U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-31-2012, 10:24 PM
 
Location: Richardson, TX
8,720 posts, read 12,417,489 times
Reputation: 3755

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
Of course that quotes from recognized experts on the can be used. What is wrong with that?
Well, I didn't need to know that these experts were on the can. However, you changed the quote, resulting in a conflation. You probably don't want to do that. Even quote miners don't usually do that. Just sayin'.

No link to the original paper?

Last edited by PanTerra; 01-31-2012 at 10:36 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-31-2012, 10:34 PM
 
Location: Ohio
22,288 posts, read 15,653,739 times
Reputation: 18798
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
It was always known that those who asked why Scientists could do this in the lab would, when it was done, argue that just because it was done in a lab doesn't mean that it happened in the past.
For different reasons, both Crick & Watson (the Nobel Prize winners who identified DNA) came to the conclusion that DNA did not originate on Earth.

I happen to agree with their reasoning on both levels. Just because it can happen in a lab, doesn't mean that's the way it actually happened. It might have happened like that elsewhere in this Solar System or region of space, but I'm not convinced that it happened on Earth.

Just saying...


Mircea
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2012, 12:28 PM
 
3,426 posts, read 2,879,644 times
Reputation: 3318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
For different reasons, both Crick & Watson (the Nobel Prize winners who identified DNA) came to the conclusion that DNA did not originate on Earth.

I happen to agree with their reasoning on both levels. Just because it can happen in a lab, doesn't mean that's the way it actually happened. It might have happened like that elsewhere in this Solar System or region of space, but I'm not convinced that it happened on Earth.

Just saying...

Mircea
Whether life on this planet originated here or evolved elsewhere and was "transplanted" (panspermia), it had to start somewhere.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2012, 06:06 PM
 
Location: El Paso, TX
3,338 posts, read 4,043,817 times
Reputation: 2623
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Well, I didn't need to know that these experts were on the can. However, you changed the quote, resulting in a conflation. You probably don't want to do that. Even quote miners don't usually do that. Just sayin'.

No link to the original paper?
If I quote an expert on the field it is not different than others cite examples of research or other experts. As far as the original paper? I am not sure which quote you are referring to but I listed the names fo the books they came from. Take care.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2012, 08:22 PM
 
Location: Richardson, TX
8,720 posts, read 12,417,489 times
Reputation: 3755
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
If I quote an expert on the field it is not different than others cite examples of research or other experts. As far as the original paper? I am not sure which quote you are referring to but I listed the names fo the books they came from. Take care.
You're not sure which quote? It is you're quote that I quoted. Go back through the thread . You added a word to the quote that is not in everyone else's. Why did you do that?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:37 PM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top