Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 06:48 AM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,391,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate Nancy View Post
I would have loved to see it. My friend outside of Albany,NY (Altamont) has seen one in her yard meandering about. Wooded large area. We were just talking about it yesterday actually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
South Carolina
I hadn't realized bobcats were so populous on the east coast. Cool!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 06:49 AM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,391,518 times
Quote:
Lol....pretty cool, indeed!

Not that much bigger than a large house cat, but longer legs....the markings are stunning.
That's one of the things I like about cats. Their markings are "perfect."

Old 12-29-2012, 08:41 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Yes, cats are perfect in general.

bjh-I have no reps to give, so feel better soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
That's one of the things I like about cats. Their markings are "perfect."

Old 12-29-2012, 05:43 PM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
We have so many of those. While hunting I knick-named one Tommy. He was quite entertaining while I was in camp. I spent hours with a set of binos watching him do his thing catching critters in the meadow.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:02 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Has anybody ever heard a bob cat scream? Thirty five years ago, when we first bought our current house; we had a bob that lived in our neighborhood. In the middle of the night he/she would perch on top of a dog house left from past owners. It could have been a mating call or some form of communication? Whatever call it was; it was blood curdling. It sounded like a woman was being strangled. This animal also liked to give this scream in the wee hours of the morning – when we were sleeping.

The cat finally moved on – we did not miss it's presence. If I was going to be woken by an animal; I would rather have a rooster – at least I know the sun will be rising shortly.

One other annoying animal is our Northern Flicker. Has anybody ever had a flicker tap a mating call on their aluminum rain gutters? We have had these birds that use our gutters as a drum to beat – it sounds as if somebody with a jackhammer is on the roof. We have not had one for several years. I don't know if it was only one individual bird or if others also have adopted this practice?

Old 12-30-2012, 08:43 AM

I've had Red-bellied woodpeckers do the same---quite loud!

Would like to hear a bobcat scream-but not every night

My female cat has a horrible scream, sounds like she is in the throes of dying a painful death-so I run in the room and of course, she is perfectly fine and has just seen another cat out the window...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Has anybody ever heard a bob cat scream? Thirty five years ago, when we first bought our current house; we had a bob that lived in our neighborhood. In the middle of the night he/she would perch on top of a dog house left from past owners. It could have been a mating call or some form of communication? Whatever call it was; it was blood curdling. It sounded like a woman was being strangled. This animal also liked to give this scream in the wee hours of the morning – when we were sleeping.

The cat finally moved on – we did not miss it's presence. If I was going to be woken by an animal; I would rather have a rooster – at least I know the sun will be rising shortly.

One other annoying animal is our Northern Flicker. Has anybody ever had a flicker tap a mating call on their aluminum rain gutters? We have had these birds that use our gutters as a drum to beat – it sounds as if somebody with a jackhammer is on the roof. We have not had one for several years. I don't know if it was only one individual bird or if others also have adopted this practice?

Old 12-30-2012, 09:14 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,766 times
Quote:
I've had Red-bellied woodpeckers do the same---quite loud!

Would like to hear a bobcat scream-but not every night

My female cat has a horrible scream, sounds like she is in the throes of dying a painful death-so I run in the room and of course, she is perfectly fine and has just seen another cat out the window...
I have heard that if a woodpecker starts pecking at your house, you might want to check any wood in the area. They have a natural radar that lets them find soft wood to build nests. Might mean your house has some spots that are rotting

My nemesis is the squirrel. They hiss like cats. Sometimes it's very loud

I love the sound of birds. At night, in the day . . . I love to hear them.
Now, constantly barking dogs ---->

Old 12-30-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
I have heard that if a woodpecker starts pecking at your house, you might want to check any wood in the area. They have a natural radar that lets them find soft wood to build nests. Might mean your house has some spots that are rotting
These are not woodpeckers going after insects. I have a T1-11 house and if I have not stained it for a few years with stain+insect repellent; I get woodpeckers at my siding.

There is a distinct difference between the matting call on the aluminum rain gutter and woodpeckers going after bugs. They use the rain gutter to deliberately amplify their drum beat. They tend to do this as the sun is first rising (almost like a roster crowing). If you ever heard this; you would remember.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:45 AM

The RBW was at my last house in NC and yes, some minor work was needed!

Speaking of woodpeckers... since I have moved to Charleston, my pleasure has recently been watching a pair of Pileated woodpeckers out the sliding door-one chasing the other around and around the tree....
in a few months, I'll then see juvenile PWs...

I agree-love to hear all nature sounds-
love the canine
but dog(s) barking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post

My nemesis is the squirrel. They hiss like cats. Sometimes it's very loud

I love the sound of birds. At night, in the day . . . I love to hear them.
Now, constantly barking dogs ---->

Old 12-30-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
The RBW was at my last house in NC and yes, some minor work was needed!

Speaking of woodpeckers... since I have moved to Charleston, my pleasure has recently been watching a pair of Pileated woodpeckers out the sliding door-one chasing the other around and around the tree....
in a few months, I'll then see juvenile PWs...

I agree-love to hear all nature sounds-
love the canine
but dog(s) barking...
My wife and I watched six Pileated woodpeckers on one small dead tree. There was so much wood flying that it could have been a couple of lumberjacks. It is a good thing that we never saw them on our house – we would only have toothpicks left!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature