want to bestow upon others? Heck, I wouldn't go torture an insect "for fun". Would you?

Old 08-26-2011, 10:24 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,616,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
What has evolution (a natural process) got to do with your response about genocide being moral or immoral?
If they evolved to think that such behavior was good to do, how can you say they were wrong?
Quote:
I can't blame evolution for someone being an idiot, just like (I'm sure) you won't blame God for having "designed" such an immoral person. Or does that make for a poor assumption, and that you believe God did so deliberately?

As for judging, I'm applying a simple approach... asking self: Would I subject self (or my loved ones) to the pain and suffering that I want to bestow upon others? Heck, I wouldn't go torture an insect "for fun". Would you?
Why do you think your standards are better than anyone else's?

Old 08-26-2011, 10:32 AM

Quote:
If they evolved to think that such behavior was good to do, how can you say they were wrong?
Replace "evolved" with "created", and your question will read like this:
"If they were created to think that such behavior was good to do, how can you say they were wrong?"

What would be your response? I hope you won't be blaming "creation" then. A person may actually evolve into a demon... evolution does leave room for that. Or, that "demon" may actually know very well that he is doing something wrong but the gains outweigh the benefits. Do you seriously believe that can never happen?

Quote:
Why do you think your standards are better than anyone else's?
I'm setting a standard for myself, and I certainly won't mind lending credit to reinforcing such thought in me from teachings of Buddha, Jesus etc. Clearly, you never do that? But you believe that your standards are flexible? That sometimes it is okay to torture others... things you would never want done to you and your loved ones?

Old 08-26-2011, 10:51 AM

378 posts, read 707,472 times
I can't speak for anyone else, but I think the presentation of evolution as a parallel to religion is a flawed approach. Evolutionary theory is simply a model that happens to fit the available data about the world very well. We can use this model to produce some very useful results.

I originally thought that this thread was an honest expression of interest in research on the evolution of human knowledge and morality. That's a scientific topic suitable for discussion in this subforum.

Evidently, I was mistaken. Look: evolution provides a mechanism for making positive claims about how moral standards may have developed in humans. It doesn't make any normative arguments about how we should view the world.

My personal moral beliefs follow a somewhat consequentialist outlook. The wrongness of the Holocaust is derived from its awful effects. What caused Hitler to develop a sick disregard for human life isn't relevant at all.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2018 View Post
What caused Hitler to develop a sick disregard for human life isn't relevant at all.
I believe the original point was to credit creationism for what Hitler was.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:43 AM

3,423 posts, read 3,214,065 times
Quote:
genocide?

Yes. What? You don't think he was?

Old 08-26-2011, 11:45 AM

3,423 posts, read 3,214,065 times
Quote:

Hitler did what he did because he was a friggin insanely angry man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature