U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 06:53 PM

18,847 posts, read 33,406,394 times

Advertisements

I have a small bird feeder, mainly finches. It is really for Jasper, my cat, the feeder sits right by his "bird window" and he can watch them all day. I bought thistle seed today, lots of birds feeding now...I wonder if they know it will be a hard winter? I will get some suet for them in the winter.

In Scouts we used to make birdseed cakes, out of fat and peanut butter.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 07:18 PM

734 posts, read 1,459,901 times
Interesting. I also feed birds- lots of them and varied seeds. I know the squirrels are being voracious but that is nothing new. The raccoons are also beefing up and I saw just tonight that the little ones have grown fast! I was at a farm stand the other day and the old farmer said that the bees are so busy on his sunflowers that he thinks it is going to be a cold winter. Also, tons of yellow jackets there. Always trust an old farmer! There were a few other things that led me to think winter is coming early and hard but I can't remember them all right now. Blonde moments now blending with senior moments. Now that's scary!

Old 08-22-2012, 07:24 PM

16,081 posts, read 21,284,146 times
I love feeding birds. I feed al year, but put more feeders out in spring/summer. This year I have had more finches than ever before. I also found reasonably priced finch food...they are loving it and it isn't breaking the bank. I have a family of robins that come back yearly also. My squirrels have disappeared and there are a couple chip monk looking types...I am not a fan of suirrels/rodents in my back yard. Nice to see other dedicated bird feeders.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:44 PM

I find it relaxing to fill up the feeder in the morning, sit outside with a cup of coffee, and watch them. There are some brave ones who even hop close to me. It is amazing how these wild creatures have adapted and become tame.

They all have distinct personalities, and I like listening to their chirps. The world is good, early in the morning, feeding birds. It is a simple pleasure.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:44 PM

734 posts, read 1,459,901 times
Yes, bird feeding is really a wonderful thing. I have many types of seed but everyone seems to prefer the black oil sunflower. Even the finches. I have a garbage pail lid turned upside down with rocks in it and a hose dripping in to provide fresh water all the time. The birds take some crazy baths in there! Suet is out all the time. Lots of different wood peckers. When I lived in Pa, the pileated wood peckers would visit them too and that sure was a treat for me! I feel bad, though, when I get birds that can't fly. I do try to catch them and take them to the emergency vet who treats them then releases them to the wildlife rehab center. Have a blue jay here today that can't fly but he was able to hop into the higher branches so will look for him tomorrow.
All the dropped seed has led to the turkeys coming every day. They think they live here. I get such enjoyment out of interacting with them and watching their antics. I go out to fill the feeders and say Hi Turkeys and they all come running to me. The only downside is they seem to attract and distribute chiggers but I treated the entire yard with diatamaceous earth (spelling??) this year as it is non-toxic and by gosh it worked! No chiggers!
The squirrels this year have been terrors! I love them as I do all animals and have bottle fed many but geez! They have no respect! LOL They have destroyed almost all my feeders, even the squirrel proof ones! Very tenacious little buggers and I do have to admire their intelligence but they owe me alot of money for the feeders they ruined! When I lived in Pa I started making my own bird feeders, cheaply, because of the bear. I think I may start doing that again!

Old 08-29-2012, 09:21 PM

42,661 posts, read 77,698,159 times
My most successful home-made bird feeder was a fireplace log, about 2 feet long and 4 inches in diameter. I drilled a half a dozen inch-deep holes in with a one-inch drill, and in the winter I got a big glob of free suet from a butcher shop. Pack each hole with the suet, hang the feeder with a screw-eye in the end from a branch, and watch it for woodpeckers, nuthatches, creepers. Starlings will go after it, too, but they can't get purchase on ir with their feet.

Old 08-30-2012, 06:39 PM

18,178 posts, read 12,980,976 times
last year early Sept, I watch a woodchuxk eviscerate by sofa swing and carry about a bushell of nice thick stuffing down its den. You'd figure his/her behavior would be predictive of a cold winter. We id have an unprecedented early snow but the mildest winter in a long time.

birds are migrating so it would make sense that you are getting many visitors. You on a flyway or river?

Old 08-30-2012, 07:50 PM

3,958 posts, read 4,960,147 times
I haven't found a way to put suet out in those little suet cages without the critters getting it during the night. I finally got tired of whole suet cakes disappearing and only put it out little by little in pieces during the day. I'm a bit worried about the scrub jays. The last few weeks I've only seen one and it was seen on only one day. They should be here, but with West Nile being around, they might be in trouble. The Painted Buntings seem to be gone for the year and I'm really missing them!

Old 08-30-2012, 08:31 PM

Ha! I wondered how come my bird feeder was empty all the time. Apparently it is a "deer feeder", two does and two fawns were helping themselves yesterday.

Old 09-01-2012, 03:02 AM

35,766 posts, read 35,555,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I have a small bird feeder, mainly finches. It is really for Jasper, my cat, the feeder sits right by his "bird window" and he can watch them all day. I bought thistle seed today, lots of birds feeding now...I wonder if they know it will be a hard winter? I will get some suet for them in the winter.

In Scouts we used to make birdseed cakes, out of fat and peanut butter.
I have fun feeding blue jays. They love peanuts in the shell. They will come and pick them up off the ground and take them to a nearby tree to open them. After one spots the peanuts, he calls his friends over.

And brown thrashers and mockingbirds like the red grapes.

The good part is while I sit there and feed them I can eat the same food too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature