Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2012, 09:09 AM

18,755 posts, read 17,995,119 times

Advertisements

Here is a picture that demonstrates how wildlife can still survive with all odds against it. I took this picture about seven years ago. I had a very large dominate doe that declared my back yard as her territory. This was in the rut and she did have many healthy suitors. However; this seven pointer showed up and chased the others away. I don't know if he was in a car accident or was shot and lost his front leg? He obviously had lived with his injuries for a very long time. He has arthritis or calcification in his good front right leg – plus a large scar. His rear hooves were worn down to stubs from walking almost upright. His front leg was used mainly for support.

He showed up to mate with my large doe and then went his own way. I never saw him again.

What amazed me is that he survived the devastating injury. If it was a horse or a farm animal we would have euthanized the animal. This buck survived without any human intervention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 09:23 AM

Sorry I'm having problems posting my picture. Here is one more try:

Old 09-04-2012, 10:23 AM

23,340 posts, read 17,021,387 times
Great story and photo.

Deer are tenacious of life for sure!

Here is a buck I photographed last year at the end of summer. At first I thought he was just about to run when I realized he had hip damage probably from a car that had occurred quite some time ago. antlers may sometimes reflect heath or trauma so this guy was looking pretty good and I'll bet he would soon be chasing does.

One day I watched a young buck come along with his antler and scalp hanging in front of his face. He stuck his head in some multiflora rose in an attempt to pull the antler and scalp off as if it were antler velvet. poor deer. He walked a bit further saw a group of does and off he went chasing does over the hill.

I still have an article from Jr of Wldlfe Bio that showed a deer skull with a healed crack completely around his head at a vertical position thru the widest part of the skull/ ziogomatic breadth. Apparent in the past the deer ran into a car cracked his skull in half and lived to later be shot during the hunting season.

If you watched a 3 legged deer run you wouldn't know it until he stopped and saw a leg was missing.

No imagination is needed to see their tolerance for pain and condition is exponentially far above that of humans. In a deer's world, if you can move you can mate.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:27 AM

23,340 posts, read 17,021,387 times
You can see that the OP's deer also had a broken right front leg as evidenced from the large lump. how on earth did that deer survive!?

You can see his antlers reflected the trauma. Like horse when the founder or bowes lines in human fingernails. A furrow appears across the nail or hoof when any significant illness occurs.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:10 PM

Kracer,

I actually got to see that seven pointer mate with my large doe. She had a four pointer and a spike hanging around her and they wanted no part of the three legged one. Maybe it was the unicorn kind of horn that he had sticking up off his head? He walked almost only on the rear two legs with just using the front leg to balance – that is why his back is so arched. He did look almost normal when running.

It amazed me that he survived his injuries – he had to have lost a lot of blood (from both front legs).

On an old computer, that quit on me, I had pictures of two buck that ran around for weeks with arrows stuck in them. One had an arrow through it's jaw and the tip was close to the jugular vein – he still mated with one of the doe. I might have those pictures on one of my other old computers? We do have a picture of a buck with a broken front ankle and you would not know – if you did not get a closeup picture.

It just amazes me how animals have overcome adversity without our help.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:16 PM

13,396 posts, read 44,908,300 times
Wow. I'm just blown away by the pictures in the thread, and the pictures in my head.
I've seen geese flying with arrows through them, but nothing like that buck.
Talk about overcoming a disability.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:46 PM

50,075 posts, read 46,640,356 times
Shot an Elk one year and noticed it was kind of small for a 5 point. Later found a broadhead buried into it's spine. How it could walk normally is beyond me. Pretty tough critters.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:29 PM

36,979 posts, read 40,961,186 times
Apparently limb injuries can affect antler growth:

http://outdoorchannel.com/Hunting/Ne...iled-Deer.aspx

Other tripod deer:

Deer Leg Injuries

Old 09-06-2012, 01:41 AM

42,579 posts, read 86,637,395 times
Don't lose sight of the Big Picture. Species that did not quickly evolve or retain a will to live, did not live. They are extinct. and have been for millions of years. and we are not aware of their existence. They just flickered out. Those that still exist had, by definition, a will to live.

"Every truth is a part of a larger truth"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature