U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-11-2012, 08:10 AM
 
164 posts, read 168,180 times
Reputation: 90

Advertisements

...could lead to an increase in solar activity that would result in global warming?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-11-2012, 08:55 AM
 
16,308 posts, read 25,929,935 times
Reputation: 8322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansarado View Post
...could lead to an increase in solar activity that would result in global warming?
Nothing on earth could possibly effect the sun, The earth could fall out of orbit and fall into the sun and other than a brief light show the sun would continue on its life cycle, unaffected by anything external.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2012, 09:17 AM
 
164 posts, read 168,180 times
Reputation: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Nothing on earth could possibly effect the sun, The earth could fall out of orbit and fall into the sun and other than a brief light show the sun would continue on its life cycle, unaffected by anything external.
I mean, would a weakened Ionosphere allow for global warming? In the sense that the layer of protection, (as I perceive the Ionosphere to be), would break down, which I imagine would let the sun affect us on a greater level?

Also, in regards to what you say about the relationship between the sun and the earth, is it possible that the entire solar system is an arrangement of longitudal electro magnetic radiation, so a large electro magnetic event on earth could potentially effect the sun?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2012, 10:59 AM
 
Location: Ohio
22,283 posts, read 15,649,107 times
Reputation: 18790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansarado View Post
...could lead to an increase in solar activity that would result in global warming?
That should be the least of your concerns. The ionosphere absorbs or reflects ionizing radiation. If the ionosphere "disappeared" or became heavily depleted, it would radically alter human life on Earth, if not result in the total extinction of humans.

Globally warming...

Mircea
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2012, 11:04 AM
 
164 posts, read 168,180 times
Reputation: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
That should be the least of your concerns. The ionosphere absorbs or reflects ionizing radiation. If the ionosphere "disappeared" or became heavily depleted, it would radically alter human life on Earth, if not result in the total extinction of humans.

Globally warming...

Mircea
That's what I figure, but I presume on a smaller scale that it may affect global warming.

But obviously, I am not a scientist by trade, and I'm hoping that a scientific mind out there can break this down to layman's terms.

Truthfully, I wonder if sending ELF waves into the ionosphere, possibly from multiple locations, can drain it and cause it to weaken.

AND if this is the case, is global warming a possible outcome in this scenario?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2012, 01:44 PM
 
19,172 posts, read 58,246,575 times
Reputation: 34716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansarado View Post
I mean, would a weakened Ionosphere allow for global warming? In the sense that the layer of protection, (as I perceive the Ionosphere to be), would break down, which I imagine would let the sun affect us on a greater level?

Also, in regards to what you say about the relationship between the sun and the earth, is it possible that the entire solar system is an arrangement of longitudal electro magnetic radiation, so a large electro magnetic event on earth could potentially effect the sun?
The electromagnetic spectrum blocked by the ionosphere would not convert to a significant heat source, even if the ionosphere was somehow weakened. If it became an issue due to electrical interference, I suspect that it could be "bulked up" in a manner similar to the experiments of the 1960s, where easily ionized materials were shot into it by rockets.

As for any event on earth affecting the sun, no way. The scales are radically different. Consider Mike Tyson in the ring, doing his thing, and ten feet away a fly buzzes by. The vibrations caused by the beating of the fly wings are not going to affect how Tyson fights. Same thing for earth and sun.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2012, 04:50 PM
 
16,308 posts, read 25,929,935 times
Reputation: 8322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansarado View Post
Also, in regards to what you say about the relationship between the sun and the earth, is it possible that the entire solar system is an arrangement of longitudal electro magnetic radiation, so a large electro magnetic event on earth could potentially effect the sun?
About as the same level that the disturbance created by a butterfly's wing in Africa would change the course of a tornado in Kansas.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2012, 06:31 PM
 
16,833 posts, read 15,136,756 times
Reputation: 20777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansarado View Post
I mean, would a weakened Ionosphere allow for global warming? In the sense that the layer of protection, (as I perceive the Ionosphere to be), would break down, which I imagine would let the sun affect us on a greater level?
The ionosphere itself is a product of solar radiation. Therefore if it was weakening (no signs that it is beyond the normal diurnal/seasonal variations) then solar intensity would also be weakening proportionally. Therefore no increase in heating, likely the opposite.

Quote:
Also, in regards to what you say about the relationship between the sun and the earth, is it possible that the entire solar system is an arrangement of longitudal electro magnetic radiation, so a large electro magnetic event on earth could potentially effect the sun?
What would a large electromagnetic event be?

In order to reach the sun it would need to be within a few orders of magnitude of the strength of the electromagnetic waves coming from the Sun, given the smaller size of the Earth, it would need to be an event so large it would rip the Earth apart.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2012, 06:37 PM
 
16,833 posts, read 15,136,756 times
Reputation: 20777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansarado View Post
That's what I figure, but I presume on a smaller scale that it may affect global warming.

But obviously, I am not a scientist by trade, and I'm hoping that a scientific mind out there can break this down to layman's terms.

Truthfully, I wonder if sending ELF waves into the ionosphere, possibly from multiple locations, can drain it and cause it to weaken.

AND if this is the case, is global warming a possible outcome in this scenario?

What possible mechanism is there for ELF to breakdown the ionosphere?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2012, 07:19 PM
 
164 posts, read 168,180 times
Reputation: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
What possible mechanism is there for ELF to breakdown the ionosphere?
Wat?

I don't even know what you're talking about. I just figured that those were the natural waves of the earth. Like I said, I'm no scientist.

I'm just concerned with global warming and the welfare of the planet. I'm hoping that we can solve this issue and save people on this planet and make it livable for this generation and generations to come.

If there are issues other than CO2, and they can be solved in harmony with the planet and the people, they should be seeked and resolved.

That's why I'm wondering if geology issues can affect the state of the planet as well.

Most, and I think including you, have answered said it's not possible, so this is no longer an issue.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:26 PM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top