Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2012, 10:35 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times

Advertisements

Here are two completely different recent sources with the exact same point of view.

Deciphering Humanity's Archaic Genes - Forbes
DNA Turning Human Story Into a Tell-All - New York Times

At the very least, this new information raises from interesting questions.
  • If Modern Humans originated in Africa, as our DNA suggests, where did Neanderthals and Denisovans originate?
  • If Modern Humans merged with both Neanderthals and Denisovans, did Neanderthals and Denisovans also merge?
  • If Modern Humans, Neanderthals, and Denisovans are three separate and distinct species, how could they reproduce?
The fact that Modern Humans, Neanderthals, and Denisovans apparently did merge, would suggest a common ancestry. Maybe they all began from Homo Erectus in Africa, 1.8 million years ago, splintered into three factions and two of those factions (Neanderthals and Denisovans) left Africa long before "Modern Humans." Long enough to evolve different physical traits based upon their new environment, but still genetically the same species.

This is why I prefer physics to biology.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 02:12 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Mrs. Tek was telling me about some blacks who don't like being referred to as African American because they and their parents aren't from Africa.

I mentioned to her that people forget we are all African Americans because our species first evolved there...

Old 02-07-2012, 02:47 AM

119 posts, read 226,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Mrs. Tek was telling me about some blacks who don't like being referred to as African American because they and their parents aren't from Africa.

I mentioned to her that people forget we are all African Americans because our species first evolved there...
I think if you're an "African American" you should probably go back to Africa. Same if you're an "Irish American", "Japanese American", "Mexican American" etc etc etc. (to their respective parts, or any other part of the world really, whatever suits them)

As far as I know my heritage lies all over Europe, but I don't go around calling myself a "European Mutt American". I'm just an American. So unless you're not actually a citizen call yourself what you are. American.

That's just my $0.02 on that whole matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature