Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2012, 05:35 PM

50,245 posts, read 47,005,641 times

Advertisements

What date have you noticed shedding? I saw some bizarre behavior unless it was a buck, which I think it was. I saw an anter-less Deer (large) try and mount a smaller one. I've seen cattle do this so maybe it's just a dominant behavior?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 05:37 PM

45,336 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Here in the east late Winter/early Spring is antler drop. You might have seen an antlerless buck.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:59 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,167,411 times
We see them drop around late March to April.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Here in the east late Winter/early Spring is antler drop. You might have seen an antlerless buck.
Could be this year. This one buck in this area usually is a none by 3 as in only grows one side. This year he could have not grown.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:40 AM

23,534 posts, read 17,211,948 times
In Nj they could drop from December to March. Every critter has different hormones just like people. not every woman menstruates at the same age or guys get 2ndry sex characteristics the same time.

This year in Maine I was with a friend who found a perfect pair of fresh moose sheds laying side by side the day before Thanksgiving. Looked as if the antlers were dropped within a day or two based on the slight amount of blood on the base.

Saw one screwed up buck that had 6 pt velevet antlers in early April.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:37 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,473,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
In Nj they could drop from December to March. Every critter has different hormones just like people. not every woman menstruates at the same age or guys get 2ndry sex characteristics the same time.

This year in Maine I was with a friend who found a perfect pair of fresh moose sheds laying side by side the day before Thanksgiving. Looked as if the antlers were dropped within a day or two based on the slight amount of blood on the base.
Saw one screwed up buck that had 6 pt velevet antlers in early April.
^^^ That's pretty neat, I'd love to find moose antlers like that.

Here in the Northwest we go looking soon after the snow melts, which is like March or April.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:44 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,125,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
^^^ That's pretty neat, I'd love to find moose antlers like that.

Here in the Northwest we go looking soon after the snow melts, which is like March or April.
I agree with Kracer. Antler drop times can vary and it could be linked to genetics. Here in the Northeast we can have good years for acorns and bad years – so the deer's diet will vary. Don't forget that we have many humans that interfere with nature by supplying mineral licks – of course not all deer get at these licks. I always thought that extremely cold conditions can trigger an antler drop. I have had bucks around my house that lost their horns after a week of below zero weather. I have seen bucks loose their horns around Thanksgiving and some not until late winter/early fall.

By the way, as far as finding horns in the wild; our field mice eat the horns fairly quick. I am sure there are larger carnivores that would also enjoy the bone and calcium supplement. I have ducks and the female ducks go out of their way to eat eggshells. Nature seems to know what minerals they need to survive.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:49 AM

Shed hunting is a good sport right about now to Spring. Get em before the porkys do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature