U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2012, 02:26 PM

24,507 posts, read 23,032,518 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I had made the comment to twink that I had never seen a snake in my yard in all these years I've been here (40+) in the Copperhead thread and I see it is closed.

As I've stated before, snakes are not on my "favorites list". Last Thursday I was walking from the front yard into the backyard and there was a 3' snake going across the path! I think I scared him more than he scared me though. He ran faster from me and I actually didn't run! I observed him instead when he stopped. That was all because of you guys here. I came in and searched and found out he was a harmless garter snake. If I hadn't learned about snakes from you guys, I would've been on the hunt to kill it instead of enjoying looking at it.

Many thanks from the snake and me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 03:52 PM

5,065 posts, read 15,336,334 times
That is wonderful! I'm happy you are willing to learn more about who you share your environment with, many people aren't, or just don't care. I've tried to tell my neighbors not to be scared of the garter snakes we have, but they still turn and run.

Old 09-21-2012, 02:41 PM

Just want to make a comment about copperheads. We had an incident last weekend with a kid being bitten by one here. Is it because I've never delved into snakes before but I had no idea that we even had that type of snake here in Mass.! I somehow imagined copperheads as "western" snakes.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:28 PM

36,499 posts, read 51,584,177 times
lots of copperheads in the south too- especially in NC.

Old 09-23-2012, 07:42 AM

5,065 posts, read 15,336,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Just want to make a comment about copperheads. We had an incident last weekend with a kid being bitten by one here. Is it because I've never delved into snakes before but I had no idea that we even had that type of snake here in Mass.! I somehow imagined copperheads as "western" snakes.
Thankfully they are extremely rare up here. The northeast area also has timber rattlesnakes, but again they are extremely rare, and experts say the numbers are declining. I do a lot of hiking in the woods, if venomous snakes were common like they are in the south I'd be walking with a big stick just in case I startled one. I do come across non-venomous snakes sunning themselves on rocks sometimes.

Old 09-24-2012, 02:27 PM

The Blue Hills used to be infested with rattlers years ago. That's why they brought in the Black Racers...to clean up the rattlers. Hubby and I came across two rattlers in our journeys of hiking everywhere we went. One was in Whitman's Pond, on one of the islands out there. I think the other time was up in Vermont at a butterfly place.

Old 09-24-2012, 05:29 PM

31,725 posts, read 32,976,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Hi everyone. I had made the comment to twink that I had never seen a snake in my yard in all these years I've been here (40+) in the Copperhead thread and I see it is closed.

As I've stated before, snakes are not on my "favorites list". Last Thursday I was walking from the front yard into the backyard and there was a 3' snake going across the path! I think I scared him more than he scared me though. He ran faster from me and I actually didn't run! I observed him instead when he stopped. That was all because of you guys here. I came in and searched and found out he was a harmless garter snake. If I hadn't learned about snakes from you guys, I would've been on the hunt to kill it instead of enjoying looking at it.

Many thanks from the snake and me.
Good for you! You are so brave! Really, I mean that. A small garter snake got hopelessly stuck in my pond netting last spring. I went out and spent at least half an hour cutting away that plastic, nylon mesh. I did a great job. The little critter didn't have a nick. Did I mention that I don't do snakes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature