Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 08:38 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
It should be noted that in Eastern states such as PA most coyotes are hybrids, the result of matings with wolves, thus tend to be half again as heavy as are our pure strain Western coyotes. They also exibit more wolf like behavior, such as forming small packs. Because of these differences they do take adult deer. Three or four 40 pound Eastern coyotes are certainly a threat to a deer, although once again a mature buck with antlers would still be a formidable target for such a group, and very well could bang them up pretty good and fight his way clear and get away. In the West, a pair of 25 pounders is not much of a threat to a big buck, and the wise coyotes usually rarely try, except when they have some kind of advantage. An example of this might be a buck badly injured during the rut, or one weak from winter starvation hampered by heavy snow.
I forgot about the difference. I think that they even recorded one at 74 pounds.

I am pretty sure that I had one stalking me in my garden years ago. Is it possible that coyotes have learned to imitate a buck snort? I had this one animal that would keep closing in on me while always staying just out of sight. There is some grownup and unused land adjacent to my garden – it was too thick to clearly see what was closing in. Deer do not usually close in on humans – the snort is usually a warning that we or danger are around. This went on for several weeks. One evening I played a crippled rabbit call and had a coyote come in. I gave it a little lead and never heard the phoney buck snort again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 02:32 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,222,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Please don't get mad at me folks but I was wondering how would a single coyote fair against a bigger dog such as a rotty or a decent size pitbull?
The coyote would be dead in seconds, it would have zero chance. Am skeptical about tales of coyotes luring big dogs into traps and then ganging up on them, think that most of them are bunk. Size still does count, and a Rotty will be at least triple the weight of an average coyote.

Some time ago a now former in law lived in a semi rural area and had a typical, good natured Golden Retriever that was allowed to roam free. Coyotes were common, yet the dog never had a problem with them and was never harmed, in fact, somewhat the opposite occurred. On two observed occasions a coyote and the dog met up, and both times the coyote displayed submissive behavior, cringing, head and tail held very low, etc., likely puzzling the pooch that perhaps only wanted to play.

Old 10-18-2012, 06:30 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
Yes you most definately should be concerned . Get yourself a shot gun and or a handgun and stay aware and alert and please dont have your dogs out there with you . You should only have to worry about yourself , I would leave my dogs in the house while im gardening and be careful when you turn your back . I know plenty of ppl who live in the country and they are constantly on guard over the wolves and coyotes .

Old 10-18-2012, 06:36 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,318,192 times
I think that I will walk my wife's pommy with my rotty and keep a 45 on me as well

Old 10-18-2012, 07:51 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,182,157 times
http://speha.org/wp-content/uploads/...er12-10-09.pdf
Quote:
Last spring, a Southmoor Park East resident and her dog were attacked by a small pack of coyotes just as they stepped outside of the door of her home. The wild animals bit and scratched her as she tried to protect herself and her aging retriever.
Coyote snatches Chihuahua off Englewood trail - The Denver Post
Quote:
An aggressive coyote snatched a Chihuahua off a park walking path, within feet of the pet's startled owner, and ran off with the dog.
Huntington Beach:Coyote Attack: Coyotes Snatch Dog on Walk in Huntington Beach - ktla.com
Quote:
A couple says they were walking their small two dogs at the Huntington Beach Central Park nature reserve when a trio of coyotes snatched one of the dogs, named Chloe

Old 10-19-2012, 02:46 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,476,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Like stan4, I think you've been watching too many Roadrunner cartoons.
We have a lot of coyotes in our area and it is known for them to send one of their females in heat to try to lure male dogs near them. No, they don't plot or make a plan of attack, geez, give me a break.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:54 AM

848 posts, read 1,952,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
We have a lot of coyotes in our area and it is known for them to send one of their females in heat to try to lure male dogs near them. No, they don't plot or make a plan of attack, geez, give me a break.
Absolutely! This is basic for anyone who has a modicum of knowledge about coyote behavior.

Also, a domestic dog, excepting perhaps specialized working breeds such as Great Pyrenees, Kuvasz, Anatolian Shepherd, etc. would probably not fare well in a fight with a coyote. They simply don't have the fight and kill instinct of a wild predator. Also, a single coyote that would attack one of the larger breed dogs is either uncommonly aggressive or potentially rabid.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:40 AM

741 posts, read 1,679,009 times
I live in the desert (outside Phoenix) and we have a lot of coyotes ..I see them almost every night and sometimes day..One morning I was out walking one of my chihuahuas (the one who obeys and stays close to me without a leash--in fact he wont budge if I try to put a harness on him) Anyway, I paused while he was peeing on a tree about 15 yards away..It was early--like 6 am..and very quiet.. I looked and it was very surreal as a coyote was standing about 6 feet away from my dog! My dog didnt even see her (the coyote) !!!! I didn't even have time to THINK.. I flew to my dog, yelling and screaming, waving my arms wildly, swooped him up in my arm and started throwing rocks at the coyote yelling , "GO AWAY! GO AWAY!".. It took about 15-30 seconds before she decided to back off.. She stood there staring at me thinking of whether or not to attack my dog even though he was now in my arm. Finally, she slowly backed off and walked away slowly..
After that incident my dog is NEVER outside unless he is in the backyard for a few minutes while I am watching him the entire time..
A coyote will grab your dog if given the chance..

I want to ad that after this happened I was completely hysterical..I went into my house sobbing and shaking so badly..The fight or flight instinct kicked in and the amount of adrenalin was probably the highest that it could be with cortisol raging through my entire body!

Last edited by LuciaMomof6; 10-19-2012 at 10:50 AM.. Reason: I need to ad something

Old 10-21-2012, 05:24 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,239,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciaMomof6 View Post
I live in the desert (outside Phoenix) and we have a lot of coyotes ..I see them almost every night and sometimes day..One morning I was out walking one of my chihuahuas (the one who obeys and stays close to me without a leash--in fact he wont budge if I try to put a harness on him) Anyway, I paused while he was peeing on a tree about 15 yards away..It was early--like 6 am..and very quiet.. I looked and it was very surreal as a coyote was standing about 6 feet away from my dog! My dog didnt even see her (the coyote) !!!! I didn't even have time to THINK.. I flew to my dog, yelling and screaming, waving my arms wildly, swooped him up in my arm and started throwing rocks at the coyote yelling , "GO AWAY! GO AWAY!".. It took about 15-30 seconds before she decided to back off.. She stood there staring at me thinking of whether or not to attack my dog even though he was now in my arm. Finally, she slowly backed off and walked away slowly..
After that incident my dog is NEVER outside unless he is in the backyard for a few minutes while I am watching him the entire time..
A coyote will grab your dog if given the chance..

I want to ad that after this happened I was completely hysterical..I went into my house sobbing and shaking so badly..The fight or flight instinct kicked in and the amount of adrenalin was probably the highest that it could be with cortisol raging through my entire body!
Very interesting story indeed. IMO, you're lucky that your friend wasn't snatched.
What are you now doing to protect you and your friend?

Old 10-21-2012, 05:30 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,239,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Okay, so coyotes will inevitably kill dogs. Which begs the question, what about all those coyote/dog crosses out there?

We have coyotes all around out here, and while we've lost cats, it's never been to a coyote (mostly to old age). We've never lost a calf or foal to coyotes. When we had a Great Pyrenees, the coyotes avoided our place (and every other place in the area with a GP); something about a breed that was bred to be able to successfully fight bears seems to make the coyotes uncomfortable. Donkeys are good for that, too, but impractical in an urban environment. Also, there's plenty of natural prey for them here, something that might not be as much the case in an urban environment, either (though most people would be surprised at the wildlife that exists right around them but takes care not to be seen).

Speaking of which, I used to often see, 40 years ago, a coyote running with a pack of dogs about five blocks from downtown Dallas.

Mod cut: Orphaned (deleted in quoted post).
Yes they are! When we lived out west, we went to this locksmith named "Bill" who lived in the mountains. He had several donkeys on his ranch. He told us that one was a bear killer. I said "WHAT"?? Bill said yup, she'll let you know if there are any bears nearby, and if any came close to her, she'd stomp it to death. It's amazing how much city folks don't know.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 10-24-2012 at 11:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature