Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 11:55 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times

Advertisements

Of course the usual ones like spiders (some big, hairy spiders too, as big as 15cm/6 inches across), ants, beetles, moths, cockroaches, earwigs.etc.

One house I used to live in used to literally get invaded by THOUSANDS of centipedes during the winter. I was told the town was in the middle of their migratory path. You'd literally see them cover the walls, and it was impossible to step on the ground without squishing them! I'd take a broom and sweep them out the door but minutes later they'd be back as numerous as ever!

I also saw a scorpion - albeit a smaller one - in the bathtub of that house!

Sometimes birds fly into the house if you leave the door open. I've seen several species of lizards, skinks, geckos.etc. In the garden I've seen legless lizards before. Of course we used to have mice now and again too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 05:09 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,198,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Of course the usual ones like spiders (some big, hairy spiders too, as big as 15cm/6 inches across), ants, beetles, moths, cockroaches, earwigs.etc.

One house I used to live in used to literally get invaded by THOUSANDS of centipedes during the winter. I was told the town was in the middle of their migratory path. You'd literally see them cover the walls, and it was impossible to step on the ground without squishing them! I'd take a broom and sweep them out the door but minutes later they'd be back as numerous as ever!

I also saw a scorpion - albeit a smaller one - in the bathtub of that house!

Sometimes birds fly into the house if you leave the door open. I've seen several species of lizards, skinks, geckos.etc. In the garden I've seen legless lizards before. Of course we used to have mice now and again too.
Oh, YUCK! You live in Austrailia, Trimac? The desert part? OMG, I'd die if I ever saw anything like you described in my house or even in my backyard!!! No, thankfully I have only seen the "usual critters".

Old 06-19-2012, 08:49 PM

224 posts, read 828,361 times
Get way too many millipedes in the house! Ick! Also silverfish which drive me crazy.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wembley View Post
Get way too many millipedes in the house! Ick! Also silverfish which drive me crazy.
Man oh man, kid wonders why I won't move down the Texas to near her. At least our bugs dies 5-6 months out of the year!

Old 06-20-2012, 03:30 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
One crisp fall day I want to a little summer house we owned and opened the panel box to turn on the power. It's a good think I looked. An adult black snake was curled around the main power line trying to stay warm. I called the police. They looked, wished me luck, and left. Then I called my lawyer. I should have killed him.

"My, he is a big boy isn't he?" Lawyer is 6'7". The snake's head was as long as hid out stretched hand but not quite as wide. He stood and examined the snake while he lectured me on snakes -- particularly the harmless king/black snakes. The snake did not move until he touched it and it slithered away. If I had known it was that easy I would have done it myself.

I had a wonderful old house that was built before 1900. The eaves were open, but I never went into the attic.
When I put the house up for sale the realtor did. That night I had a guest bat flying around the living room. They are too ugly for words. Who do you call in the middle of the night? I called the police.

"I think I have in the house," I said. The dispatcher didn't miss a beat. "I think I"ll call the bat patrol." They came and chased it out.

I've been bit by fire ants and 5 times by brown recluse spiders in the house. The 1000 chigger bitws came from stepping on a nest I thought was ants. It wasn't and I broke out in hives. All over. The doctor said as long as "I didn't bark and chase cars I'd probably be okay." Nine months later I was 100% normal except now I have a Epi-pens in the house and car.

Old 06-20-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
One crisp fall day I want to a little summer house we owned and opened the panel box to turn on the power. It's a good think I looked. An adult black snake was curled around the main power line trying to stay warm. I called the police. They looked, wished me luck, and left. Then I called my lawyer. I should have killed him.

"My, he is a big boy isn't he?" Lawyer is 6'7". The snake's head was as long as hid out stretched hand but not quite as wide. He stood and examined the snake while he lectured me on snakes -- particularly the harmless king/black snakes. The snake did not move until he touched it and it slithered away. If I had known it was that easy I would have done it myself.

I had a wonderful old house that was built before 1900. The eaves were open, but I never went into the attic.
When I put the house up for sale the realtor did. That night I had a guest bat flying around the living room. They are too ugly for words. Who do you call in the middle of the night? I called the police.

"I think I have in the house," I said. The dispatcher didn't miss a beat. "I think I"ll call the bat patrol." They came and chased it out.

I've been bit by fire ants and 5 times by brown recluse spiders in the house. The 1000 chigger bitws came from stepping on a nest I thought was ants. It wasn't and I broke out in hives. All over. The doctor said as long as "I didn't bark and chase cars I'd probably be okay." Nine months later I was 100% normal except now I have a Epi-pens in the house and car.
WHERE did it slither off to???? That's what I want to know.

Oh man, I love the responses of "your" people. LMAO.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:07 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,573,621 times
Default Help with earwig eradication, please.....

We seem to have an abundance of earwigs in our house and I have read about them - apparently they are harmless but they just gross me out. Does anyone have any good ideas on how to kill them without using harmful chemicals as we have lots of cats in our house. It has to be something that would not harm them, so I think an exterminator is out of the question. In the meantime, I am sucking them up in the vacuum, giving them burial at sea (toilet or sink with lots of water), and smashing them with a paper towel after a good cussing.....They are disgusting.....

We have spiders too, but apparently they don't eat earwigs!!!!

Old 06-27-2012, 08:31 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,328,589 times
Today we installed two, 2nd fl. porch doors, after having one house sparrow, a host of mosquitos, a bunch of moths, and one butterfly come in. I've noticed a few earwigs in the house lately as we have a lot of wet scrap wood lying about outside, under which they've congregated.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:23 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times
"What creepy crawlies and other creatures have you seen in your house?"

You aren't counting relatives, are you???

Mostly the usual. In Florida we had anols and pigmentless frogs that liked the window sills for stages when they gave mating calls. Evicting them was required if we wanted to sleep. The little old house up here that I sometimes use for storage had two huge black snakes one year. They were going after a wren nest inside. Most years I disturb a wren or two in that house and have to guide them out. Silly sods.

We had an injured red tail hawk in Florida one year. I should have just dispatched it, it had been attacked by other birds and its hind end was full of maggots. We took it to a rescue place, they took a look, thanked us, and later told us they had killed it as we left.

DW once went to shoo a possum out of the garage with a broom, only to find that one of the babies was on the broom handle, looking at her. Much hilarity ensued.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:51 AM

6,434 posts, read 5,250,958 times
When I first moved into this condo a year ago, a baby black snake found it's way onto the lanai. I saw my two cats happily hopping up and down on it. I pushed the snake back outside and got busy trying to determine how it got in. The next day, I saw a BIG black snake slithering around the lanai making its way into the shrubbery. I posted on CD and was told it was most likely a black racer that is harmless and common around housing. Apparently the big one was mama and she had given birth underneath the building. The bottom of the lanai screen door had a gap so I put tape across the area and didn't get anymore baby snakes. Yesterday I saw the little Calico intently watching the bottom of a chair in the living room and found a lizard that I put back outside. I think I need to check all the nooks and crannies and my tape fix on the lanai and hopefully keep everything out. I sure don't want a lizard to get past the cats and end up in a closet!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature