Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 02:28 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
A crow used to land on a fence post next to my house. One day i put some dog food on the post and the crow never came back again. Why i have no idea.
I might suggest an explanation: The fence post he was used to sitting on was suddenly "different." All animals are keenly aware of what constitutes normal in their environment. Any change in that normalcy can arouse suspicion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 03:03 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,238,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I might suggest an explanation: The fence post he was used to sitting on was suddenly "different." All animals are keenly aware of what constitutes normal in their environment. Any change in that normalcy can arouse suspicion.
I wondered that myself.Because it was food i wasn't sure. Dry dog food.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:16 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,654,429 times
Quote:
Because something is legal, doesn't necessarily make it right. If you were the farmer whose crops were being damaged, or if a thousand roosting crows were leaving foot-thick piles of excrement on your lawn - then yeah - something would have to be done.

But your description sounded a lot more like a couple of good ol' boys having a bit of "sport" by luring animals you have no intention of eating just to kill them.

THAT is disgusting.

Crows have extended family relationships. Not just parents are involved in the raising of the young. "Aunts and uncles" take their turn minding and teaching them. Kill one and the ripple effect is felt among many. Kill many...and the math just gets sadder.
This. I wish the birds were armed to at least fight back. I love crows, ravens, all birds.

Old 12-13-2012, 09:05 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,170,667 times
I love birds,I even had a pet bird and we raise chickens layers and meat birds.
They are tasty BBQ'ed ,fried, or baked.

Except for the handful of recipes for preparing crow, why in this day of rampant animal rights fanaticism, should we continue to hunt and kill an animal that has no real monetary value? The reason is that the crow has and continues to exhibit behavior that ranges from annoying to highly destructive In agricultural areas, be it the pecan plantations of the south or the cornfields of the mid-west, crows continue to account for extensive crop damage, including the nasty habit of pulling up sprouting grain in the spring. Western crows have the worst reputation for crop damage, especially because of their habit of congregating by the thousands to feed on cultivated fruits and nuts. Often, they end the day by raiding a nearby watermelon field in order to save a trip to a distant watering place. Under such conditions, total crop loss can occur.

Where their ranges overlap, crows severely impact the annual waterfowl populations. When the hens begin laying, crows break open and eat the eggs. Later they will return and devour the fledglings. In the 40's a biological survey was conducted that really shows the damage crows can cause to the waterfowl in the Canadian "Duck Factory". It was shown that crows in close proximity to duck nesting areas took an average of 110 to 120 eggs or fledglings per crow per year, approximately 20,000,000 ducks. During the same year, sportsman only took 11,000,000 ducks. A common slogan of the time was "Kill a crow, Save a duck". At a time when waterfowl seasons are being dramatically reduced and even canceled, the survival rate of waterfowl at their breeding grounds is paramount. Shooting crows can make a real difference. Crows also take a heavy toll on upland game birds, including direct responsibility for at least 4 1/2 percent nest depredation on ruffed grouse and in California crows have been implicated in the endangerment of the Mojave desert tortoise. They also prey on small mammals such as rabbits and squirrels and have been known to kill prey as large as newborn lambs.[Crow Busters - Why Hunt Crows

More recently, crows have been identified as a carrier of the west Nile virus, an encephalitis type virus that has killed at least 155 people to date.

Last edited by snofarmer; 12-13-2012 at 09:21 AM..

Old 12-13-2012, 10:59 AM

Nice try. But none of that has anything to do with why you and your buddy killed them. You said yourself it was a tune-up, a practice session for when you felt like killing some ducks.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:03 AM

When we used to inject Anhydrous ammonia into the ground to grow corn.One of the deals of the day was to wait until the wind was right and take out crows following the tractor to get worms we turned up.
Wait until they were in the right spot and lift the unit out of the ground and a White cloud of Vapor would drop them right out of the air.
Then you always had to be on guard for the boss driving by. That stuff is expensive!

Old 12-13-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Crows get shot starlings get trapped and killed.
starlings,
Legal Status
Starlings are exempt from the Migratory Bird Treaty Act (MBTA) of 1918, which was passed for the protection of migratory birds. Their nests, eggs, young, and/or adults may be removed or destroyed at any time. No permit is required.
For crows, we play a cd of their calls over a trucks stereo, doors open volume turned up.
Then we hide in the trucks topper or a blind, when they get close we jump out and shoot.
it's a great way to get ready for duck hunting,and we eliminate a few crows
We did that also. Great trick.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
We did that also. Great trick.
Uh-huh. Boy-howdy! Humans are real smart.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:42 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,170,667 times
If it was not legal nor a benefit to the eco system it would not be legal for us to play crow calls and shoot them dead.

Duel purpose, it removes the crows and serves as a tuen up for duck hunting.
One action can serve more that one purpose.
2 birds one stone...
You can use words like "KIll" for sensationalism and to invoke some sort of unwarranted emotion if that is your game, we say CULL.

but sno~ I love crows, and to much of a good thing is a bad thing.

Duck tastes better than crow.

Quote:
Nice try. But none of that has anything to do with why you and your buddy killed them. You said yourself it was a tune-up, a practice session for when you felt like killing some ducks.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:47 PM

We were planting beans one year and a storm front was moving in from the east.
A Red Tailed hawk had been hanging around following me for rats and mice. Cold air moving in just before the rain and a 20-25 mph breeze. Here came two Crows after the HAWK. He tried to get away but they had the wind behind them and that gave them the speed to catch up to him. That Hawk just did a wing over to the right and dived on one of those crows and he went down in a Cartwheel and crashed in the field(no flames! lol). 2ndCrow got out of there real quick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature