Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 09:11 PM

51,691 posts, read 15,692,067 times

Advertisements

Glad she wasn't hungry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 09:32 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,222,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Beautiful animal but I swear I would have peed my pants if I had been in that vehicle!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Lady123 View Post
Glad she wasn't hungry.
No danger or threat whatsoever. Of all the planet's large mammal predators the cheetah is the most inoffensive and least dangerous. There has never been a confirmed attack on a human by a wild cheetah, although believe there have been a couple of instances involving tame cheetahs that injured humans. The thing is, if one of these cats should ever actually desire to do so, it could certainly kill or injure a person. Cheetahs lose many kills to other predators, and are dominated by hyenas, leopards, even baboons, and of course, lions, which kill them whenever they can. To the uninitiated, cheetahs and leopards are often confused with one another. This is a huge error, leopards are a very, very different animal. Had that cat in the vehicle neen a leopard and not a cheetah, those folks really would have been in danger and have had something to be worried about.

Old 12-27-2012, 05:38 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
Cheetahs are my fav big cats
I would have loved to be there. I've seen enough of these videos, that the only big cat I wouldnt want to see is a leopard
even lions seem oblivious to these film or tourist vehicles, as do elephants, which has always struck me kinda odd....

and I agree with the poster that said, without tourists, these cats may be extinct by now

at first when the cheetah jumped up on the vehicle, im thinking it just wanted a higher view
but when it laid down,,it is totally comfortable with humans, which is a good thing- if it was being shot at, poached, then it wouldnt be so comfortable

check out this lady,,with wild cheetahs....
A brave woman teases wild cheetahs(Marlice Van Der Merwe) - YouTube

Old 12-29-2012, 06:33 AM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,382,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
Cheetahs are my fav big cats
I would have loved to be there. I've seen enough of these videos, that the only big cat I wouldnt want to see is a leopard
even lions seem oblivious to these film or tourist vehicles, as do elephants, which has always struck me kinda odd....
As long as the humans aren't aggressive, they're just another fellow creature on the savannah to the animals, just another part of their world.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:12 PM

515 posts, read 778,170 times
Great video and a once in a lifetime experience for sure! I have a house cat that shows the same mannerisms of that big Cheetah. It's neat how all species of animals, especially cats and canines, as diversified as their breeds have become, still have the same basic instincts as their ancestors.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:49 AM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,382,128 times
^
That is one of the cool things about cats. You can see the tiger, lion, cheetah, etc. in them.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:13 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,562,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
ohh that was fabulous, she is gorgeous! I don't think I would have been afraid - I just wanted to touch her and give her something to eat. She was skinny! What a wonderful experience for those people.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:15 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,562,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
I agree that is a spectacularly beautiful cheetah BUT I totally disagree with letting a bunch of yahoos with cameras invade the living space of a species that is facing the possibility of extinction. Though the idea of a tour is all fine and good, I guarantee you that if that poor creature had made one wrong move, someone would have put a bullet in her in a heartbeat. It is just not right for human beings to feel so superior to every single creature on earth that we feel we have to encroach on territory that is home to someone else. I realize my opinion is my own and probably will not be popular with most people, but dammit, that is the home of that cat and she deserves to live there and be able to hunt, mate, and raise her young without the danger of human beings spoiling her habitat. She could just as easily have ended up dead as well as she finally roamed off. That just upsets me. There.....I said it.
I hear what you're saying, but tourism is what allows these kind of sanctuaries to survive. It's wonderful that they can stay in their native habitat.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:24 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
When the cheetah walked by at the beginning, I was saying, "Man, that thing could TOTALLY jump up to the top where those people are and take them out". No sooner was I done saying that then he did exactly that. I'm way over here, in my home, far from the cheetah and MY heart jumped.

The first thing I would have done when the cheetah finally jumped down is smack the crap out of that guy with the camera phone for constantly raising the phone up to take a pic. Then I would have smacked the crap out of everyone else on that jeep who kept laughing and making noise.

"WHAT PART OF 'JUST STAY STILL' AND BE QUIET DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND?!?!!?!?!?!"

That is, if I hadn't died of a heart attack before then.

When I calmed down and the adrenaline from the fear had finally gone away, I would then have enjoyed the fact that a cheetah had been on my fricken safari jeep! HOLY cripes!

And finally, since I've never been on an African safari, I was unaware that there would be 300 vehicles out there all at the same time. Kind of ruins it, I think. I always thought you would go out and be on your own but it's just like any other tourist attraction...totally overcrowded and noisy. What a let down.

But wow, what a thrill that must have been. I wonder how often that happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature