Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2012, 08:46 PM

17,876 posts, read 15,777,757 times

Advertisements

Have the Carribean nations extirpated their population of dangerous animals for the sake of tourists?

I have been to places like Dominican Republic, and Puerto Rico, and wanted to see some wildlife. I did ask the tour desks, guides and independant solicitors if there are animals like the american crocodile to see in their natural environment. They said there are none on the island on both islands. I also prefer activities on the water and asked if there is a tour company which will take me out to sea, and allow me to observe sharks from one of those submersed cages I see on discovery channel. And they said there are no sharks nearby.

Even when I was in New Orleans, they had a preserve somewhere that had alligators and crocodiles. They took you up a river in a little boat and saw them in their natural habitat.

What about places like the Yucatan in Mexico? That is a heavy tourist destination. Has the whole coastline been developed into beach resorts with no space left over for predators like the crocodile?

Last edited by NJ Brazen_3133; 12-07-2012 at 08:47 PM.. Reason: spelling error
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature